• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Am I a "Good Candidate" to own a TS

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you are correct, can't see buying that many timeshares... probably a combination of both. That said, we are starting to experience what you are saying... seems like most of the well rated places are tough to get. I think one of our biggest eye openers is that there really isn't much available (we though it would be the opposite. Are people now just renting out their TS themselves and bypassing the RCI and II option? Thanks again for responding.
Timeshares, unlike hotels generally operate with something like 98+% occupancy, whereas hotels routinely have 30+% of their rooms empty. It's easy to see that people who are used to picking up a phone and booking a room, say 'There is NO Availability!' when they call a fully booked TS resort. Remember, WE are the OWNERS. Empty rooms (availability) mean higher costs for US.

scottas64

Reaction score
One other thing I'd add: in addition to "can you make plans in advance" there's another related question: "how much anxiety would you have with uncertain plans?" In your situation, I myself, for example, wouldn't be too worried if let's say I had booked one week but wasn't quite sure yet where I would be staying for the following week. I'm on vacation: worst case I book a hotel or switch to a different city or find something on craigslist or even fly home. But for other people, like my wife, it might be extremely anxiety invoking to be in that type of situation.

For me, part of the fun of being on vacation is the spontaneity. But it's not for everyone.
This is a great point.... we are totally good with "winging it" ... seems like part of the adventure for us. We have slept in our car, on the beach, etc when things are gone haywire .... part of the adventure and part of the story :) We're gonna give it a try. Biggest concern with TS seems to be the availability of nice properties - I think our parents TS is probably bottom quartile - not sure if we'll have much success getting the nicer/tougher addresses???? Thanks for replying!

scottas64

Reaction score
I agree with the others. It doesn't seem timeshares would be a fit for you. Even in my case, able to go any time of the year, planning 5-6 months ahead and staying in timeshares in the off-season, I got rid of my ownerships and now only rent. The expense, hassle, and unavailability when occasionally trying to trade into a higher season wasn't worth it.
This very well could be the case for us in the longer term but gonna give it a little time. What are your main resources for renting? When you rent, like on TUG, do you just pay the posted price or are there multiple other expenses (guest fee, transfer fee, etc). Thanks for your reply :)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hello,

I appreciate the following question may have been asked "a million times" and if so, if you can just direct me to the appropriate thread, that would be greatly appreciated.

My wife and I are new to all things TS. We are currently staying two weeks in Vacation Villages property in Weston, Florida. It belongs to my wife's parents and they can not use it, so we paid this year's maintenance fees and thought we would give it a try. It appears to be more expensive than expected by the time you add up maintenance fee, fee for rolling over expiring points, RCI membership fee, exchange fee, and fee because we aren't the owners. Happy to put $ figures to all those if interested. Anyways, here is our question(s):

1 - What kind of "vacationer" is the best fit for a timeshare? My wife and I are really the "lets do it again" type - we like to explore different places when we vacation.

2 - Are TS's for the advanced planner( 12-18 months out) or the "lets do that next month" type of vacation people (we're the latter)?

3 - If we like to take people with us (family/friends) does that work well for TS owners?

4 - The people on TUG are obviously keenly knowledgeable and well researched on TSs. Does one have to be an expert student of the TS world to get value out of ownership.

5 - Is there any reason to consider taking over parents TS as they no longer see themselves doing much travel due to age and health?

This turned out to be more than I expected but thank you in advance for reading and especially answering if your time permits. Sorry the questions are so general, but we are just peeling back the first layer of the onion. Cheers K&S
Unfortunately TS developers aren’t interested in making these programs work for most vacationers. It doesn’t work for the last minute traveler. It’s really bad that way. Buy one week for an interval account, then buy getaways last minute

scottas64

Reaction score
Unless your like me and have no problems heading out to “over saturated areas” -
i use my timeshares to get me to specific locations that require planning Sedona ect…than the exchange companies bonus/AC/last call/getaways ect - for always available Vegas, Williamsburg and even were you just were in Weston ect…
OK - this seems like a SOLID strategy and I think we will give it a try. Any suggestions on how to land those spots that are hard to get like Sedona?? Thanks for replying :)

scottas64

Reaction score
OK - this seems like a SOLID strategy and I think we will give it a try. Any suggestions on how to land those spots that are hard to get like Sedona?? Thanks for replying :)

