• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Android Phone Options

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've been without a phone contract for awhile, and I'm thinking about getting a Droid Razr, mainly because it is thinner and weighs less to clip on. I now have an IPhone and find it unwieldy that way.

If you have an Android phone, could you tell me where (preferred website) you get your apps, and what your fave and/or can't do without apps are?

That will help me decide, so thanks for your help.

Fern

Fisch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point at Poipu
You get the apps from the android marketplace. it will be installed on the phone.
Here is a website/app that allows you to search apps form a PC and sync the app to your phone.

http://www.appbrain.com/info/getting-started

Some apps I like:

Tripit
Advanced task killer
Swype
Chase Banking(most banks have an app)
Google Voice
Juice Defender(excellent for saving battery life)
Voice Search
American Airlines
Easy Tether- Best app. Allows you to use your phone to give your laptop internet, w/o having to pay fees at hotels.

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Android Apps

TripAdvisor
Kayak
Pocket Auction
Amazon Kindle
You Version Bible
Twitter
Currency

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have an Android phone, could you tell me where (preferred website) you get your apps, and what your fave and/or can't do without apps are?
Fern

Fern, I had an iPhone and got an Android phone about six months ago because I have Tmobile. My iPhone was second generation and hacked to work on the TMobile network and I didn't get any support for that.

The Android phone works great if you have gmail and all your contacts for phone numbers are in gmail or google. Also, the calendar works great too. Anytime you change something in your computer, it syncs and updates your phone. But, that is about the only advantage of Android over the iPhone and the new iPhones can probably do everything that I described above if you set it up right.

The iPhone has more than twice the aps and better aps than the android. I think the Apple hardware is better than HTC, Motorola, Samsung, or any of the droid phones they are building. Recently, there was a new update with the android software and it caused my battery to die in half a day. My son has Verizon and has the same problem that started on the same day. The new iPhones are thinner and lighter, so probably not an issue about android phones being lighter.

Bottom line is that I would stick with the iPhone and when my Tmobile contract ends, I will go back to the iPhone.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fern, I had an iPhone and got an Android phone about six months ago because I have Tmobile. My iPhone was second generation and hacked to work on the TMobile network and I didn't get any support for that.

The Android phone works great if you have gmail and all your contacts for phone numbers are in gmail or google. Also, the calendar works great too. Anytime you change something in your computer, it syncs and updates your phone. But, that is about the only advantage of Android over the iPhone and the new iPhones can probably do everything that I described above if you set it up right.

The iPhone has more than twice the aps and better aps than the android. I think the Apple hardware is better than HTC, Motorola, Samsung, or any of the droid phones they are building. Recently, there was a new update with the android software and it caused my battery to die in half a day. My son has Verizon and has the same problem that started on the same day. The new iPhones are thinner and lighter, so probably not an issue about android phones being lighter.

Bottom line is that I would stick with the iPhone and when my Tmobile contract ends, I will go back to the iPhone.
iphone is not even a 4g phone, who cares how light it is.

Not sure what kind of phone and battery issues you were having, but my phone usually goes all day and even into the next, with me playing on it all day. Not to mention on Tmobile we can use droids as a mobile hotspot and use it as a 4g wireless router, for free. No wifi connection, no problem ... My ipad or laptop is connected to my phone in my pocket.

csudell

TUG Member
Reaction score
juice defender (said above)

shop savvy - scan barcodes and it will tell you prices of item at other stores

ring toggle -allows you to change ringer to silent or vibrate with one touch

no lock - you dont have to unlock phone to answer it

battery notifier - large battery indicator on top of screen tells you % of battery life left

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got the Impulse 4G thru AT&T. Its my first smart phone. I like it alot, it is bulkier than my old blackberry but what I like about it is I can see it due to the screen size. :D Battery life is not as good as some, but I have come to terms with that. There are tons of Apps in the droid marketplace. It does not have the keyboard like my old phone so I have been learning to use swype instead of trying to type everything. Its a new learning experience for me. I have never had an Iphone so can't help you there. Overall I am happy with my choice, especially since I got it free for renewing my AT&T contract versus what the Iphone cost. I have the unlimited Data/Messaging plan for $50 month and so far have had no connection issues. I have Hotmail and Yahoo mail, I receive all my emails without any problems.

