• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Am I the only one who feels this way about the media?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I want to congratulate TUG'ers on a rational, sensible thread which somehow managed to avoid politics or other contentious issues. We managed to avoid the temptation to throw in a snide remark or two about particular sources... so far.

IMHO, the restraint is a testament to the posters well-honed intellect.
<brown nosing /off>

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
I want to congratulate TUG'ers on a rational, sensible thread which somehow managed to avoid politics or other contentious issues. Somehow, we've managed to avoid the temptation to throw in a snide remark or two about a source... so far. IMHO, the restraint is a testament to the posters well-honed intellect.
<brown nosing /off>

almost all temptations avoided :)

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Its not easy, but I am renewing my mind and heart with Gods help.:)

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Is anyone including social media in "the media"? It seems to me that it would be the number one spreader of info of dubious quality.

If someone on my Facebook feed is consistently posting “dubious quality” information or toxic political messages, I put them on a 30 day timeout. If they still are posting like after 30 days, I block them. My Twitter and Instagram accounts are related to my school so I don’t have an issue with those.

Brett

Reaction score
Is anyone including social media in "the media"? It seems to me that it would be the number one spreader of info of dubious quality.

yes, "social media" is certainly responsible for spreading false or dubious quality information
with facebook you can 'unfollow' a person so it doesn't get in your newsfeed

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Too many people post info on social media without verifying its authenticity, and this is bad. At least in the media they try to post the truth. Social media is used by corporations and well known individuals as part of their media campaigns (every news network and channel has a Twitter account, for instance), so I would define these types of social media accounts as part of “the media”, but other individuals (such as those of us here) I would not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
At least in the media they try to post the truth...:ROFLMAO:

The operative word is try. Whether we believe it or not is a different question, and I’m trying to keep my personal beliefs out of this answer...

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
they try to post the truth...:ROFLMAO:

I think I catch the sarcasm.
What they do is pick + choose which truth, much like we pick berries.

But only a fool uses social media for anything other than...
(1) for a business, (b) pics of relates you don't care about, [and (3) TUG].

Last edited:

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too many people post info on social media without verifying its authenticity, and this is bad. At least in the media they try to post the truth. Social media is used by corporations and well known individuals as part of their media campaigns (every news network and channel has a Twitter account, for instance), so I would define these types of social media accounts as part of “the media”, but other individuals (such as those of us here) I would not.

This forum is social media. So yea, I agree with your first sentence. I disagree with your second sentence. The media/press isn't interested in the truth. They are interested in revenue and profits. Fear sells. Anger sells. Outrage sells. Facts don't matter.

Get your "news" wherever you chose. If you are curious enough, you'll seek out the truth.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
This forum is social media. So yea, I agree with your first sentence. I disagree with your second sentence. The media/press isn't interested in the truth. They are interested in revenue and profits. Fear sells. Anger sells. Outrage sells. Facts don't matter.

Get your "news" wherever you chose. If you are curious enough, you'll seek out the truth.

Once again, they “try”...I didn’t say they succeed. I posted earlier about the problem with the news being a for profit enterprise, tho not in too much detail since that could quickly get too political for this forum. You’re on the right path.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I haven't been a fan of the main stream news media outlets for a long time. I do like most of the weather and business news. Our local news is pretty good.

It's kind of funny that I have friends who quote CNN and FOX and every one seems know what is going on except me, lol.

Bill

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been a fan of the main stream news media outlets for a long time. I do like most of the weather and business news. Our local news is pretty good.

It's kind of funny that I have friends who quote CNN and FOX and every one seems know what is going on except me, lol.

Bill
If you read both CNN and FOX, which I do, you can draw your own conclusions as to what is real and what is fake news. It still amazes me that headlines on both are rarely ever the same news. They just carry different news or opinion-driven piece.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you read both CNN and FOX, which I do, you can draw your own conclusions as to what is real and what is fake news. It still amazes me that headlines on both are rarely ever the same news. They just carry different news or opinion-driven piece.

