• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ARDA ROC/PAC Voluntary Contribution

NJN2Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking over my maintenance fees. What does the $10 per unit ARDA ROC/PAC Voluntary Contribution pay for? :confused: What has this "political arm" done for timeshare owners lately? Is it worthwhile? Do YOU pay the fee?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I am looking over my maintenance fees. What does the $10 per unit ARDA ROC/PAC Voluntary Contribution pay for? :confused: What has this "political arm" done for timeshare owners lately? Is it worthwhile? Do YOU pay the fee?

We don't pay the fee, and never felt a need to investigate it beyond making sure that not paying it would have no negative effect on the use of our weeks.

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
We do not pay the fee because a group that represents developer interests is not representing owner interests. IF this were a worthwhile group for owners the HOAs would support it.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We paid it last year, and I may this year. Unfortunatly lobbying is necessary in the political envrionment. With the need for possible a bailout for the TS industry, that $10 may go a long way. I believe TUG is also a member of the ARDA.

Last edited:

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
Why would the timeshare industry need a bailout?

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
My understanding is that they have lobbied against timeshares paying hotel transient fees, that sort of thing. If we had to pay those "hotel" taxes it would up our costs. And make it tougher for developers to sell. A rare win-win for TS owners and developers. And yes, I typically pay the voluntary fee.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My understanding is that they have lobbied against timeshares paying hotel transient fees, that sort of thing. If we had to pay those "hotel" taxes it would up our costs. And make it tougher for developers to sell. A rare win-win for TS owners and developers. And yes, I typically pay the voluntary fee.

This is a great point. Visitors to Hawaii know these taxes very well. If all governments charged these taxes it would make timesharing far less attractive to me as an owner thus making it harder for developers to sell weeks. The small fee now may save many larger ones in the future.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't believe those of you that pay it.

The ARDA contribution fits right in with the way developers run the timeshare industry. They have you paying for their lobbyists. ARDA doesn't represent you in any way or form, and if you don't make that contribution they will continue to lobby for the things you mentioned because it helps the developers.

Don't be a fool.

And this is the first I heard that somebody thinks TUG is a member of ARDA. I'd like to know if that's true or not.

-David

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Check the bottom of the main TUG page at http://www.tug2.net/

What a colossal waste of our TUG money! I repeat my earlier question, if ARDA was such an important organization for owners why aren't the HOAs members? Show me a significant body of specific legislation where they made a difference in the outcome and that outcome was beneficial to owners.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'll have to rethink renewing my paid membership here, if they are paying money to ARDA.

-David

TUG is too valuable a resource to me to not pay membership here; we've certainly gotten our money's worth. Plus, based on Brian's post in the Lounge thread it looks like he may be taking a second look at TUG's support of ARDA. That's enough for me.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
TUG was given a complimentary ARDA membership, we do not pay for it.

However as mentioned in the other thread, if this story does turn out to be true...its certainly not something TUG would support in any way shape or form.

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

However as mentioned in the other thread, if this story does turn out to be true...its certainly not something TUG would support in any way shape or form.

Excellent!

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge

NO. As others have posted, ARDA represents the developers.

Ingrid

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score

Brian,

Thank you for the clarification.

Personally, I would like to see you disassociate TUG from ARDA and remove the link and logo from the TUG web site. The "free" membership, IMO, is just another way that they give the illusion that ARDA represents owners interests, and IMO, it doesn't, except in some cases where developers interests and owners interests overlap. Even then, their real constituency is the developers.

-David

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
What a colossal waste of our TUG money! I repeat my earlier question, if ARDA was such an important organization for owners why aren't the HOAs members? Show me a significant body of specific legislation where they made a difference in the outcome and that outcome was beneficial to owners.

It may be the lack of legislation where you get the benefit. Would you prefer to pay transient taxes on all of your nightly TS stays? The fact that legislation has not been enacted in many states it to your benefit.

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It may be the lack of legislation where you get the benefit. Would you prefer to pay transient taxes on all of your nightly TS stays? The fact that legislation has not been enacted in many states it to your benefit.

So show me where they defeated the legislation. If they want support they need to demonstrate results that benefit owners.

And quite honestly, living in Florida I understand the need for transient taxes when the economy is largely based on tourism. There is a significant infrastructure investment and operating costs that support tourism and the tax base needs to be fairly allocated between residents and tourists. That is not an easy discussion and requires an in-depth understanding of the state and local tax structure. It is not an all of nothing proposition.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Jim -

ARDA has been instrumental many times in lobbying successfully for and against (depending on the issue) legislation and tax assessors' administrative decisions with resulting positive impact for timeshare owners. Many of those lobbying efforts have been reported here on TUG.

A sampling of ARDA's recent successful efforts:

- The Taney County, Missouri Assessor's office decided last year that any lodging facility renting or advertising rooms for transient use for even one night of the year will be reclassified on a commercial property tax basis, effectively raising property taxes that would be passed on to timeshare owners through MFs by 13%. ARDA, working in concert with outside counsel and a coalition of opponents to the decision, helped convince the Board of Equalization to reverse the adverse decision.

