• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone have Consumer Cellular service?

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Jackio, thanks. My brother has the T-Mobile plan you described, and he likes it quite a bit. He lives in southern California, and has much better coverage for T-mobile there than what is available in my area. T-Mobile coverage in my town is sketchy, at best. I have a friend here who has T-Molbile, (her husband is stupidly loyal), but she can't get cell reception at her home. My cell is my only phone at my home, so cell coverage is important.

Dave

This is the big reason we switched. I did not get good service with AT&T in my new home, and my neighbors reported poor service with most of the area carriers. T-Mobile has free internet calling. As long as I an on my wireless network at home, the calls will go through the internet if they cannot go through on the cell network. I always get calls and never get bad reception at home, but I never know which ones go through the internet.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
We (still) subscribe to AT&T- don't ask why- I dunno.

I'm still with ATT and actually know why. Because almost everyone I talk to on the phone uses ATT most of my calls are ATT-ATT and thus don't count against my minutes. Thus I have a minimum usage plan that costs me very little...

George

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
We switched to the T-Mobile military plan and it made it for 24 hrs before I cancelled. Was mout runnng around and lost a call numerous times before just giving up. Got home and picked up the equipment and immediately took it back. In all fairness I may have lost the call using my phone on ATT but I will not know until I’m in that exact spot and try it another day. I have medical problems that demand reliable cell service.

We got rid of our landline many years ago and had that number ported to our cells. Have never looked back. Our security system has a cell setup.

Tried cutting the cord completely for tv use and after 9 months finally gave up and went back to DISH network this last Tues. 200+ channels and free NFL Redzone until 1/2019. 2 receivers. One can record up to 16 shows at a time and the other is fully portable within the house so we can watch it from any tv. $96 mo for 24 mo.

With 5G coming it will be interesting to see how all of this will change.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm still with ATT and actually know why. Because almost everyone I talk to on the phone uses ATT most of my calls are ATT-ATT and thus don't count against my minutes. Thus I have a minimum usage plan that costs me very little...

George

George, I used to do the same thing with Verizon - just about everybody I talked to was on Verizon, so it didn't count against my monthly minutes. But then the plan options changed to unlimited talking and texts, so it didn't matter any more. About all that mattered was data usage. You may want to check your own plan to see if that's an option for you - you may be paying for something you aren't really using very much. And lately, about all I get for voice calls are spammers and telemarketers anyway. Very few voice calls from people I'd like to talk to. Things start with a text or email, and may go to a voice call, but not all the time. Just something to look into.

Dave

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm living in the past. I have an old clam shell phone with texting and voice mail blocked. I use about 400 minutes a month making and receiving calls and another 50 - 100 minutes hanging up on spammers. All this for about $35 per month...

George

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm living in the past. I have an old clam shell phone with texting and voice mail blocked. I use about 400 minutes a month making and receiving calls and another 50 - 100 minutes hanging up on spammers. All this for about $35 per month...

George

If the works for you, go for it. I didn't know what level you were at with your phone. I miss the days of clamshell phones - back when a cell phone was used for actual phone calls. Imagine that... :)

Dave

Craig

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love Consumer Cellular...I have the lowest plan ($23) which includes 250 phone minutes, unlimited texts, and a small amount of data which I hardly use. It's perfect for me.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I decided to pull the trigger, and ordered the Consumer Cellular service. I'll give them a fair chance, and see how things go. I must say, I'm impressed so far just with their level of customer service on the phone. Very forthcoming and helpful.

Following Terry's advice above, I asked that the phones I got to be shipped with AT&T SIM cards. They understood completely, and said it would be no problem. I know they have better coverage in my town than T-Mobile does. Should have the equipment in a few days. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks, everyone, for the assistance!

Dave

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I decided to pull the trigger, and ordered the Consumer Cellular service.

