• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Aspire

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I paid for my resale week at HGVC Craigendarroch in Scotland using Aspire card. Got 14x on $6300. I did not receive the $250 statement credit as that location doesn't qualify as a Hilton resort.

amirh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Lodges
I paid for my resale week at HGVC Craigendarroch in Scotland using Aspire card. Got 14x on $6300. I did not receive the $250 statement credit as that location doesn't qualify as a Hilton resort.
I bought resale at the same resort in December and got the $250 statement credit when I paid MF.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I bought resale at the same resort in December and got the $250 statement credit when I paid MF.
Is it the Lodges or the Suites? The suites are listed on the hilton.com/resorts list but not the Lodges.

Maybe something changed.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
How did you use the resort credit so soon? I use them at HHV when I stay to pay the taxes and this takes care of wife's and I resort credit easily.

I fly United, so not able to use the airline credit unless I upgrade my seats in advance. I take it you fly with AA, Delta or SW?

I just got an offer to upgrade my Ascend card to Aspire and get the 150k HH points. Says I am eligible even though I got the 100k Ascend bonus when I completed my required spend. Thinking of carrying two Aspire cards for the resort credits. Now I dont know if I would really upgrade seats with the third $250 credit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Update
On June 28 I received the free weekend night for Ascend 15k annual spend. Applied for the upgrade to Aspire that day. Completed $4k spend on July 3rd and 150k HH points where deposited in my account on July 6th.

I am now wondering if I will get the free annual night certificate also? Verified that I have the $250 Hilton resort and $250 airline credit to use. Also have not been billed for the prorated AF yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kbgann

Reaction score
I tried reading through the 15 pages here so I hope I’m not regurgitating something already addressed. I received an offer to upgrade my Ascend card to the Aspire earlier this week. I was reading through the fine print and found the link to the resorts that are included in the $250 credit. It appears to me that they have added HGVC properties.

http://www.hilton.com/resorts

Hopefully I’m looking at that right, but if so, it would make sense for most HGVC owners to get the card when you combine it with the airline credit.

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Speaking of airline credit, it looks like it's getting less meaningful with the lack of credit for AA gift cards.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I tried reading through the 15 pages here so I hope I’m not regurgitating something already addressed. I received an offer to upgrade my Ascend card to the Aspire earlier this week. I was reading through the fine print and found the link to the resorts that are included in the $250 credit. It appears to me that they have added HGVC properties.

http://www.hilton.com/resorts

Hopefully I’m looking at that right, but if so, it would make sense for most HGVC owners to get the card when you combine it with the airline credit.

If you use up the airline credit completely every year, and you visit and spend $250 in incidentals at any resort property including HGVC, then YES you should get this card every year, as it will make you money. Card Costs $450 but you will receive more than than a year in rewards. $500 alone for the Resort and Airline incidential credit. Anything else you receive will be an additional bonus, like the priority plus usage, and the free weekend night.

Note Airline credit is annual based on Calendar year, and Resort Credit is based on your anniversary date. So in one year you could receive 2 $250 airline credits. It is true you can no longer obtain AA or other gift cards purchases for the credit, but that was never what it was intended for.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
...and you visit and spend $250 in incidentals at any resort property including HGVC...

Wanted to clarify this part.

The credit not only applies to incidentals, but also to room rate for non-Advance Purchase rates (applies to Hilton resorts in this case, not HGVC, but worth clarifying)
A good number of HGVC resorts' MFs also trigger this credit. These are discussed throughout the thread.

Cheers.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wanted to clarify this part.

The credit not only applies to incidentals, but also to room rate for non-Advance Purchase rates (applies to Hilton resorts in this case, not HGVC, but worth clarifying)
A good number of HGVC resorts' MFs also trigger this credit. These are discussed throughout the thread.

Cheers.

Yes, MFs do also trigger the credit. But I am using my credit at an actual resort, so I had incidentals on my mind.

So the question on if you can make it work, is if you receive value from the Airline Credit. Some people were using them to buy gift cards, but that is NO longer an option. It if for certain fees, like seat fees, upgrades, baggage etc.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
So the question on if you can make it work, is if you receive value from the Airline Credit. Some people were using them to buy gift cards, but that is NO longer an option. It if for certain fees, like seat fees, upgrades, baggage etc.

I believe it still works for Southwest gift cards. Also, it works for AS fares under $100, even if cancelled within 24 hours. At least it did a couple of months back.

Cheers.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks. Does seem to be drying up..and very recently!

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
If you use up the airline credit completely every year, and you visit and spend $250 in incidentals at any resort property including HGVC, then YES you should get this card every year, as it will make you money. Card Costs $450 but you will receive more than than a year in rewards. $500 alone for the Resort and Airline incidential credit. Anything else you receive will be an additional bonus, like the priority plus usage, and the free weekend night.

