• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Almost bought a week at Hacienda Encantada....

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Did the tour today. We are staying on a II getaway. $200 spa incentive.

Offer was $20k for 2BR every other year PLUS two weeks every year PLUS 4 weeks in Beyond Experience in Concierge. We agreed to purchase. Seemed great. However.... none of that was in the contract-except our every other year they were "buying back" for the first 10 years.

They countered that everything else was covered on other applications and paperwork. "NFW" I said. "You said everything would be in the contract... ... the sales guy was pissed. They have to process refund for deposit now. The whole process got my radar up and I told my wife we had to walk. She agreed. I am so glad we did.

We LOVE the resort and will continue to exchange-not buy.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Mexico is very easy to exchange into so I would never buy in Mexico period. We have exchanged into many resorts in Cancun, Riviera Maya, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, and Mazatlan. All our exchanges were during prime time and we never had a problem getting the exchange we wanted and we request specific resorts.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Mexico is very easy to exchange into so I would never buy in Mexico period. We have exchanged into many resorts in Cancun, Riviera Maya, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, and Mazatlan. All our exchanges were during prime time and we never had a problem getting the exchange we wanted and we request specific resorts.

Thats been our experience as well. It was the extra weeks and access to other resorts that garnered our interest. However, when it wasn't in the contract we walked.

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter bought at Hacienda Encantata on the secondary market. She lives the resort and what she paid for it.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
My daughter bought at Hacienda Encantata on the secondary market. She lives the resort and what she paid for it.

I think that's the smart way to go. Its the additional promises that one is paying for that are not in the contract that ultimately had us running.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the "trade in your old timeshare" tactic seems to be in full swing at mexican resorts these days.

must be quite successful if its caught on this quickly!

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to us last December. Only we left the property and had to go back the next day with recission paperwork in hand. Of course this meant renting a car and wasting a days vacation fussing and producing paperwork. Its so funny I know better, as a own a lot of timeshare and have bought all but my first through retail. The developers always find a new way to put lipstick on a pig and I must thing the pig is beautiful lol. The important thing is you cancelled. You can rent a lot of great resorts for 20 grand.
Great Job

stodgman

Reaction score
Hacienda Encantada - We Backed Out

We signed an agreement on 10/24/16 because, if true, the deal was too good to pass up. It was based on them using International Travel Exchange to buy my existing timeshare for more than the purchase price of HE unit. THIS IS KEY because the price they were giving me was not in the contract so not at all guaranteed.
Later that day we read a thread here (since removed) that detailed the sad story of someone who had used this resale methodology at HE and was left holding the bag. Well, I am sorry for them but THANK YOU for saving our fanny. WATCH OUT FOR TRADE IN PROMISES! PUT IT IN THE MAIN CONTRACT OR RUN AWAY!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Later that day we read a thread here (since removed) that detailed the sad story of someone who had used this resale methodology at HE and was left holding the bag. Well, I am sorry for them but THANK YOU for saving our fanny. WATCH OUT FOR TRADE IN PROMISES! PUT IT IN THE MAIN CONTRACT OR RUN AWAY!
I'm so glad you saw that thread before it was removed. Sometimes Mexican timeshare companies who have cheated buyers with shady promises like you encountered make removal of negative online posts about them a requirement for those buyers to get their money back or get out of the deal.

If the original posters ask that their posts be removed for that reason, we'll do so.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
the "trade in your old timeshare" tactic seems to be in full swing at mexican resorts these days.

must be quite successful if its caught on this quickly!

They were doing this quite some time ago. We got our MX t/s ~14 years ago from the old Seattle-based Holiday T/S resales. As I understood it at the time (and from previous owners), that's at least in part where Holiday got their inventory.