• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amtrak Rewards Program

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Big changes coming, starting with the replacement of their current Chase M/C rewards program. More info on the new partner later this month; only that Chase will be canceling all M/C with Amtrak branding and replacing with their Freedom VISA (no thank you).

The timing is coupled with the announcement that they will be overhauling their rewards program making many tickets (particularly those involving sleeping rooms) much more expensive in terms of number of points needed. The basis will be on a conversion from "cash price" of the ticket to points . . . so no longer will there be the standard "one zone" = XXX points. It will be $500 = XXX points, etc.

The changes go into effect with travel booked in Mid January 2016. More info is available on their website.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yes, this change sucks. I transferred points to Amtrak in order to redeem a room for a trip but not sure when I can go. Now I need to plan it soon or else face the potential for spending even more points.

All programs devalue over time...I just didn't expect it for Amtrak at this time.

Sent from my iPad

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, this change sucks. I transferred points to Amtrak in order to redeem a room for a trip but not sure when I can go. Now I need to plan it soon or else face the potential for spending even more points.

All programs devalue over time...I just didn't expect it for Amtrak at this time.

Sent from my iPad

I'm working hard to get my account up to 60k before the card is dropped . . . and then have until 1/24/16 to book my two 1-zone roomette (RT) trips.

I think you can book a year out, so it may still be viable to book roomette travel through 2016. At least that is what I believe and will attempt to do.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm working hard to get my account up to 60k before the card is dropped . . . and then have until 1/24/16 to book my two 1-zone roomette (RT) trips.

I think you can book a year out, so it may still be viable to book roomette travel through 2016. At least that is what I believe and will attempt to do.

1-zone roomette's are just 15,000 each. Are you reserving two for each trip?

I'm planning a 2-zone roomette for 20,000... And yes, it seems I must take this trip by next year and plan by January or else deal with the new program. That's the point I was trying to make earlier...I had thought I had three years to do the trip, now that I recently went thru hoops to renew my account...oh well...

Sent from my iPad

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1-zone roomette's are just 15,000 each. Are you reserving two for each trip?

I'm planning a 2-zone roomette for 20,000... And yes, it seems I must take this trip by next year and plan by January or else deal with the new program. That's the point I was trying to make earlier...I had thought I had three years to do the trip, now that I recently went thru hoops to renew my account...oh well...

Sent from my iPad

Sorry for the confusion . . .

15k for a 1-zone roomette each way = 30k roundtrip.

Your 2-zone roomette will be 20k each way = 40k roundtrip.

P.S. Currently with the reservation system you can book 11 months out!

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are a disabled traveler, the one zone is 15,000 for the larger one bedroom, accessible room. Not the smaller, roomette. I am not sure if there is an accessible roomette.

When I was less mobile and using crutches/cane, we took this from Bos-Mia.

I was so surprised when they told me that they discount the accessible bedroom.

I was required to show proof of my condition before boarding. That xray with the screws and plate is most effective. Downright funny, actually, when I saw the expression on their faces.

Be sure to request this room, if needed, when booking on the phone with the agent.

=

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Sorry for the confusion . . .

15k for a 1-zone roomette each way = 30k roundtrip.

Your 2-zone roomette will be 20k each way = 40k roundtrip.

P.S. Currently with the reservation system you can book 11 months out!

Ah. I plan on flying one way...

Sent from my iPad

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Thanks for the heads up on this.

As an FYI, I was able to book a one-way roomette for next June. So even though the program is changing in Jan, it looks like they are allowing redemptions at the current "price" points-wise.

And his does this swell trip sound?
Ship a bike to a cycling friend in Denver. Fly to Denver. Two nights in Denver, with some kind of mountain climbing bike ride.

Then drive to Breckenridge for 1 week
TS stay Grand Lodge on Peak 7. Ride with Breckenridge cycling friend. Plus do other stuff as well.

Possibly add 2 nights in Aspen, if my Hyatt internal exchange requests comes through.

Return to Denver, ship bike back home. Amtrak Denver to Sacramento on the California Zephyr, crossing the Rockies & the Sierra Nevadas.

Fly home from Sacramento.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That sounds like a great trip!

And yes, you can book now for travel out as far as 11 months using the current rewards system.

I did book one of our R/T roomette trips . . . Milwaukee to Albuquerque for next March. I will have enough points at the end of this month for another 1 zone R/T in a roomette. I'm thinking New Orleans next fall!