FWIW, for years even the headlines for newspapers were different based on the region. Same story, different headline. I’d post links to examples but the first few I found are too political. If you’re curious, a quick search will reveal them. If they don’t sell, they go out of business and newspapers may not sell if they can’t interest the reader.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
We enjoy our local and national ABC news outlet. They seem pretty unbiased. But, just because we are inundated with the catch phrase “fake news”, doesn’t necessarily mean it is! Just because something may be unflattering doesn’t necessarily mean it’s fake. That has been proven over and over and over. We don’t watch CNN or Fox for obvious reasons. The print news is much more suspect because it is obviously all about how many copies of whatever they are selling they can push.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was teaching, I tried to teach a propaganda technique unit, and it was not easy to find good examples. Now name calling, glittering generalities, bandwagon, half truths, etc are so common, it would be not only easy to find examples, but really necessary to be taught.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I think a lot of the change has come from the sheer number of "news" or "media" outlets, and the 24/7 need to say something. I call this "five minutes of news jam-packed into an hour." There just isn't enough news to cover 24/7 without repeating it, and then it becomes old hat unless some controversy is introduced.

And [referring to earlier posts] this may have accelerated about 2008, plus or minus 4 years. Surely the economic problems them were difficult to understand, harder to fix, and so invited finding-of-blame to provide an evergreen source of things to talk about.

Another factor IMHO is the near-constant presence of "leaks." These are almost always designed to spin news a certain way, and there is plenty of evidence that a large chunk of the audience will accept whatever they hear that seems to reinforce their feelings.

You can find longer, thoughtful articles, both TV and text, in places like the BBC or PBS news hour, but most people won't sit still long enough to digest them. I get some of the best analysis of US information from overseas outlets. I think they're less invested, and get more public support (i.e. government) so less need to sell ads.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
To me almost every media outlet has bias. I read/watch all of them and then decide for myself by looking for other sources that can clarify the truth.
And headlines, don't even get me started. If I read 20 articles on any given day, I find 19 of them with outrageous headlines
To both of this-if they can post links to their "facts" I will nearly always follow the link to see what it really says. It's why I rarely watch the news anymore. I'd rather be able to fall down the rabbit hole myself LOL. Steve-completely agree about the headlines-been a pet peeve for quite a while.
I read a story about a reporter who made up a false FB personality to see what happened in the "other' camp. Even though this person was firm in their beliefs they found that being surrounded by an "echo" chamber made it harder and harder to differentiate what was actual fact vs opinion stated as fact, even when they knew the fact/opinion was just plain false. So yea-careful of social media platforms. I broke off and shut down my facebook 2 months ago. Missed it at first, but also-wow-anxiety is better too. Mostly miss seeing the family updates...but I can call or text for that too. It is really amazing too how many businesses don't have web pages, just a facebook page, and even if they have both-FB is more updated.
Social media is in how you use it-I've found some really good info here as so many different members post stuff I never would have found on my own. I really appreciate the direct links-again I can fall down into the internet rabbit hole if I choose :)
You can find longer, thoughtful articles, both TV and text, in places like the BBC or PBS news hour, but most people won't sit still long enough to digest them. I get some of the best analysis of US information from overseas outlets. I think they're less invested, and get more public support (i.e. government) so less need to sell ads.
Also agree with the 24 hour news cycle contributing to need to keep generating "clicks" to bring in money to keep operating.

I grew up listening to Cronkite-parents watched him.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I just deleted Apple news from my iThingys. It was depressing what they offered as “news“. The headlines are the worst.

Cheers

geekette

Reaction score
...It is really amazing too how many businesses don't have web pages, just a facebook page, and even if they have both-FB is more updated.

Yes! I have never done FB so businesses that don't have a webpage don't get business from me. I agree, this trend has been going on for many years now. I guess business will have to slow down for them to reverse the trend.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As we know, nothing happens unless it's on facebook.
If it's not there, it didn't happen; but if it is, then it did.
-- The Facebook moto. ...<satire>...