• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any ideas when plasma TV prices will drop?

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been tracking pricing for a plasma tv (Panasonic 58") but the price hasn't moved since Nov. I thought it would drop during the holidays and even more in early January but nothing. Current internet pricing is about 65% of suggested MSRP. Btw, I'm 100% sure I'm going to get a plasma by Panasonic.

Anyone have any secrets to share? Thanks.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If you know the specific model you want, try www.techbargains.com. They have a link to "Find Lowest Price" on the upper right side of the page. Enter the model info and let their search engine find you the best deal on the TV you're after. You may find a better price than you expected. Since you're buying factory new, chances are good you'll find a decent deal on things.

Happy shopping!

Dave

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That site pulled up many of the same sites as pricegrabber and cnet.

Btw, I miss my 330i.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
With Circuit City soon to be out of the picture, another big competitor is gone. I am sure this won't help prices as Best Buy will have a juggernaut on the brick and mortar retail market.

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I just read somewhere that the price of TV's will come down the week after the super bowl. It figures!

maggie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We looked at a couple of 42 inch 1080p plasma TVs at Best Buy last weekend. The guy there said that last year's model was fixing to be reduced a lot in the next week or two. So we'll see what happens.

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 50" Panasonic plasma in April 2008 and have seen the price for the same set drop $450 in the past 9 months. Still love the TV.

Dave

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to be careful, as sometimes when one model drops it's price significantly, it's because there's a replacement model out with better features. My parents got a 40" Sony last year (a 'W' series, definitely not low end), which was 1080p compatible, figuring that would be it for a while (unless they wanted a larger set). Wouldn't you know when it's price dropped, it was because newer models with 120Hz refresh rate were replacing it.

They are perfectly happy with it, but given a choice between a 120Hz newer model, and a 60Hz older (but less expensive model), I'm not sure which they would have taken.

Jeff

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You have to be careful, as sometimes when one model drops it's price significantly, it's because there's a replacement model out with better features. My parents got a 40" Sony last year (a 'W' series, definitely not low end), which was 1080p compatible, figuring that would be it for a while (unless they wanted a larger set). Wouldn't you know when it's price dropped, it was because newer models with 120Hz refresh rate were replacing it.

They are perfectly happy with it, but given a choice between a 120Hz newer model, and a 60Hz older (but less expensive model), I'm not sure which they would have taken.

Jeff

That's one of the reasons I prefer buying large electronics from Costco. Their 90-day No Questions Asked return policy is very nice for cases just like this. At other stores, you're lucky if you get two weeks, and often they'll charge an outrageous restocking fee.

Dave

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well everyone, I order the 58" yesterday. It should be here by early next week. Woohoo!

I bought a 42" Panasonic plasma for our MBR around Thanksgiving for a little over $600 (720P) at Costco. I love the set. I'm sure you'll love yours too.