• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amazon FireTV Stick set-up at WPORV

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
OK - figured out how to get Amazon FireTV Stick working while at WPORV (going to rain...) - probably should work with any similar device, and perhaps other SVOs.

Find MAC address for device access to resort WiFi - for FireTV Stick this is on set-up homepage.
Call IT Dept via Service Express - and they will activate WiFi access for device using MAC address, and they will need to log device onto Website just like any device.
Then run set-up as normal - the FireTV Stick will need to be pre-registered to account holders' name.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Glad you got it working using the MAC address...

Sent from my iPad

whathowmuch

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's how I got my Fire Stick to work at hyatt highlands inn in carmel.

That service is a life saver if you have kids.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Glad you got it working using the MAC address...

Sent from my iPad

Thanks for the info - missed the idea of the MAC address is needed by them to device access. You would think that there would be an IT cheat sheet for FireStick, Roku, Chromecast...
Go here... Do this... Enter that...

Guess I should add - to put device in HDMI slot - and set TV input to the HDMI input

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Works while not raining as well...

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If you need to do this in future, some tech types on the other end of the phone may not understand you very quickly....especially after an 11 hour flight and 2 Mai-tai's.......

I think they refer to this as 'white-listing the device by MAC address'

I thought Fire sticks had captive portal login now....Hmm. Found it.

You can connect direct. You may have some issues with daily sign-in and clearing the cache/forgetting the network/rebooting etc... but it should work. Amazon is very helpful if you have problems.

Connect Your Amazon Fire TV Device to a Public Wi-Fi Network

Connect to public Wi-Fi networks like hotels and schools that require a browser sign in.

If you are traveling or using a Wi-Fi connection that requires a web browser to sign in, you can still connect your Amazon Fire TV device.

1. From the Home screen, select Settings > System > Wi-Fi.
  2. Under Available Networks, select the public Wi-Fi network. For networks that require a web page to log in, a browser window will pop up after several seconds.
    Note: In the browser pop-up, you can only access the sign in page for the public Wi-Fi network.

3. Follow the onscreen instructions to use your Amazon remote to select input fields. Press the Menu
    GUID-EEDF100D-8B21-4FD6-95BD-159D393A5291_en-US.png
    button to enter cursor mode to select links or input fields. An onscreen keyboard will pop up for text fields.
  4. Enter in the required information. This could be a pre-shared password, room number, or just a button to accept conditions for using the network. Contact the network owner for more information.
  5. After your device connects to the network, the browser window closes automatically.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I saw this - but the issue is the Westin LogIn Web Page is not supported. The above is for an open network using FireTV - not the FireTV stick. There is no Web Page support - so...
Called IT and gave them MAC address and they logged the device (using my unit# and LastName) onto the Westin Internet Page.

This is why I posted it for these 'stick' devices. If you try and use TheWestinVillas WiFi access - it fails because it cannot log on using webpage interface.
(Sorry if I got nomenclature incorrect)

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I saw this - but the issue is the Westin LogIn Web Page is not supported. The above is for an open network using FireTV - not the FireTV stick. There is no Web Page support - so...
Called IT and gave them MAC address and they logged the device (using my unit# and LastName) onto the Westin Internet Page.

This is why I posted it for these 'stick' devices. If you try and use TheWestinVillas WiFi access - it fails because it cannot log on using webpage interface.
(Sorry if I got nomenclature incorrect)

According to the reviews I read (quite a few) many have had success with the Fire TV stick (stick, not box) at Hotels etc.. using captive portal. Unfortunately, they are not all the same. Apparently, some portals use display tech. not supported on the stick (active flash or ?). Those are not compatible. I'll have to do some experimenting. At lease one Marriott owner reported success. Another sideloaded Chrome on to the stick and just opened chrome to complete the sign-in.