Suzanne

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

How they could release a pricey "new" iPhone that basically a minor software change and no 4g is a joke. Apps aren't needed if your phone supports real browser access. But if you really want them Android has them. They have 45% 50%+ (lastest report) of the market & growing for a good reason. It's a better & far more adaptable environment not hobbled by big brother need for total control.

Last edited:

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't like Iphone????

I've been without a phone contract for awhile, and I'm thinking about getting a Droid Razr, mainly because it is thinner and weighs less to clip on. I now have an IPhone and find it unwieldy that way.

That will help me decide, so thanks for your help.

Fern

Fern (sis): I was almost ready to buy an Iphone -- you don't care for it? I want it mostly to check emails while traveling and as a regular cellphone. Your advice please.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
I want it mostly to check emails while traveling and as a regular cellphone. Your advice please.

Get an Android phone...
One of us has the Samsung Infuse...
The other the Motorola Atrix...

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I can get a new phone in a few more weeks, as I will be able to upgrade as my 2 years contract is just about done.

Also trying to pick new Android model. Any recommendations?

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Droid Thunderbolt. Its my first smart phone. Maybe its smarter than me. But I wouldn't get it again. It has terrible battery life. This is well documented on the Verizon Droid website http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-thunderbolt-forums/

Lots of folks of the above site have lots of problems. I really don't have any problems other than poor battery life.

I don't use most of its features. I don't use gmail, or calendar features. Its quite heavy.

My husband got the Droid x2. His battery last longer. He also doesn't use many features.

I was talked out of the iphone and so was he, but I still would like to try it.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been carrying an Evo 4G from sprint for more than a year and I've been very happy with it. Large display, fast, does anything and everything and has a great camera included.

However, I've read someplace this might not be the phone to get now a days mostly because it's an early 4G phone and this model is close to end of life. There is an Evo 4G 3D version which they sell now as well...not that I need a 3D image.

Evo is made by HTC who has a number of Evo like phones with the other carriers than Sprint.

fyi....

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Droid Thunderbolt. Its my first smart phone. Maybe its smarter than me. But I wouldn't get it again. It has terrible battery life. This is well documented on the Verizon Droid website http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-thunderbolt-forums/

Lots of folks of the above site have lots of problems. I really don't have any problems other than poor battery life.

I don't use most of its features. I don't use gmail, or calendar features. Its quite heavy.

My husband got the Droid x2. His battery last longer. He also doesn't use many features.

To save battery life, I found that if I disabled auto-sync and anything else that automatically uses the battery, that it will help. I uninstalled my weather ap and a bunch of others. Now, my phone is just a phone unless I need to use the smart aps while on the road. Having to sync email takes a while, but it is the only way to keep the battery alive for the entire day.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Judy,

I think you meant to say HTC Thunderbolt. For those who don't know, this is a 4G Android Smartphone.

I remember when you first got it and posted on Tug about it's poor battery life. I think I joined the thread and said I had a similar experience with poor battery life with my HTC Thunderbolt.

For me the solution was to go back to Verizon and purchase an extended-life battery. Since the battery is essentially twice as thick, you also get a new back cover to accomodate the battery. The battery lasts at least twice as long (if not longer) than the standard battery. Most days I can make it through the day without requiring a recharge. However, to be safe, I also keep extra charge cables at work, in the car (and my wife's car).

I don't find the slight extra size or weight of the phone annoying - but that's probably personal preference.

If the Droid Bionic had been available at the time I bought my HTC Thunderbolt, I would have chosen the Bionic. But since I changed my Thunderbolt battery, I have been pleased with the phone. The 4G is amazing,
big speed difference compared to my Motorola Droid which I had previously.

Richard