Let us know what you think. I'd like to know how it goes.
As a L-T customer, it works for us, but as always, YMMV.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My household has been loyal Verizon customers for more than 18 years. I've known we've always paid more than maybe other services charge, but it was easy to just keep the status quo. But Verizon has decided to lay off 44,000 workers, including many long-term employees, and they're sending 2500 IT jobs overseas as well. (So much for the tax breaks they received creating jobs in America!) https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanba...bs-to-indian-outsourcer-infosys/#1b0dc69146f5

I've decided it's time to vote with my feet. With my upcoming retirement, I'm looking at cutting expenses. This announcement shows me Verizon has no customer loyalty, and certainly none to their own employees.

I've been researching Consumer Cellular. I'm finding I can get a plan very close to what I currently have with Verizon, for less than half the price. That savings is not inconsequential. I've asked my friends and family, and have received very positive recommendations for Consumer Cellular. I'm curious whether you have experience with them, and what your opinion might be. Do you like them? How is the service and coverage for you? Would you recommend them?

Dave
Dave,

I haven't read all of the replies, but just wanted to give you my sister's experience. She switched from either AT&T or Verizon to Cellular. She did it because it was cheaper. Her dh could get a simple flip phone which was all he wanted. She HATES it! She said she lost a lot of functionality. Her first month was free, she was planning on switching to something else when that free month was up.

The things she lost were things like being able to post pictures, or open pictures and links on her phone. If you just need it for basic phone service you'd probably be fine with Consumer Cellular. As to their customer service, she wasn't impressed with that either. All of the problems she's been having they have blamed on her phone. You know, the phone that worked just fine on another network.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave,

I haven't read all of the replies, but just wanted to give you my sister's experience. She switched from either AT&T or Verizon to Cellular. She did it because it was cheaper. Her dh could get a simple flip phone which was all he wanted. She HATES it! She said she lost a lot of functionality. Her first month was free, she was planning on switching to something else when that free month was up.

The things she lost were things like being able to post pictures, or open pictures and links on her phone. If you just need it for basic phone service you'd probably be fine with Consumer Cellular. As to their customer service, she wasn't impressed with that either. All of the problems she's been having they have blamed on her phone. You know, the phone that worked just fine on another network.

Thanks, Luanne. I'll be watching for that sort of thing. That's disappointing that your sister is having trouble. If the network has proper connectivity, the data plan has available bandwidth, and the phone is running the current O/S, I don't see why it wouldn't work as expected. I wonder if it's her network? Some of the issues my good friend complains about with T-Mobile (as their primary carrier, not as a Consumer Cellular customer) are things like you've described. So I wonder if it's the quality of the signal in your sister's area? I'm buying new phones specifically so I'll have SIM-card capability, and any pre-existing conditions with an old phone should be eliminated. So we'll see how it goes. I'm pretty tech-savvy, and I'll be watching things closely. After all these years with Verizon, I know what our normal is - so we'll see how Consumer Cellular compares. I'm hoping for a good experience. :)

Dave

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Thanks, Luanne. I'll be watching for that sort of thing. That's disappointing that your sister is having trouble. If the network has proper connectivity, the data plan has available bandwidth, and the phone is running the current O/S, I don't see why it wouldn't work as expected. I wonder if it's her network? Some of the issues my good friend complains about with T-Mobile (as their primary carrier, not as a Consumer Cellular customer) are things like you've described. So I wonder if it's the quality of the signal in your sister's area? I'm buying new phones specifically so I'll have SIM-card capability, and any pre-existing conditions with an old phone should be eliminated. So we'll see how it goes. I'm pretty tech-savvy, and I'll be watching things closely. After all these years with Verizon, I know what our normal is - so we'll see how Consumer Cellular compares. I'm hoping for a good experience. :)

Dave
Did you ask for ATT SIM card because they don’t offer Verizon?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Did you ask for ATT SIM card because they don’t offer Verizon?

They use AT&T or T-Mobile networks. Verizon is not compatible, so it's not an option. Of the two networks they have, AT&T works pretty well where I live (local website shows AT&T has better connectivity than other carriers here, including Verizon.) So we'll see. The best thing is there is no contract, so if it doesn't work well, I can change to another company. Push comes to shove, I can always go back to Verizon. But I'm thinking a new phone with a good SIM card should give me the best chance for it working right. :)

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Dave
Dave, if it's the network wouldn't that be a Consumer Cellular issue? She just just annoyed/disappointed/upset that she didn't have the functionality she had before and CC kept trying to blame it on the phone.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, if it's the network wouldn't that be a Consumer Cellular issue? She just just annoyed/disappointed/upset that she didn't have the functionality she had before and CC kept trying to blame it on the phone.

