• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Express points

labguides

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I can call AX to get this answer, but thought someone here would know the answer.
To which airlines, may I transfer AX points?
I called American Airlines and was told that some AX points transfer but not all??

My understanding is that I need I a FF account with airline, hope airline will put reservation on hold, call AX and ask them to transfer points to FF account.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
For the airlines that allow transfers, see here http://www.membershiprewards.com/ca...rue&mrip=502:8B9CE88A9A26DDA743BD43F1683B5EA9

I do not know of any transfer limits unless the airlines limit them.

Delta sometimes has a bonus on transfers. Last month, you would get a transfer bonus of 20% additional miles.

The process you describe is the one is correct AFAIK. You can also pay directly with points but I think it is a crummy deal.:(

Cheers

scotlass

TUG Member
Reaction score
United

With the Starwood AMEX card, the transfer of points is 1:1 for all airlines except United where it's 2:1. Check before you transfer to see what miles you are getting.

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
What is it that you want to do?

Do you currently have an Amex acct with accumulated points?

The reason I ask is although we have a few FF accts. We saved Amex pts for years and just went to their regular travel site where you can book most airlines and use points like cash or use points and cash.

In another place on the Amex site you can transfer direct to Hawaiian ,Virgin Atlantic and one other that I can't recall.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I called American Airlines and was told that some AX points transfer but not all??.

I believe AA was referring to the type of AMEX card. Not all AMEX cards transfer points directly into American. As stated above the Starwood AMEX card does. Citibank AAdvantage AMEX card also transfer points directly into American.

If you have AMEX membership rewards points, there isn't a direct transfer option for American Airlines.
See the list of airlines that you can use with your membership reward points in x3 skier's post above.

Webflyer mileage converter provides 9 possible ways to convert American Express Membership Rewards (US) points into American AAdvantage miles however it won't be a 1:1 conversion - http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/index.php

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The reason I ask is although we have a few FF accts. We saved Amex pts for years and just went to their regular travel site where you can book most airlines and use points like cash or use points and cash.

Here's the link to the AMEX Membership Rewards pay by points page where you can pay by points or a combination of points and cash. (basically you'll need 100 MR points for every $1) - https://www134.americanexpress.com/consumertravel/travel.do?page=pwplanding

In another place on the Amex site you can transfer direct to Hawaiian ,Virgin Atlantic and one other that I can't recall.

It's called Flight and Room Finder - https://www67.americanexpress.com/myca/loyalty/sfrfweb/SearchWidget.do?type=flight

From Flight Finder Room Finder FAQs
Q. What are Flight Finder and Room Finder services?
A. Flight Finder and Room Finder online services are a new innovative way to use Membership Rewards points. This feature allows you to search for reward flights and hotel rooms from select Membership Rewards travel partners, transfer Membership Rewards points to combine with points you have earned with these select travel partners and book entirely through this online service.

Q. Who’s eligible to use Flight Finder and Room Finder?
A. All Cardmembers enrolled in the Membership Rewards program or Membership Rewards First program whose Card accounts are in good standing, are eligible to use Flight Finder and Room Finder.

Q. What frequent flyer and guest programs can I search, transfer, and book with Flight Finder and Room Finder?
A. We are initially offering this feature with a select group of our Membership Rewards travel partners that include AirTran Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, Virgin Atlantic Airways, Hilton Family of Hotels (Hilton, Conrad, Doubletree, Embassy Suites Hotels, Hampton, Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Scandic, The Waldorf=Astoria Collection) and Priority Club properties (Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites).
The participating frequent traveler programs are always listed on the Flight Finder and Room Finder Home Page. Keep checking back, as new travel programs may be joining in the future.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I can call AX to get this answer, but thought someone here would know the answer.
To which airlines, may I transfer AX points?
I called American Airlines and was told that some AX points transfer but not all??

My understanding is that I need I a FF account with airline, hope airline will put reservation on hold, call AX and ask them to transfer points to FF account.