- After some seven years of working on litigation, proposed legislation, rules and ordinances, ARDA achieved its goal of preventing taxation of timeshare owners and exchangers in Washoe County, Nevada. The Washoe County Commission passed the transient lodging tax ordinance amendment clarifying how transient lodging taxes apply to timeshares. ARDA was successful in getting language into the ordinance that excludes from the transient tax any timeshare unit occupied by the owner of the timeshare unit or by non-paying guests of the owner. ARDA is currently working in Clark County (Las Vegas) to ensure similarly proposed legislation doesn't turn out unfavorable to timeshare owners.

- In 2007, ARDA proposed language that was included in Tennessee HB1016 (ultimately signed into law) that would ensure an expanded transient tax would not apply to timeshare exchanges.

- The Rhode Island legislature passed a law in 2007 (for the third year in a row) that would have had an adverse impact on timeshare property taxes. For the third year in a row, ARDA helped to convince the governor to veto the measure. ARDA is still working to head off such legislation.

- In my state (South Carolina), a bill was introduced in 2007 that would assess a $5 nightly tax on all timeshare units occupied by other than the owner (including other family members!). ARDA's efforts helped to kill the bill.

- A much older, but more dramatic example dates back to 1997. The IRS had been attempting to tax capital reserves of timeshare HOAs to the extent they were used for what the IRS deemed to be maintenance and repairs, even if the expenditures were in the HOA's capital budget. ARDA put out a call to owners and HOAs and there was a gigantic letter-writing effort to key members of Congress. The end result was an inclusion in the Homeowners Association Act of 1997 to clarify and correct the position the IRS had been trying to take.

I can add many, many more, but that's a start. I hope that's good enough for you.

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you Dave!

NJN2Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

I just wanted to know why the ARDA contribution was included on our M/F's. I hate to be a sheep. If I choose to pay the fee, I want to be informed.

MLN

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There is a one page explanation that Marriott included in the envelope with your bill that explains why Marriott thinks the ARDA contributioin is woirthwhile. Here is a copy of most of that insert, which is also on the MVCI website:
Year after year, Vacation Ownership owners are the target for federal, state and local lawmakers searching for various ways to raise revenue. So, who is working to protect our interests as Vacation Ownership owners? The American Resort Development Association’s Resort Owners Coalition Political Action Committee (ARDA-ROC PAC). We hope you will support the Coalition that represents our economic interests in state capitals and Washington, D.C.

ARDA is a thirty-nine year old Washington, D.C.-based industry trade association representing the resort industry through lobbying, consumer advocacy and a unique organization called ARDA-ROC PAC. “Politics has got so expensive that it takes lots of money to even get beat with!” Will Rogers said that in 1931 and it still rings true today. Campaigns are indeed expensive.

ARDA-ROC PAC was created nine years ago, and is proving to be extremely successful. Funds contributed to ARDA-ROC PAC possess maximum flexibility. They can be used to engage attorneys and government affairs professionals, pay for research to defend owner legislative positions, and contribute to elected officials at the state, local and federal levels who are supportive of owner legislative positions. Expenditures of ARDA-ROC PAC funds are being directed by the ARDA-ROC Executive Group; the same entity that has spearheaded more than a dozen successful legislative efforts across the country over the past eighteen years.

The concept of ARDA-ROC PAC is simple – owners across the country join together to gain collectively what they are unable to achieve on their own. With unity comes strength! Thanks in large part to your generous support, ARDA-ROC PAC is counted among the nation’s top 20 most effective trade association PACs. These same individuals, now members of the 110th Congress, were appointed to key Committees such as Ways & Means, Senate Finance, Judiciary and Homeland Security.

This Presidential election year is an exciting time for all citizens. It also promises to bring much anticipated change in a number of high-profile legislative battles and initiatives.

Looking ahead, ARDA and ARDA-ROC PAC supports those candidates who continue the fight on our behalf. In addition, ARDA and ARDA-ROC PAC is supportive of consumer protection for timeshare buyers and has been active in establishing and supporting the system of state timeshare registration laws which has been very effective for more than 25 years in regulating developers and forcing unscrupulous developers and sellers out of the industry. Lastly, we strongly believe that any immigration reform should be comprehensive by addressing both future economic needs for future workers and undocumented workers already in the United States.

As you can see, ARDA-ROC PAC and our industry as a whole find us in the midst of a number of vitally important public policy challenges and opportunities. High-profile debates over tax policy, predatory lending and relaxed immigration laws will consume lawmakers in the coming months – and we must stand ready if we want our voice to be heard!

For the last six years, Marriott Vacation Club International has been a leader in the industry in ARDA-ROC fundraising. As such, we were recognized as being among the highest contributors during the ARDA 2007 Fall Conference in Washington, DC.

With this in mind, we are encouraging Marriott Vacation Club International owners to voluntarily contribute $10.00 to ARDA-ROC PAC in conjunction with your annual assessment. In turn, ARDA-ROC PAC will utilize these funds to continue to protect your investment as Owners.

Read that and this thread and judge for yourself.

toxicesq

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that ARDA does perform a valuable service to timeshare owners as well as developers. I pay the ARDA contribution when I pay the annual fee to my unaffiliated (with any large timeshare chain) resort. I do not include it with my Marriott annual fees because I think that Marriott has as great an interest as I do in protecting timeshares and it can support ARDA with its own money.