• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another tax question...

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
These matters are in the hands of an accountant, so I will eventually find out via that route, but just trying to anticipate what to expect...

Using hypothetical numbers throughout: My father died about ten years ago and my mother last year. My father had a trust with say $100,000 in it and my mother had a separate trust with $100,000. A separate tax form was filed for my father's trust in each of the intervening years. My mother and brother were cotrustees for my father's trust, but neither received any income from the trust. With the death of my mother, both trusts were dissolved.

The cost basis for anything in my mother's trust will be the value of the assets when she died. What will be the cost basis for the assets in my father's trust - the value of the assets when he died, or, the value when my mother died?

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you get an answer on this. My understanding is that the basis occurs at death however, unless it exceeds the exemption, there are no taxes due. We have a marital trust where everything passes to me when my husband dies (or at least that's what I was told!!:rolleyes: ) And I have a trust that passes to my children when I'm gone)-unless it happens the other way around!! While it's unlikely we'll sell any real estate - unless my husband finds out about another timeshare I'm thinking of buying -:ignore: we do buy cars from time to time (forgetting to put them in the trust). Any way, this is a fascinating subject which I know nothing about so, I'm looking forward to an answer!:ponder:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm sure that someone far more knowledgable than I will come along with a more informed reply, but gonn'a take a stab at it, not becuz I know the answer, but 'cuz I know just enuff to be dangerous.

First, your mother's death has nothing to do with it. You father's trust was separate property. Secondly, the final distribution is generally not a taxable event unless the trust liquidates assets to make the distribution.

From what I understand, when a trust distributes assets in-kind, you take the trust's basis in those assets. You do not get a step-up for unrealized gains, just 'cuz you are taking a piece of the principal. But you will only be subject to a capital-gains tax on those assets, if you liquidate them.

[Just a wild guess.]

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
And the answer is . . . as long as the (first) trust was includible in your father's estate (even if there was no estate tax to pay on account of available exemptions or the marital deduction) and not included again in your mother's estate (which is unlikely), trust assets that he owned at death took a new income tax basis equal to their value at his date of death.

Of course, over the years many of those assets may have been sold (and their capital gains or losses would have been determined against their date-of-death basis). But unsold assets continue to carry that date of death value.

It's all in Internal Revenue Code Section 1014
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/usc_sec_26_00001014----000-.html