Unfortunately TS developers aren’t interested in making these programs work for most vacationers. It doesn’t work for the last minute traveler. It’s really bad that way. Buy one week for an interval account, then buy getaways last minute
Parents own 2 weeks - is the best strategy to put them on RCI, Interval, or both? Thanks

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Parents own 2 weeks - is the best strategy to put them on RCI, Interval, or both? Thanks
I like interval. The resorts are better IMO. You may be able to get very last minute exchanges. Sometimes a week or a few days out.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I think you are correct, can't see buying that many timeshares... probably a combination of both. That said, we are starting to experience what you are saying... seems like most of the well rated places are tough to get. I think one of our biggest eye openers is that there really isn't much available (we though it would be the opposite. Are people now just renting out their TS themselves and bypassing the RCI and II option? Thanks again for responding.
If you're basing your comment about lack of availability on doing a manual search, you have reached an incorrect conclusion. Manual searches only show what is LEFT OVER after all of the on-going computer searches are satisfied. It is kind of like the old Kmart "blue light specials" - - if you arrive an hour late, there won't be much merchandise left.

Putting in an on-going request far in advance is a good way to get higher quality matches. I try to put in my requests a year in advance. Many owners make their higher demand home resort res's a year in advance and if they want to exchange will do a quick deposit. Some make their home resort res's after they pay their annual MF. So, if you are trying to get a last minute match, you'll probably be looking at last-minute cancellations and "dumps" from the resorts of left over inventory.

For higher demand places like Sedona, Carmel, Hyatt Northstar ,etc. I put in a request way in advance using a quality (high TDI deposit) and put in a somewhat wide request. I also augment that by doing daily manual searches while I enjoy my first cup of coffee. Occasionally I get a relatively quick match (a month or two) but sometimes resorts don't seem to release the inventory earlier than 4 to 6 months in advance. But by putting in a request, I have essentially established my place in the queue. At least if there are two identical deposits/requests, I'll be matched more quickly than someone who is behind me in the queue

Trying to do a hand full of back-to-back exchanges can be done, but takes some extra perseverance. Trying to do four b2b exchanges is going to be challenging.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

The quality timeshares were booked out a year or more in advance. What you see as last-minute stuff is the last of the leftovers. If you don't care where you stay, then you may find "something" to book. If you want a specific resort or season, you MUST plan ahead.

It isn't that their availability has gone away, it's all about the timing. But yes - some owners do rent theirs out, to recover their maintenance fees, and perhaps earn a little more. There are a number of exchange companies, so the deposit you are looking for may have been deposited to a different company. By the time someone opts to deposit to an exchange company, it's because they don't want to hassle with doing something else.

You need to understand how exchanging works. Go with me here: In a perfect world, someone deposits their time to your exchange company, and that time becomes available for someone else (you) to book. You select that deposit, pay your fees, and you take your vacation. But exchange companies have Ongoing Searches available, where a member can request in advance an exchange to a certain resort or whatever - when one becomes available. So IF that first person deposits the week or whatever that is exactly what YOU want, and there are NO ONGOING SEARCHES on file against it, then that time becomes something you might see as being available, and you can book it as mentioned previously. But if there is an Ongoing Search, it snags that deposit before it ever makes it to the public inventory. You'd never see it.

If it does happen to make it to the public inventory, you must be the first one to see it and grab it right that second, before one of the tens of thousands of other members who are also online and searching when you are snags it before you see it. So it's a very, very unpredictable, crapshoot situation. You simply cannot count on it ever being available. Caveat emptor.

The latest mantra of timesharing is to "own where you want to vacation." Owning in a hotel or mini system that offers internal booking options to the locations you want to book will go a long way toward getting you into what you want. Those tend to cost more, particularly to get to that 16 weeks a year goal you have. Even booking those last minute discounted times someplace will cost you investment money to have enough credits, points, or weeks available to book or exchange. You need to factor in the overhead to support such a plan, and how much you'd have to pay to make those exchanges and such.

I'd suggest you try renting timeshares from existing owners that will take you where you want to go, and try it out. You may learn insider secrets that will convince you to either opt-in fully, or go a different way. Another option that has been mentioned would be to try a multi-week vacation rental, rather than a timeshare. A lot of people with vacation homes like to rent them out when the owners aren't staying there.