Thanks for the great feedback.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Good to know that Westin internet was able to accommodate. I tried using my FireTV stick when it was new at a Marriott and Marriott tech support said that they don't support that device at all, which was disappointing since Marriott no longer supports wired Ethernet at many, if not all, of their resorts (so I couldn't connect via my own router). I'm very glad Westin still supports wired access at all resorts as I use my own router to connect various devices - much easier than dealing with support. And, now I exclusively use my Roku stick when traveling...my FireTV stick is gathering dust...Roku is much better.

Sent from my iPad

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Somewhat tangential - but what are the differences between FireTV stick and Roku?
FireTV stick seems to work well now that it was able to connect.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
According to the reviews I read (quite a few) many have had success with the Fire TV stick (stick, not box) at Hotels etc.. using captive portal. Unfortunately, they are not all the same. Apparently, some portals use display tech. not supported on the stick (active flash or ?). Those are not compatible. I'll have to do some experimenting. At lease one Marriott owner reported success. Another sideloaded Chrome on to the stick and just opened chrome to complete the sign-in.

Thanks for the great feedback.

This was originally specific for WPORV, but likely applies to other SVO resorts that use the sign-in browser as there is no way to access and sign-in the FireTV Stick without IT (and associated MAC address) help in these instances.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
So, a few points:

• The fire Tv stick was significantly upgraded back in April 2015 (by software update). If haven't updated since then, you might just find that it works after update.
  • Amazon is very helpful and will work you thru any problems you have. Just chat them or email.
  • You may need to reboot (or reset) your stick to force updates. You will need wifi connection to update.
  • Captive portal is definitely working, just not on every captive portal in the world. Marriott was mentioned as one that worked.
Some advice from Amazon for those with problems:
I'm sorry about that, xxxxx! There are several reasons this could be happening. The web page on your Fire TV device may not display correctly if the webpage isn't optimized for mobile browser viewing (e.g. Flash elements). Try hitting the "Play/Pause" button on your Amazon remote to refresh the page. If the web page won't open up on your Fire TV device:

1. Go to Settings>Apps>Manage All Applications.
2. Select "CaptivePortalLauncher."
3. Clear app data, clear cache, and force stop the app.

If you are still having issues, contact the network owner (e.g. Hotel front desk) to verify that the Wi-Fi network uses a webpage Wi-Fi sign in and that the network is up and running. I hope this helps!

So, in this order, you plug in your Fire Stick to the outlet and then to the HDMI port on the hotel tv. Then change the input on the TV to the correct HDMI port where your Fire Stick is plugged in. Then you should see a box indicating there is no internet and to go to Network Settings. After you hit that box it will look for the Hotel Wifi. Then click on the correct hotel Wifi you will use and the sign in box should appear. After you go to the name box and hit it you will see the letters and characters input box come up and you enter your name (or room number, etc.) and the hotel password in the next box. Then hit connect and you should be good to go. Hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201740080

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
On a recent trip with a complicated 'splash screen' sign-in, I was able to successfully use the Amazon Fire TV stick to:

1. check the box to logon
  2. select the radio button for '1 week' internet access
  3. enter my room number
  4. select 'go ....etc'
  5. log onto the internet and use the Fire stick to stream TV
The Amazon Fire TV stick WILL definitely navigate complicated sign-on screens in hotels. Not just 'click here' boxes, but much more complicated systems as well. There is a time-delay (it takes several seconds for the stick to recognize the need to 'pop-up' and display keyboard etc...

It works. (Must be updated software--post March 2015)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
On a recent trip with a complicated 'splash screen' sign-in, I was able to successfully use the Amazon Fire TV stick to:

1. check the box to logon
  2. select the radio button for '1 week' internet access
  3. enter my room number
  4. select 'go ....etc'
  5. log onto the internet and use the Fire stick to stream TV
The Amazon Fire TV stick WILL definitely navigate complicated sign-on screens in hotels. Not just 'click here' boxes, but much more complicated systems as well. There is a time-delay (it takes several seconds for the stick to recognize the need to 'pop-up' and display keyboard etc...

