• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

AOL Password stolen - how does this happen?

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My daughter's AOL password was discovered by someone who then signed on as her and instant messaged some of her friends pretending to be her and saying some things I won't repeat here.

The password was not changed, just discovered by someone.

My daughter insists that she has not used anyone else's computer to sign onto AOL where someone else's password saver may have picked up on it.

So I'm wondering what the ways are that someone can get this information (short of my daughter giving it to them) and if there is a way to track that down.

Since whomever used the password decided to pretend to be my daughter, I am assuming we are talking about some stupid kid here rather than some professional hacker.

I don't know if it's coincidental, but this happened one day after she started using a MacBook and video chatting.

Does anyone have any insight here as to how someone can get someone else's password and if there is a way to track the IP address of the computer used to sign onto her account?

Thanks for any help.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The IP address can be figured out by AOL. I know they will do this with a court order etc, but I don't know if they will do it for this reason - depends on how bad the messages are and if you are pursuing any kind of potential action, I guess. Did the people who got them save a log?

Was her password easy to guess - pet's name, boyfriend's name, nickname, birthday, etc?

I used to do computer support at several colleges, and I can't count how many times students - usually girls - came into my office almost in tears because someone had sent offensive or obnoxious emails from/to their accounts; it almost always turned out to be the boyfriend/roommate/frat brother of boyfriend etc, who thought it was a big laugh - until they got in big trouble.

Unfortunately the kids (probably) who are doing it don't seem to realize how serious it is.

I'd contact AOL - look for the "contact us" link - and see what can be figured out.

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I've unsuccessfully tried to find a "contact us" link on AOL. I can't figure out any way to get in touch with them! You're probably correct, however, that they won't do anything anyway.

I don't think the kids kept a log of the conversations. However, I have AOL parental controls and I can see that her account instant messaged these kids dozens of times today. Her password was not easy to guess; however, I'm wondering if they could have answered the security question (which is usually something like favorite book, etc.). The thing is, I'm pretty sure that if you do answer the security question correctly, it allows you to change your password rather than giving you the current one...and this was not done.

My daughter was extremely upset by this, especially since the person instant messaged all kinds of people on her buddy list (including adults) and used explicit words and references. However, since no one logged anything and there were no death threats, I'd venture to guess that AOL probably would not take an interest. Personally, I would label it a form of internet bullying since the person claiming to be my daughter also claimed she had done things that were extremely inappropriate and, in some cases, illegal. (It's worse than telling someone that someone else did something when you claim to actually be that person and say you did it.) This definitely was not done for a laugh...it was done to hurt her. My daughter is 14 and has some learning disabilities which makes the whole thing even more upsetting for her/us.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Google AOL contact, AOL abuse, AOL account security, AOL customer service, and so forth. You'll likely find something. You might be able to figure out some clues by which of her friends wasn't contacted - that eliminates the potential suspects.

Also google internet bullying.

You also might want to have her IM her entire address book with some kind of apology that her account was broken in to and she is sorry people got those messages but they were not from her...

Keep us posted.

Last edited:

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
This seems to have been done by either someone who pretended to be a friend or a former friend. Someone couldnt remember "their" password and knew the answers to your daughters security questions. A hint about security questions - NEVER use a true answer. Make up an answer that fits.
That way noone can quess what your answer is. If they want your favorite pets name - use someones pets name. If they want your mother's maiden name - use your mother's middle name. If they want the town where you were born - pick a town that you have visited. Just remember your own answers !! Noone else should be able to guess the wrong answers.