I transferred 120K last week to Air Canada and had Air Canada book three United flights for me using their allaince. Amex does not transfer direct to American but they do to some of American's alliance partners like Mexicana. You just have to be creative.

I did have to set up an Air Canada account. I had Air Canada on the land line and Amex on the cell phone. The transfer was instantaneous.

Terry

Bee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this mean if I transfer miles from AMEX to Air Canada I can then use the for a flight on United Airlines? :confused: I believe UAL miles can be used on Air Canada.

Thanks,
Bee

labguides

TUG Member
Reaction score
AX told me that USAir accepts their points. USAir told me they do not accept AX points. I think USAir and United are partners.

There are not many airlines which accept AX points.. and we have a ton of AX points.
JetBlue accepts AX points, but only after one has earned 100 JetBlue points.

I had enough United points left to "pay" for 1st class LAX-Boston. :)

Using points can be a royal pain!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this mean if I transfer miles from AMEX to Air Canada I can then use the for a flight on United Airlines? :confused: I believe UAL miles can be used on Air Canada.

Thanks,
Bee

Yes. You can search on United's website to find the Frequent Flyer flights you want and then call Air Canada
to book.

Terry

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
labguides

Why don't you just redeem the points on the Amex travel site and buy the tickets to whatever airline you want? It is indeed painless. We did this for our recent Hawaii trip.

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Many variables.............

In our case after reviewing options for a multi leg flight with a 3 day layover in SFO we chose to use Amex online travel points to cash for the following reasons.

Depending where you travel and when you go and time lost in layover or multi connections vs cost of the ticket as prices fluctuate within a season. It did not cost me 3 times the amount to fly to Hawaii from the east coast using Amex travels points to cash conversion.

After months of research for using points,FF programs and connecting airports we decided in the end to fly United since they service over 60% of the flights to Maui therefore had a much wider choice of flight times. It was also good I did not buy the less expensive option with Aloha or the other airline as tempted to do. It was more of a hassle and a little less expensive and then they just went belly up two weeks later. So glad we chose United in the end. Planning Maui from the east coast was enough stress. I can't imagine what would have happened with Aloha hassles. We even looked at booking trips seperately rather than a multi leg through 4-5 varing connecting cities.

At first we even thought that booking thru an Amex agent was the best option and found that was not the case. We did a better job than the agents after speaking to three Hawaii Amex so called experts beforehand.

Through this process some FF programs we belonged to had varying miles depending on the connecting airport you flew from. Hawaiian Air had flights that were 75k-120k points for the same end destination in the same category. I was amazed.

Through Amex points to cash If I booked one week earlier I could have gotten tickets for $1600.00 for both of us. I ended up paying slightly more a week later but I got the flights I wanted. Just two weeks later it was a lot more to buy the same tickets due to Aloha closing.

After months of looking at airline websites, travel websites,conversions and points.com I had had enough. It was nothing but a giant pain. We had Amex, Delta,USair and AA miles and in the end for us using the points to cash over all the other ways to go was seamless and painless plus there was another benefit.

We earned United FF miles because in essence using Amex points to cash was viewed as paying cash. So we now have 11k more miles each.

I am not saying that this works best for all as we have many FF gurus on this board and I do not profess to be one but I would use Amex points to cash thru Amex online travel anytime. A few clicks and it is done.

It costs us about $250 pp to fly to most places we travel to. If I used a 25k point AA ticket for that vacation then I could also redeem 25k Amex points to buy the same ticket and have a wider choice of airlines, seat and flight times.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
AX told me that USAir accepts their points. USAir told me they do not accept AX points. I think USAir and United are partners.

There are not many airlines which accept AX points.. and we have a ton of AX points.
JetBlue accepts AX points, but only after one has earned 100 JetBlue points.

I had enough United points left to "pay" for 1st class LAX-Boston. :)

Using points can be a royal pain!

Are you sure JetBlue only accepts them after you have 100 points in your account? It didn't seem that way when I read the info. on the AMEX site, but I certainly could be wrong.