• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone freeze tomatoes?

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is freezing tomatoes worth it? I usually can tomato soup, and whole tomatoes which I love but am not going to have time to do it for a while because we are going to be gone for a few days Freezing is my only option unless I let my tomatoes rot in the garden. Eeeek.

Any tips or suggestions?

Sue

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
I have done this in the past and then use them for cooking.

Janie

Reaction score
Freezing ripe tomatos works just fine!

We freeze a bushel or so every summer to use throughout the winter. All we do is wash them, put them in freezer bags, and throw them in the freezer. They are great for soups, stews, sauces, etc. We just throw them in the microwave to thaw: after thawing, they give off a lot of excess water can be discarded and you can very easily peel off the skins.

They wouldn't be usable for anything where you needed to hold their shapes, as they pretty much distintegrate into tomato mush when they are thawed.

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just froze a batch that we boiled-down. Sorta halfway to sauce. We will boil-down another batch, add the first, and complete making sauce.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
As kids, we lived on stewed tomatoes from frozen, skinned & blanched tomatoes from the family garden.

None of us 5 kids ever died - although that was our argument/plea every 2nd day when that dish was put on the dinner table.

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have been freezing tomatoes for a few years now, ever since I had a huge abundance of them. In the winter, I throw them all in a huge pot and make sauce, cook meatballs, and then freeze into individual dinners. I add tomato paste to thicken the sauce because the tomatoes are very watery. After they have stewed for several hours, I throw the whole pot in batches into the blender. It works great.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Linda,

Thanks for a great laugh! Brought back childhood memories.

Richard

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
We prefer to can ours, but when we have less than a full batch, we also freeze them. They are just fine for cooking. Maybe even fresher tasting than the canned ones. We just don't have enough freezer space.

Of course, this year we had very few tomatoes and what we have are tiny. Never leave a 20yo in charge of watering during a drought.

Sheila

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I freeze mine using a technique recommended by the guy at the farmer's market stand where I buy tomatoes. He often sells some of his odd ones very cheap for canning or freezing. His method is to dip them for a few seconds in boiling water to make it easy to remove the skin, then to cut them into small pieces. I measure out 1 cup amounts and freeze in small freezer bags. Then I can just dump the amount into my chili or other recipe.