• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amazon's Kindle eReaders are Getting a Big Software Update Soon [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Amazon's Kindle eReaders are Getting a Big Software Update Soon - by Sam Byford/ Tech/ Amazon/ The Verge/ theverge.com

Amazon has revealed a new firmware update that'll hit its Kindle e-readers later this month, and it sounds like the software will make it even easier to — you guessed it — buy books from Amazon. There's a revamped home screen with shortcuts for books on your wish list, downloaded samples, and reading lists from Goodreads, and the update will also provide quick toggles for features like airplane mode and cloud syncing.

You'll also be able to share quotes from books directly to Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads, and anyone who sees the share can read a preview of the book right in their browser without needing to sign in to Amazon. And while the list of recommended books remains at the bottom of the home screen, Amazon is implementing a new system to help hone those suggestions; you can enter your favorite genres and rate some specific books to give Amazon a better idea of what to surface..."

Richard

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I answered my own question: Will it affect Fire Tablets?

The update will come to the 2013 and 2015 models of the Kindle Paperwhite, as well as the Kindle Voyage and the 2014 standard Kindle. Amazon says the update will roll out in the next few weeks, and you don't need to do anything to receive it — the software will download and install automatically.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I hope it makes searching for a library book easier. I can't stand the cumbersome way you need to search for a library book.- either on the kindle OR on a PC.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope it makes searching for a library book easier. I can't stand the cumbersome way you need to search for a library book.- either on the kindle OR on a PC.

It won't. This update is all about selling you more Kindle books from Amazon.

On a semi-related note, Amazon announced earlier that they are opening 200-300 real live brick and mortar stores. Who knows, maybe they'll use the same locations where they bankrupted mom 'n' pop book stores. OK, they didn't do it single handedly, but along with Barnes & Noble, they made independent book sellers virtually extinct.

Jim

dougef

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Grande Vista
Relative length of books

Thanks for the heads up. I have a Kindle Voyage (which I love) and did the update.

The old Kindle software showed the relative length of each book in a row of dots. This seems to be missing in the latest software update. Am I missing something? Is it available? I always found this very useful in selecting a book from my library depending on whether I wanted to have a long or short read. Now the only way I can see finding this info is to go book by book and look at the number of pages. With 100 books, this is obviously not practical.

Any thoughts from other Kindle users? Anyone else miss this feature?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
love overdrive/public library for books on kindle!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Do the kindles automatically update when you use them? I have a paper white and a Fire.

What is overdrive?

blr666

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do the kindles automatically update when you use them? I have a paper white and a Fire.

What is overdrive?

Overdrive.com They work with lots of libraries to help you find and borrow library books. I get library cards from various counties near me and I can check to see if my book is available in another county and borrow it. :) :banana:

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Overdrive.com is awesome for audiobooks, too.

In addition to your local library, check other large libraries in your state. For instance, here in Texas, the Houston library lets you get a card if you live anywhere in the state.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I easily get half my books from the jax public library...they have an outstanding collection of e-books and audiobooks! ive never stepped foot in the buildings!

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)

What is overdrive?

This is what the email I received from Amazon said:

Your Kindle e-reader requires an important software update to continue downloading books and using Kindle services.

To receive the update, follow these steps:

Plug your Kindle in to charge during the update.

Turn on wireless.

Leave your Kindle plugged in and connected to the wireless network overnight, or until the update is complete.

The software update will download and install automatically, even if your device is asleep. Your device may restart multiple times during the update process. You will get a final confirmation letter on your device when the update is complete.

If you do not update the device software by March 22, 2016, you will no longer be able to access Kindle services or get the update via connecting to a wireless network. To resume access, you will need to manually update the software on your Kindle. Please visit our Help page for more details on how to update automatically.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This is what the email I received from Amazon said:

Your Kindle e-reader requires an important software update to continue downloading books and using Kindle services.

To receive the update, follow these steps:

Plug your Kindle in to charge during the update.

Turn on wireless.

Leave your Kindle plugged in and connected to the wireless network overnight, or until the update is complete.

The software update will download and install automatically, even if your device is asleep. Your device may restart multiple times during the update process. You will get a final confirmation letter on your device when the update is complete.

If you do not update the device software by March 22, 2016, you will no longer be able to access Kindle services or get the update via connecting to a wireless network. To resume access, you will need to manually update the software on your Kindle. Please visit our Help page for more details on how to update automatically.