It works. (Must be updated software--post March 2015)

As mentioned - it was part of upgrade. Once I got the Stick to work - it upgraded and then next time (following week when I switched villas) I was able to navigate the web-based sign-on screen.

What I should have done was upgrade the Stick prior to arriving at the resort, but the WPORV IT was very helpful getting the non-upgraded Stick to sign-on.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
super.

Yeah, I'm not rally sure how to tell if it has upgraded or not (as time goes by). I just occasionally check and it seems to be good.

Love my stick. Very good for Netflix and Amazon too.
Roku is great, but stick is much more convenient for travel. I confess: I haven't used/been able to use my google chromecast in ages. Need wired access in room (for my router) or complicated hot-spot/ICS sharing to use it. Nice at home for 'free' smart TV.

Glad it works for you too!
Cheers.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Love my stick. Very good for Netflix and Amazon too. Roku is great, but stick is much more convenient for travel.

FWIW, once I started using my Roku Stick I haven't bothered even connecting my Fire even once. However, Roku doesn't have the same login capability as the Fire.

Sent from my iPad

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
FWIW, once I started using my Roku Stick I haven't bothered even connecting my Fire even once. However, Roku doesn't have the same login capability as the Fire.

Sent from my iPad

We have prime....I really like the prime stuff. Not on Roku is it?
Plus, I download prime movies/TV onto my Fire HDX tablet and then stream direct from HDX to Fire stick/box. We have slow internet, so the ability to download/reply is nice.
Also, I download our fav. TV shows we watch (not much, but fun to watch on Vaca) . I can watch that on Airplane or stream to stick in resort.
Works great.

I need to try and use my Roku more...I'm just lazy and don't watch that much TV upstairs where the Roku is.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We have prime....I really like the prime stuff. Not on Roku is it?

Yes, it is available on Roku. It's not available on Apple TV (yet).

Sent from my iPad

Bill4728

Reaction score
Darn

We were recently at the Marriott Newport Coast with our fire stick but could find this post.

so we never were able to get the fire stick to work

I put a link to this thread on the TUG Travel info FYI thread

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Thanks. I aim to test all these theories as I conquer the world, 1 timeshare at a time. I travel with at least one streaming device....we can't stand commercial TV and like to have a quick episode or music after dinner or when its raining etc... too. I'll try the various 'sticks' and Roku this year.

A quick suggestion: ROKU is offering their ROKU SE (really a re-branded Roku 1) this holiday season (black Friday) for just $25. It has some nice features; with limitations:

• HDMI and analog output--when you have an HDMI TV, great. When you don't, just connect that red/white/yellow analog cable to the TV/ROKU (or re-route the one on the TV!) and you're good to go.
  • IR simple remote with updated push buttons for your favorite streaming.....No voice search or wireless remote or headphone jacks
  • HD quality, but not 4K,
  • Wi-Fi enabled, but just standard 802.11 (a/b/g/n compatible) with WEP, WPA, and WPA2 support--NO wired Ethernet port.
  • Works with your phone/tablet.
Finally, it's hotel/dorm friendly: (all models)

Connecting Away from Home Just Got Easier
Hotel and Dorm Connect is a new feature that allows consumers to connect their Roku player and Roku Streaming Stick® to Wi-Fi networks that require sign-in through a web browser like those commonly found in hotel rooms, college dorms and other public locations. Consumers simply connect their Roku device to the password-protected network, sign-in with their login credentials using the browser on their mobile phone, tablet or laptop, and they’re ready to start streaming. !

Bill4728

Reaction score
Amazon Fire TV has had an update so hooking up while at a resort is easy.
Just choose the correct WiFi provider and the Fire Stick will let you go to the webpage to put in your sign in info.

Easy

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Awesome!

I have a new Firestick and Roku ready to try on our next visit. We'll see which works better!