You're probably right. My understanding is CC leases cell tower space from the two big companies, so it seems it would be about connectivity. A test for your sister's situation would be to change phones, and see if things get better. If it's the phone, problem solved, If not, well, you know what that means. ;)

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You're probably right. My understanding is CC leases cell tower space from the two big companies, so it seems it would be about connectivity. A test for your sister's situation would be to change phones, and see if things get better. If it's the phone, problem solved, If not, well, you know what that means. ;)

Dave
I think she said she didn't get a new phone when she changed to CC. I think that was why she was so upset. A phone that had been working perfectly fine on anotner network didn't perform on CC.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think she said she didn't get a new phone when she changed to CC. I think that was why she was so upset. A phone that had been working perfectly fine on anotner network didn't perform on CC.

Yeah, that was what I meant about CC using two different networks. If connectivity is poor for her on one, maybe it'd better on the other? Or change phones on the network she's on, and seeing what's up. If the old phone has proprietary software or whatever for the previous provider, it might be what could be messing it up. Trying a reformat of the phone (especially if it's an iPhone) may do wonders. I've done that with my Apple laptop - it's gets wonky, and a reload fixes it.

Dave

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Depending on the specific phone she has, it may or may not have all frequencies the current provider offers in her area. In such situations, blaming the phone has merit. Modern phones have many more frequencies so this has become less of an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Not all phones will work well on all networks! Even if they are unlocked. I had an old ATT unlocked iPhone I sold on eBay to a person who tried to use it on the T-Mobile network with a new SIM card. Had many problems with calls being cut off or just not connecting.

Verizon runs on CDMA and ATT/T-Mobile run on GSM. The two are incompatible. I would imagine you cannot take a phone you’ve had while using Verizon and transfer that phone to CC.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have Verizon cell and recently switched from the OLD monthly cell plan to a basic monthly plan on Verizon. What a change! And in a bad way.

I know when the kids get home from school ... 2:45PM. That is when my cell phone starts dropping my calls ... I am sitting on the sofa and ZAP! DEAD AIR. Been living here for almost 2 years .. never lost a call. Now, I can set my clock by it. Kids home .. cell service is crap.

BUT my Tracphone works just fine. I use that line for internet ads or signs posted locally for 'stuff'.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I have stayed with ATT since the late 90s (when it was SW Bell) is that it has worked for me all that time. My 300 "Anytime" minutes for $35 per month are all I need particularly when I factor in another 300-400 minutes of free ATT-ATT minutes. Not messing with what works seems to have worked for me...

George

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Not all phones will work well on all networks! Even if they are unlocked. I had an old ATT unlocked iPhone I sold on eBay to a person who tried to use it on the T-Mobile network with a new SIM card. Had many problems with calls being cut off or just not connecting.

Verizon runs on CDMA and ATT/T-Mobile run on GSM. The two are incompatible. I would imagine you cannot take a phone you’ve had while using Verizon and transfer that phone to CC.
I thought the CC commercials claim you can keep your phone, and your number.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I thought the CC commercials claim you can keep your phone, and your number.

Technically, you can. But in your sister's case, it may not be the best option. And in my case, a Verizon phone has the wrong kind of circuitry, so isn't compatible. I had to switch to a new phone. Coincidentally, they happen to offer the same phone model I already have (but in a CC-compatible version.) So I'll be able to compare how well the new one works, compared to the old one. Will be interesting.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Technically, you can. But in your sister's case, it may not be the best option. And in my case, a Verizon phone has the wrong kind of circuitry, so isn't compatible. I had to switch to a new phone. Coincidentally, they happen to offer the same phone model I already have (but in a CC-compatible version.) So I'll be able to compare how well the new one works, compared to the old one. Will be interesting.

Dave
I probably should check and see what she decided to do. All of this was a few month's ago and I have no idea what she ended up doing.