Gee- I never got this email. I put the wireless on and nothing happened but there is a message that my kindle is up to date- but I am not thinking that it is this update.( I rarely have the wireless on except to get the free library book each month) I guess I will plug in both my kindles now and do this and see what happens. Thanks.

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't get that e-mail either, but I have another question. I moved from Kelowna, BC, to Toronto, Ontario, how do I change the Wi Fi on the Kindle? Tried to download something, but it didn't work. Can someone help out? Thanks. Elli

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't get that e-mail either, but I have another question. I moved from Kelowna, BC, to Toronto, Ontario, how do I change the Wi Fi on the Kindle? Tried to download something, but it didn't work. Can someone help out? Thanks. Elli

It shouldn't matter. My Kindles download purchases etc. no matter where I take them. Call Amazon support- (or have them call you). Just follow the 'Help' menu at the top of any Amazon page.

Jim

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't matter. My Kindles download purchases etc. no matter where I take them. Call Amazon support- (or have them call you). Just follow the 'Help' menu at the top of any Amazon page.
Jim
Thanks, Jim, I'll give Amazon a call.

wptamo

Reaction score
I'm not sure this comment is allowed, apologize if it breaks the rules...
Amazon, at least their fullfilmemt center here in Canada is a horrible place to work. My daughter was fired on Thursday, she had asked for Friday and Sat off as she had all 4 of her wisdom teeth out yesterday, Friday... As a father I'm upset to say the least. I do not think there is any legal recourse or any unemployement benefits options since she was a temp on a week to week contract. I'm over it sort of, time to move on.... But I thought I'd highlight some realities behind the scenes. When I was kid just starting out, things were a lot nicer, fairer.

Regards....

sun&fun

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious . . . was your daughter's contract with Amazon, or with a company that staffed the center for Amazon? It doesn't make her situation any more tolerable, but I have often wondered why Amazon sub-contracts with companies that have some horrible human resources policies that reflect so poorly upon Amazon's reputation.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
wptamo, much has been written condemning Amazon's treatment of employees at their fulfillment centers. I'm sorry that your daughter was treated with such inhumanity, and hope her healing process goes quickly and without complication. I had 2 wisdom teeth out at the same time and understand the misery.

I hope your daughter can find a great place to work at a well paying and personally fulfilling endeavor.

Jim

wptamo

Reaction score
Hiya, yes you are correct, it was with a subcontracting company....I'm,guess there is a legal difference , but to me it is the same....
I had an awesome job experience when I was a kid, I worked in a warehouse part time thru highschool, then full time after, then part time again when I went back to college. They were great, flexible, understanding, bosses where good, I could get as many hours as I needed, all for the same company, a very large multinational too... Sigh, the good ole days!

Thanks for the kind words all

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)

To add a Wi-Fi network to your Kindle Paperwhite, follow these steps:

If necessary, turn on your Kindle Paperwhite.

Tap Menu→Settings

From the same screen, tap Wi-Fi Networks.

If Wi-Fi is not turned on, you will get a message asking if it should be turned on. Tap OK.

Or, if the Kindle Paperwhite is in Airplane mode (that is, Wi-Fi is not turned on), you'll see a message asking if you want to turn off Airplane mode.

Select the network to which you want to connect.

If the network you want to connect to has a lock icon next to its name, you need to enter a password.

If the network requires a password, enter it in the Wi-Fi Networks dialog box using the onscreen keyboard.

If you are connecting to a network at work and don't know the password, see the system administrator.

You can enter numbers and symbols by tapping the keyboard's 123!? key. Tap ABC to go back to the regular keyboard.

When your Kindle Paperwhite is connected to Wi-Fi, a wireless indicator appears in the upper-right corner of the screen, next to the battery charge meter. You see this indicator on the Home screen and when you display the toolbar while reading an e-book.

The wireless indicator can be one of the following:

Wi-Fi: The Kindle Paperwhite is connected to a Wi-Fi network. The arcs on the fan next to Wi-Fi indicate the strength of the Wi-Fi connection.

3G: The Kindle Paperwhite 3G is connected to a 3G network. This icon pertains only to the Kindle Paperwhite that includes 3G and Wi-Fi. The bars next to 3G indicate the strength of the 3G connection.

1X: The Kindle Paperwhite 3G is connected to a network through EDGE/GPRS (the predecessor to 3G in cellular network delivery). The 1X icon applies only to the Kindle Paperwhite 3G. As cellular networks become more widespread, you will rarely — if ever — see this icon.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If I have the "g" on the top of my paper white does that mean it was updated? How do I know if my Fire Tablet was updated?

Status
Not open for further replies.