• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amazon Fire 7

jkb

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I need some advice from anyone who knows about the Amazon Fire 7. I am fairly computer stupid (only do research, browsing, email, a little online shopping, document prep, etc.). But because of a problem with our rental car on our last trip, I would feel better if I had internet connectivity from now on (I do not have a smart phone or iphone - only a Tracfone for emergencies. I do not have a laptop).

Here was my dilemma during the last trip: the car rental company would not honor my reservation at our destination & was NOT helpful in securing another vehicle. Only because my niece (who was traveling with us) had a smart phone, were we able to make a car reservation from another company before returning to the airport. Until that point, I never wanted to have a computer with me on vacation.

I was given an Amazon Fire 7. From the research I've done, it sounds like if I have a strong WIFI connection, I can get the internet. But in order to do anything on it (like making a car rental reservation), I need to get a compatible keyboard to use with it. Right? Or can I scroll on the screen like I see people doing on their smart phones? Although I have no desire to check email back home, can this be done on a Fire 7. If yes, how would I do this?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Janet

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The Amazon Fire will have a on-screen keyboard (just like smart phones) so you do not need an external keyboard. You will be able to check email as well, but you may need someone to help set up your email account on the Fire tablet since you have little/no experience with tablets/smart phones.

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I travel exclusively with and use daily an Amazon Kindle Fire 8. I think it's the perfect device for travel. It has a 'virtual' keyboard that pops up on the screen when needed (as in there's a box that needs input or you want to type an email. You can't (or at least I can't touch type on it- it's more of a two-fingered hunt & peck, but for short notes it works fine. You can plug in a USB keyboard, but it isn't necessary. It has a great wi-fi receiver. At a resort in Mexico, my wife couldn't use her laptop except in the lobby area, and my Fire worked fine (though it showed a weak signal) in the room.

This day and age, I can't see traveling without some kind of digital device, with airline boarding passes, rental car and resort confirmations you don't need to print, and the ability to change airline reservations immediately in case of a cancellation. There are any number of situations when going online instantly makes life easier and better.

Oh, and plus, with the Fire, you have a viable camera with you all the time- and with your Amazon Prime membership, you have free storage for ALL your content- pictures, movies, books, everything. And when you change devices, all that content automatically transfers to the new one.

If the Fire has a disadvantage on other tablets, It's that it uses Amazon's proprietary Silk browser, and users HAVE to get all their apps through the Amazon App store. You CAN load another browser- like Chrome- and use Google Play, but that's probably not for a user who isn't comfortable with putzing around 'under the hood' of their computer, but I haven't bothered..

Jim

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Our phones work fine regarding making last minute car reservations. The last quick reservation was a n autoslash reservation made when we missed our come ting flight. I used my phone. It has data.

Regarding the fire tablet , it will do almost everything a laptop can do. The big drawback for me is there is no HDMI port on the fire tablet.

Bill

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Janet ! How much have you used this Fire tablet? I ask b/c in order for you to use it during your travels you would need to know how to connect it to Wifi, set up your email, access the internet, download relevant apps onto it, etc. Do you have experience connecting to Wifi in different locations, places?

You can do all of the things you'd want it to do! My suggestion would be to make sure you get comfortable with it at home before you take it with to rely on it while traveling.

jkb

TUG Member
Reaction score
To everyone that replied - Thank you!!! Until Cornell wrote, I thought that the Amazon Fire 7 was going to be my saving grace. Now I'm not so sure... I have not even opened the pkg up yet - thought if it was not going to be useful, I'd return it. I didn't know you had to 'connect' to Wifi - thought if it was available, your device would just "get on" (so the answer to your question re connecting to Wifi in different places, Cornell, is NO)... Figured there would be an icon to touch that would connect me to the internet like on my desktop PC... Oh, boy :( ...... I know 2 people that are computer savvy that will be able to set up the email (although one is away for the month of Feb but we don't travel till the end of March). Guess I need to get moving...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Figured there would be an icon to touch that would connect me to the internet like on my desktop PC... Oh, boy :( ......

Guess I need to get moving...
There is. When you push the power button, the Fire will start. After it's up and running, just swipe your finger from the top of the screen down. it will open a window, and the top, left item will be Wi-Fi. It will show you what network you are on- or what networks are available. Those that have a little padlock next to them need a password to enter, those that don't are 'open' (unsecured) networks. Just touch one of those. You might have to go through an initialization the first time - fill in an 'accept conditions' button. You might have to open a browser. On a Fire, that's called Silk. Touch it's icon (an S in a circle). In the address box type cnn.com it is an unsecure website unlike TUG or other URLs that start with https. That 's' shows that it's secure and you won't be able to enter the sign on page. You will be able to sign on to the wi-fi system. The Fire will remember this system the next time you turn it on in that locale. When you see the little 'fan' icon at the top right of your screen you're online and can type your address URLs (like www.tugbbs.com/ ) and be here like magic. To add more web pages, touch the (+) at the top right of the address bar and you'll get another browser screen..

A little practice with your new tablet and you'll be navigating all over the web. Cornell is right get used to it at home. Don't expect to just open it the first time while traveling and be proficient. It isn't difficult, and you can't do it any harm. Worst case scenario, you can re-boot it by simply holding the power button until it goes dark, touch the power button again to re-start and it's just like new all over again- but with your preferences still working (language, etc.)

Have fun with it. It's the ideal traveling companion.

Jim

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I love my Amazon tablets. I have 2 of them (8" and 10") and use them all the time, not just when I travel. But, they are excellent for travel when paired with Amazon Prime and/or another streaming service. Prime gives you, besides free shipping, thousands of free books to read and thousands of free video content that can be downloaded prior to going on the plane to use while in "Airplane Mode". Between that content, plus games, a browser (Silk works pretty good), the ability to keep up with my emails (I have 3 accounts), connection with Alexa to check my Ring doorbell, stream music, and Facebook. There was one time when I was visiting my sister that we wanted to watch our home team football game. I was able to do that with the FIOS app plus see content I had recorded at home on the DVR. They give me everything I need in a small inexpensive package (I bought both as refurbished for less than $100 each).