• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any updates on Ocean Oak

audirt

Reaction score
I know several people have noted the total lack of availability at Ocean Oak (Hilton Head) through the end of 2020. Did anyone ever get an answer from HGV why this is the case?

(I've tried to read through the threads... I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere.)

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
None that anyone has figured out. There is availability again starting in 2021.

audirt

Reaction score
I just got off chat with HGV and they are claiming what some have suspected: that the developer has monopolized all the availability for the rest of the year, loading it into hilton.com for cash reservations. The only chance you'll nab a reservation at Ocean Oak is if you pay cash or the stars align and you can grab an existing reservation made by another member. Ocean Oak might as well not be on HGV's page for the rest of 2020. I'm not happy and I let HGV know it.

Here's HGV's response (through Facebook chat):
audirt, we were able to look into this further. Please know there are several reasons why you may see HGV availability somewhere else (such as hilton.com). HGV Club Members only have access to inventory that has been sold. Any inventory owned by a developer or an affiliated resort that has not been sold may be made available for rental. This revenue contributes to annual maintenance fees for weeks that have not been sold. With this being said, a Member who has confirmed the same dates you are looking to book may cancel their reservation, freeing up space for another Club Member. I urge you to keep checking for your desired dates and let us know if you have additional questions.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Thanks for that audirt. So basically HGVC management have confirmed exactly what we suspected. Strand Group appears to therefore have pulled almost all of the inventory of at least Phase 2 for the second half of 2020 and rented it to Hilton Hotels, leaving virtually none available for Club members. :censored:

Maybe they have discovered that non-owners are easier targets for their sales weasels than existing owners, despite the HUGE (kidding) benefits of upgrading to Elite membership?!? :sneaky:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't speak directly to HGVC but for DVC inventory at new resorts is phased. They can only make villas which have been sold accessible to timeshare owners - every other room has to be rented for cash (or used for promotions, etc.). So it's a great time to stay at Riviera using cash...not so much via points since new owners want to stay at their newly purchased resort. Similarly, I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that new HGVC Ocean Oak owners will be making and using home week reservations.

Last edited:

audirt

Reaction score
I can't speak directly to HGVC but for DVC inventory at new resorts is phased. They can only make villas which have been sold accessible to timeshare owners - every other room has to be rented for cash (or used for promotions, etc.). So it's a great time to stay at Riviera using cash...not so much via points since new owners want to stay at their newly purchased resort. Similarly, I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that new HGVC Ocean Oak owners will be making and using home week reservations.

Others can speak to the inner workings of HGV better than I can, but it looks like no member -- even new owners -- can make a reservation in 2020. The developer has basically unilaterally declared that all of the nights owned by club members had to be used during the Covid months :-/

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Others can speak to the inner workings of HGV better than I can, but it looks like no member -- even new owners -- can make a reservation in 2020. The developer has basically unilaterally declared that all of the nights owned by club members had to be used during the Covid months :-/

Thats not necessarily true, Ocean Oak owners would have been able to book during their Home Resort week preference a year ago, long before Covid.

It appears the developer kept all the Club Season vacancies from the rest of the HGVC club members.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

audirt

Reaction score
It appears the developer kept all the Club Season vacancies from the rest of the HGVC club members.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Calling up and voicing my displeasure with HGV is on my to-do list. Maybe I'm naive, but it seems that a certain number of nights per year are owned by Club members. The developer has basically issued a decree that those club-owned nights (minus existing reservations) occurred during the Covid lock down.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I talked with the front desk last week about inventory at Ocean Oak. I was informed that Ocean Oak is 60% sold out so only 60% inventory is in the club. Also, Ocean Oak has the highest owners booking in the HGVC system. In addition, HGVC has rented an additional 15% inventory from the developer for club use. Staff was also surprised that Ocean Oak had 100% occupancy on the second day after opening up.

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Thanks for that update, Gary. What that indicates to me is high demand for HHI. Hopefully, HGVC may take that to heart and look for another location on HHI to do a second (or even third) property as they have done in other popular locations, such as Myrtle Beach and Orlando. They obviously seem to be able to sell them. We certainly enjoyed our stay at Ocean Oak last year.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Thanks for that update, Gary. What that indicates to me is high demand for HHI. Hopefully, HGVC may take that to heart and look for another location on HHI to do a second (or even third) property as they have done in other popular locations, such as Myrtle Beach and Orlando. They obviously seem to be able to sell them. We certainly enjoyed our stay at Ocean Oak last year.

One can only hope. I wonder how much ocean front room is available to build there. Doesn’t HHI have some rules against building resorts over 6 floors in or something like that?

Hopefully, they can purchase an older resort and either refurbish or demolish and build new. Not holding my breath, though.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI - I am going to be releasing an Ocean Oak 3 day reservation in the next couple of days. For this Friday/Sat/Sun, 26-29 I can coordinate with someone if interested.