Dave

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
This very well could be the case for us in the longer term but gonna give it a little time. What are your main resources for renting? When you rent, like on TUG, do you just pay the posted price or are there multiple other expenses (guest fee, transfer fee, etc). Thanks for your reply :)
So far, I've rented exclusively from Interval. I kept my Interval account after divesting my ownerships so I could still use it for Getaways, which in my case has worked out pretty well. In fact, I just renewed it for Platinum level.

I think @CPNY has the right idea for a rental strategy. If you choose not to take on the parents' timeshare, you could buy one timeshare (resale, of course) somewhere you wouldn't mind paying MFs for and returning to annually, just to get the Interval account. Choose one that would be relatively easy to sell again later while keeping the account. Alternative rental sites are TUG and RedWeek, but the prices seem better (at least for the ones I look for) on Interval.

Last edited:

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Amen - thanks for the reinforcement. At this point, can't see us owning unless we find the place we want to frequent every year.... and get it resale LOL. Thanks for responding. :)
^^^ This should be your strategy! I recall seeing a great deal on a T/S in Sedona, but I already have one.

Two things about your original post: One, "assume we will be seeking out different places 75% of the time" that's the opposite philosophy of T/S ownership. And, it leads to your second concern, the expense. It's the RCI membership and exchange fees, etc. that add to the expense.

On the other hand, if you can find a bargain in a location where you'd like to return every year, you could tack on add'l reservations nearby with AirBnB reservations, etc. Maybe consider that as your long-term goal? It could provide you with the savings and comfort of T/S ownership and flexibility to explore other places.

I'm happy to return to the same location and it has truly been a bargain for me. My maintenance fees are a fraction of what a week's lodging would cost me. I use my T/S and do not exchange. No extra fees.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, you have been given some great suggestions by some Tuggers. Are you a "Good Candidate to own a timeshare"?

Some key factors IMHO
Purchased from a major developer with quality resorts; that maintain their timeshare resorts.
Location.
Price.

The Final Answer:
That is a question, you now must answer. The final decision is in your hands.
Good Luck.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Amen - thanks for the reinforcement. At this point, can't see us owning unless we find the place we want to frequent every year.... and get it resale LOL. Thanks for responding. :)
I don’t always subscribe to the “own where you want to go” mantra. Yes, it works if you want a specific week in an oceanfront room in Hawaii. However, I’ve purchased resorts I had zero intention of going to just for the points that came with the ownership on resale. I did very well with the point usage with my VA ownership in RCI points. As a matter of fact, the RCI points gave me one of my very best vacations. A tradewinds catamaran in Bora Bora.

My current ownerships are in resorts that I’d never use my week at. My Orlando weeks are used as traders via interval or the associated star options within the VSN to visit other vistana resorts. When I do go back to Orlando, I buy extra getaways via interval and it’s usually less than the MF associated with the week. I’ve booked 2 bedrooms at vistana villages anywhere from 350-700 bucks. Those maint fees would be 1400 minimum. The interval getaways offer much better inventory than RCI IMO. Plus if you can pick up and go within a day or two, you can get some really nice Marriott resorts via getaways. I’ve seen Marriott Aruba weeks pop up in getaways within a day or two of travel.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ok, so I used a points-based (Wyndham) to book the dates that worked for my family as soon as I could- no exchange so it was just under 10 months in advance..that same contract gives us access to RCI and we have used 3 last calls (less than 30 days out no trade required cash stays) beyond what we deposited and or used...
If you're ok with functional rooms with maybe not the most up-to-date color schemes these are great...

I have a combination of points and weeks. almost all resale and mostly for minimal layouts.

Your parents have 2 weeks and if they are owners of Vacation Village for both weeks depending on which resorts and when you have options to join BOTH exchange companies and if you can I would highly recommend it...beyond deposits you will have access to both companies last-minute inventory..we have used it for just outside Chicago 2x, Oceanside California, and Orlando...

I know you mentioned that your parents may have the bottom of the timeshare ladder but honestly, I have had some amazingly good trades thanks to the sightings board here on tug- if you haven't joined do so- the access to that sightings board is incredibly helpful...they post great last minute trades available, hard to find trades and even bonus/accommodations certificates...seriously we are very pleased with the trades we have made considering...

Hang around and tug for a while getting familiar with the sightings board - and play, if they will allow it, with your parent's getting to see what it all looks like...