• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any Class Action Lawsuit know ?

Jerry Sim

Reaction score
Hello,

Is any Class Action Lawsuit going on or is planned against HGVC in Florida, California, Hawaii or Nevada against HGVC?

Jerry

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Sorry, dude...
No class actions are going on, planned or rumored against HGVC.
[except with respect to the $100 hotel rebate for a presentation].
HGVC itself is actually one of the more owner-friendly TS systems.

True, it's sales-weasels, like TS sales everywhere, make things up.
But... the contract you sign controls what you own.
After the rescission period, you need to learn to use what you own.

HGVC has no duty to help you dispose of your TS. That's on you.
Read the sticky-posts at the top of the Buying, Selling... forum for
help with that.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I am asking because HGVC makes me recently an offer regarding my Timeshare, that is not great but at least I would be free from future obligation. But in exchange, I waive the right to ask for any damage in the future.

I would caution you to be careful and ensure that it is truly HGVC making the offer. Also, ensure that you don't pay any upfront money because then you will know that it is a scam.

@TUGBrian did recently start a thread - here about ARDA page "responsibleexit.com". HGVC along with several others is listed as participating in offering owner exit program available. I would be very interested what kind of program HGVC is offering. Please update us if you move forward with their offer.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
Make sure you are dealing with the real HGVC. While ....possible.... they make an offer out of the blue for your timeshare, it is not a normal practice.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Hello,

Is any Class Action Lawsuit going on or is planned against HGVC in Florida, California, Hawaii or Nevada against HGVC?

Jerry

What is your issue or concern exactly?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
In most class action law suits involving timeshares only the attorneys make money.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Yup, if it hasn't been resolved yet. I don't know why you couldn't just google it unless you were looking for others involved in the suit.

https://www.truthinadvertising.org/...7/11/Elder-v-Hilton-1st-amended-complaint.pdf

Bill

This suit is not about a purchase gone bad, but is over the wording on the $100 rebate you often get for attending a presentation. While i can agree they are overly complicated by having different certificates for each brand, I don't think i would sue over the rebate not working out.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Interesting to me is that enough people were upset enough to join the suit and that an attorney decided it was worth it to take it on.

Bill

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Interesting to me is that enough people were upset enough to join the suit and that an attorney decided it was worth it to take it on.

Bill

Eh, a person who feels deceived can be pretty motivated for redemption. The attorney, on the hand, must be hoping for some pretty heavy punitive damages. This further reinforces my stance on going to sales pitches.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm curious but I started dozing off several sentences into the document. Would anyone be kind enough to tell me what they're suing over.

I think I got it...

When booking a stay at a Hilton in Orlando he was offered a certificate for $100 off his next Hilton stay if he attended a timeshare presentation. He attended the presentation and received the certificate.

He later stayed at a Double Tree Hotel. When he mailed in his certificate to receive his $89 rebate for his stay at the Double Tree hotel his request was denied. Hilton said the certificate is only good at Hilton Hotels or Hilton Grand Vacation Clubs.

Feel free to correct any of the above as I sort of scanned the document.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Okay, I'm curious but I started dozing off several sentences into the document. Would anyone be kind enough to tell me what they're suing over.

I think I got it...

When booking a stay at a Hilton in Orlando he was offered a certificate for $100 off his next Hilton stay if he attended a timeshare presentation. He attended the presentation and received the certificate.

He later stayed at a Double Tree Hotel. When he mailed in his certificate to receive his $89 rebate for his stay at the Double Tree hotel his request was denied. Hilton said the certificate is only good at Hilton Hotels or Hilton Grand Vacation Clubs.

Feel free to correct any of the above as I sort of scanned the document.

That’s correct. In later certificates it was spelled out exactly where they could stay (Hilton Hotels or HGVC).

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a gift for attending a timeshare promotion by HGVC, prospects were given a coupon for $100 rebate on a stay at a Hilton Hotel. You had to pay the bill, then send in a copy along with the coupon - and you were supposed to get a check for up to $100. The coupons were denied when people stayed at a Doubletree, (by Hilton), Homewood Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, and Home 2 Suites (by Hilton). Because they were not a "Hilton Hotel." Sales people said that customers could stay at "any Hilton" to get the reward. I would sue also. True bunch of crap......

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
When we attended a sales presentation at W57 a few years ago, part of the reward was a $100 certificate for our next stay at a Hilton. I happened to notice the conditions stated it had to be used within 6 months at a Hilton hotel in the USA. I stated that if it could not be used at a Hilton in Canada, then it would be of zero use to us, since we would not be back in the USA within the 6-month limit.

I will give HGVC credit. They instead issued us with an extra $100 reward certificate for use in certain restaurants in New York City. We covered a good portion of the cost of our meal the following night at a very nice Italian restaurant. It does help to read the fine print, sometimes. :cool:

Shmiddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland, Big Island
In Hawaii we get $100 in 'Hilton Bucks' that we use towards a nice dinner at the hotel restaurant. Been doing it for years - sure they'll eventually stop inviting us to the presentations.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
When we attended a sales presentation at W57 a few years ago, part of the reward was a $100 certificate for our next stay at a Hilton. I happened to notice the conditions stated it had to be used within 6 months at a Hilton hotel in the USA. I stated that if it could not be used at a Hilton in Canada, then it would be of zero use to us, since we would not be back in the USA within the 6-month limit.

I will give HGVC credit. They instead issued us with an extra $100 reward certificate for use in certain restaurants in New York City. We covered a good portion of the cost of our meal the following night at a very nice Italian restaurant. It does help to read the fine print, sometimes. :cool:

Same deal, same place. We did use it though as I remember at a Hilton Garden Inn and they accepted it.

I just got back from the Elara in Vegas and got the full court press to do the "owners update". I told them no as I was planning doing a "update" at my home property in NYC in
April as I have some "issues" with what was told to me when I purchased there 3 years ago. I finally ended up saying to them they don't want to deal with me as I may looking for a way to "unwind myself from HGVC", at that point they backed off.