• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone tried a kitchen range with double oven?

tlwmkw

Reaction score
We are in the market for a new stainless steel freestanding range and went looking at Sears. DW saw a Kenmore Elite which has two ovens- a small one on top and a bigger one on the bottom (You lose the warming drawer at the bottom to have this feature). DW thought this would be nice to have two ovens. Anyone have any experience with these?

On another note- anyone have any feelings about Kenmore or Kenmore Elite for appliances? We are looking for a new dishwasher as well as the range. Thanks for any help or suggestions that anyone has.

rudymcbill

TUG Member
Reaction score
replace range with double ovens

We replaced our range with double ovens this spring. I wasn't sold on the idea, but my husband thought it was great.
We have ended up really liking it. We normally use the smallest oven, so the house isn't heating up as much, and it heats up more quickly. It's really big enough to do quite a bit.
We've used the larger oven a few times, and anticipate using it more when our daughter's are home from college, and for the holidays.
We've used both at the same time more than I would have thought---when baking and making a meal at the same time.

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frigidaire Pro Double Oven

We have the Frigidaire Pro Double Oven with Glasstop Range. The smaller oven on the bottom doubles as a warming drawer, but is great for casseroles and smaller dishes as it will cook up to 400 degrees. It is restricted in height so it's good for baking and casseroles, no turkeys in there though. We love it. I guess that's the point. And it's great at keeping the bacon and sausages warm while I finish up the Eggs and Toast for big breakfasts!

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My dad had an appliance store growing up so my mom always had the latest & greatest. She had a double oven which were side by side on top and the burners were below and slid in and out with a cutting board across the front. I think it was a Tappen.

The double ovens were absolutely great. When we cooked big dinners, we never had to worry that things needed to bake at different temps.

I don't think you'll regret it.

I have whirlpool gold stove, dishwasher & microwave and Kenmore Elite Fridge. If I am not mistaken they are made by the same company. Shaggy would probably know for sure.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We seriously considered that model when it first came out. One reason we didn't get it is because it takes a lot of bending to access the bottom oven - imagine picking up your turkey that close to the floor!

I think one with the smaller oven on the bottom may be more practical.

We almost always buy Kenmore appliances, and have been very happy with them. They waaaaay outlast the averages - our DW is easily 20 years old!

Depending on the appliance, they are made by the other major manufacturers, for example Whirlpool I believe.

Last edited:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My MIL had the Tappan for many years. It was such a practical design, but for some reason it wasn't that popular.

We've had double ovens in our last two houses (ten years). Ours are GE Profile, built in ones. The top oven is larger, but the bottom one is about 3/4 the size of the top one. We keep a Pizza stone in the bottom one. Besides using it for pizza we use it whenever we have a lot of people to dinner. We also have a raised grid range top, where you can put a large pot or grill on more than one burner if need be.

Our top oven is optional convection as well conventional. If you hit convection and then the temperature you'd normally use, it makes the conversion for you. We used convection last year for the turkey, and it was done in under two hours!

Fern

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to buy Sears appliances years ago. Never had many problems with the appliances but had lots of problems with their repair service. Quit buying Sears appliznces for that reason.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
I have two ovens and I seldom use the lower, larger oven. The small oven heats up quickly and easy to use. It's true that it's a little tough to get a turkey up from the lower oven, but we do it. Most of the time there are only two of us, so it works well. I wouldn't want to go back to one oven.

BSQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
to this day I still miss my over/under combo. I used both ovens equally. But really miss having both during the holidays and any time I am baking (which is often).

bobby

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the Tappan, having replaced my old Tappan about 4 years ago with the same model. I also used the smaller upper oven almost all the time except for Thanksgiving, Christmas and baking cookies where a wider cookie sheet fits. There is a pan drawer at the bottom. I love it. But you could do a regular range and a wall hung microwave/convection oven somewhere else or above it.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had an over/under at our old apartment. I loved it. When it finally keeled over, we had to replace it with an oven below, microwave above unit, which I never really liked as well.