Note Airline credit is annual based on Calendar year, and Resort Credit is based on your anniversary date. So in one year you could receive 2 $250 airline credits. It is true you can no longer obtain AA or other gift cards purchases for the credit, but that was never what it was intended for.

Yes and I was able to get one airline credit last December for purchasing 2 extra Comfort Seats to fly from Maui to JFK and another in April when I purchased 2 extra comfort seats to fly from JFK to Kona in my first year of having the Aspire Card.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes and I was able to get one airline credit last December for purchasing 2 extra Comfort Seats to fly from Maui to JFK and another in April when I purchased 2 extra comfort seats to fly from JFK to Kona in my first year of having the Aspire Card.

Definitely works for that. On airlines where one has status and gets these sorts of seats for free, it's becoming increasingle harder to use the credit.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We fly SWA. Easy to use bonus for Early Bird, Priority upgrades and transporting DDs cat back and forth to college ($95 ea way)

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Definitely works for that. On airlines where one has status and gets these sorts of seats for free, it's becoming increasingle harder to use the credit.

Cheers.
I guess one needs to decide which "Status" one should pay for and which ones one should not pay for which sometimes can be difficult. I know I lose my free bag on Hawaiian Airlines if I use my Aspire Card to pay for the flight or pay for the fees if I am using miles. If I use my Hawaiian Airlines card to pay I get my free bag but I can't get the airline credit. Therefore, I need to pay for the flight in one direction with the Aspire card to get the airline credit, and pay for the flight in the other direction with the Hawaiian Airlines card and get the free bag. I may be getting to the point where I need to cancel the Hawaiian Airlines credit card.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have lifetime Platinum status on AA, so I don't pay for bags or premium seat selections. However I live in Houston now and AA is not always a direct flight.

So United is another choice for me. They do fly more direct from Houston. I just got the card, and have yet to pick an airline. I do realize that the airline selection is by Calendar year. So I am trying to figure out how to optimize my credit.

I might just select AA and use the credit in 2019 to buy 500 mile upgrade credits (which still works AFAiK). As I have to figure out if I have no other flights between now and end of year on United. So I will have to make my selection either before my AA flight, or when I decide I am flying elsewhere on united.

I generally don't pay for airfare, as I have been using my Chase Sapphire Reserve UR points for purchasing airfare. I no long keep a airline branded CC for perks.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess one needs to decide which "Status" one should pay for and which ones one should not pay for which sometimes can be difficult.

I have lifetime Platinum status on AA, so I don't pay for bags or premium seat selections. However I live in Houston now and AA is not always a direct flight.

We fly primarily AA and AS. We pay for all flights as we do that for status (Exec Plat on AA, MVP Gold on AS, Silver on BA). We don't check bags but, if we did, that would be free. And premium seats are free as are upgrades. We do occasionally fly WN, but we can check in at T-24, so never need Early Bird. So, unless there are loopgholes, it would be very hard for us to get the Airline Credit.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We also do 24 hour check in but always get early bird for long haul flights to NYC and HI. Also will do for packed weekend and holiday flights. Adds up.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/hilton-honors-aspire/

Great offer on the card. 150K bonus points. Don't know how I am going to do the required spend. I will have to search Flyertalk and see if anyone has had problems buying Simon Mall Visa Cards. What I would like to do is buy either those Visa Gift Cards, or some gift cards at the grocery store. I could buy Disney cards for our trip next week.

Offer expires soon. I really want those bonus points.

It's about as clear as mud how I would get this card's annual fee to pay for itself. With my Chase Sapphire Reserve, it's super easy. I hope they never change it.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/hilton-honors-aspire/

Great offer on the card. 150K bonus points. Don't know how I am going to do the required spend. I will have to search Flyertalk and see if anyone has had problems buying Simon Mall Visa Cards. What I would like to do is buy either those Visa Gift Cards, or some gift cards at the grocery store. I could buy Disney cards for our trip next week.

Offer expires soon. I really want those bonus points.

It's about as clear as mud how I would get this card's annual fee to pay for itself. With my Chase Sapphire Reserve, it's super easy. I hope they never change it.

I will PM you some tips.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am so hoping this card is worthy of the fee, and I hope I can figure out to do the minimum spend. We are planning a driving trip in January to Orlando. It will be our first in a long time.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I have this card and find it well worth it - especially when HGVC expenses count. Hope to get another one for DH when my AF is due so we can have 2 free nights for a weekend stay and keep expiration dates in sync.

I find using the free night at Conrad London in NYC to extend a stay at W57 a great value. Close by but nicer than Midtown.

Last edited: