• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Allegiant Airlines to Hawaii

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The price I eventually saw was $533 per person, which WAS a bit less than Hawaiian Airlines for comparable dates, but the schedule on Hawaiian was better. The difference in ticket price would likely be about the same cost as paying for an extra night spent in Hawaii.
Did that $533 price include baggage check fee or carry-on fee?

Just looking at their web site, and found this:
If booked in advance, the baggage fee for the first and second checked bag is up to $34.99 per bag, per segment, with the specific amount depending on your departure and arrival airports. A segment consists of one takeoff and one landing.
So if I understand this correctly, if I fly Allegiant from here in Colorado to Hawaii, making a connection through Las Vegas, I would pay $70 per checked bag, each way, for each bag. Since they charge the same for carry-on, it doesn't mater if it is checked or not.

Botom line, if I had two bags for a trip to Hawaii, I would have to pay an additional $280 just to get my bags there and back. I think that alone would put Allegiant out of the running, not to mention all of the other issues mentioned here w/ Allegiant.

Kurt

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

So if I understand this correctly, if I fly Allegiant from here in Colorado to Hawaii, making a connection through Las Vegas, I would pay $70 per checked bag, each way, for each bag. Since they charge the same for carry-on, it doesn't mater if it is checked or not.

Botom line, if I had two bags for a trip to Hawaii, I would have to pay an additional $280 just to get my bags there and back. I think that alone would put Allegiant out of the running, not to mention all of the other issues mentioned here w/ Allegiant.

Kurt

I've never known Allegiant to fly to destinations using the hub and spoke system of connections. I've only known them to fly direct. I would assume (read could be wrong) that you'd have to fly to one of the destinations that depart for Hawaii (most likely Vegas), get off the plane, pick up your checked luggage and check in for you next flight.

Keep in mind that Allegiant is run as a charter airline. Making connections might not be something charter airlines can do. I've never really looked into it but I've also never seen Allegiant offer connecting service to any destination from our home airport.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Kurt

Kurt, I didn't get that far down into things, but it would seem that you're correct. I stopped at the basic fare for the tickets, since the other charges are variable, depending on whether you want a reserved seat in advance, whether you buy your ticket online or from an airport agent, and such. Since other carriers also charge for bags, I figured that would only add onto the basic fare from most anyone.

Either way, I'm still thinking Allegiant may be great for hops between cities in the Continental US, but flying them for long distances over water just doesn't appeal to me.

And then there's the whole issue about Frequent Flyer miles. I earn them with both Hawaiian and Alaska, and a roundtrip to Hawaii adds a fair amount of miles to things. I don't know if Allegiant offers them for any program.

Dave

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
Keep in mind that Allegiant is run as a charter airline. Making connections might not be something charter airlines can do. ...
Keeping that in mind ... If anything goes wrong ... it is a near certainty that they won't put you on another flight.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
fyi, Hawaiian Airlines now has airbus in its fleet.

And miss out on the luxurious MD83's?:hysterical:

We flew Allegiant last week and i have to say that the MD83 is the loudest plane I have ever been on and isn't far off the Russian made Illusian's that could deafen you on take off! First time on Allegiant and I did not know this, but I guess everyone else did, the back half if the plane was empty!

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
fyi, Hawaiian Airlines now has airbus in its fleet.
Yep... Should have bought Dreamliners :bawl:
And that will be a problem in the future for us :mad:
Not to start an aircraft battle, but We have a motto: "Boeing or we're not going"
or this one: "Boeings rules and Airbuss druel!" :ignore:
We don't fly Airbus unless we absolutely have to (twice)!
The system failure accident list is loooooong...:eek:

Buy American! :wall:
What are they thinking at Hawaiian :shrug:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Keeping that in mind ... If anything goes wrong ... it is a near certainty that they won't put you on another flight.

It's not a near certainty, it's certain. Allegiant does NOT reaccomadate passengers on other airlines. If they don't fly for any reason, you don't fly. You're stuck. They fly from our home airport to Vegas and a few other destinations. I have co-workers who will never fly them again because they learned this lesson the hard way.

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it really that bad?

Is it really that bad? I had never heard from Allegiant Air before but we are considering to fly with them from Las Vegas to Honolulu. They have good prices but also a better time schedule than Hawaiian Air. But I wouldn't like it if they don't bring me there! Anyone having experiences and advice? I know that they will only begin this route this month and we will be going later this year but I am in doubt what to do. Thanks !

Last edited:

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is it really that bad? I had never heard from Allegiant Air before but we are considering to fly with them from Las Vegas to Honolulu.
Probably not any different that Leisure Air or SunTrips were...
We flew both. We didn't get stuck at home for a day waiting to leave... but others did...

That said... One time, on Leisure Air, coming back from Maui, they had only one bathroom working for EVERYONE to use ... and when we landed, they had forgotten to depressurize the aircraft and couldn't open the doors:eek:
Shortly thereafter ... they were shut down for maintenance discrepancies.

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably not any different that Leisure Air or SunTrips were...
We flew both. We didn't get stuck at home for a day waiting to leave... but others did...

That said... One time, on Leisure Air, coming back from Maui, they had only one bathroom working for EVERYONE to use ... and when we landed, they had forgotten to depressurize the aircraft and couldn't open the doors:eek:
Shortly thereafter ... they were shut down for maintenance discrepancies.

I guess my problem is that I am not familiar with these either! In Europe we do have several low cost carriers and price cutters with all the pro's and cons but I never booked with an American low cost carrier.

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Allegiant is fine

We have flown Allegiant on several occasions. We have never had any problems with them In fact, all our departures have been prompt and on time.

They do charge for baggage, advance seat assignments, and I hear they will now be charging for carry on? But, their charges end up being less than most of the major airlines, and their prices start lower. And, if I were flying to Hawaii, I wouldn't mind paying for the convenience of getting a good seat. I don't remember about drinks/food. They may have charged for that - but again, so do most carriers and their prices start lower. They also have different goodies you can buy from different locations - Disney towels, bags, Kookie pens (they are always fun for collecting), etc. Flight attendants were always nice.

That being said, they do have fewer flights on most routes. However, I have been on major carriers that had maintenance issues and could not get you on their flights for days because they were booked - so having more flights hasn't always helped so much. Like many airlines, lines at check in can be long.

Soccer Canada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Glacier Canyon Points
Hyatt Vacation Club (Pending Transfer)
Sort of a Jekyll/Hyde Situation

We use Allegiant mostly out of Great Falls going to Las Vegas and Phoeniz-Mesa. But we have used them out of Orlando (when they were in MCO, not Sanford) to got to the Carolina's.. Sometimes they are REALLY good, everything on time, no issues, smooth all the way.. And a couple times we have had Nightmarish type flights, delays, pilots late, crew late, etc etc..

All and all though they have gotten us to where we were going safely and on the same day (give or take 3 or 4 hours).. Thats more then I can say for United or Delta, who in both cases I have sat in either Salt Lake or Denver overnight because of a cancellation, or a late connection or general disorganization..

For us living in Canada about an hour north of the Montana Border, Allegiant has given us the "weekend" option of going to Vegas (out of Great Falls, MT or Kalispell, MT), which we have partaken in a couple times. And for those sort of flights we only bring what we can carry on, we generally stay at a Timeshare for the weekend and have Laundry facilities if needed.

Also to comment on the MD83 thing, Im pretty sure they are not flying those to Hawaii, I beleive they have leased a few 757's for that route, Im pretty sure the MD83 doesnt have the Range to make it from the West Coast to Vegas, I could be wrong..

Robb

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Im pretty sure the MD83 doesnt have the Range to make it from the West Coast to Vegas, I could be wrong..
They fly from Bellingham, WA, to Las Vegas in the MD83.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
No guarantees on aircraft type on any airline. Recently booked San Francisco to Kona on United. Happy to be on a 767 because of the 2-3-2 configuration. Week after booking United switched plane to 757.
Have flown Allegiant on short hops and had no concerns.

The 767 to 757 change has happened to us as well, once on Delta, once on United. We prefer the 767s for sure, dislike 757s.

Regarding the OP, I remember a few years ago flying ATA, the huge discounter back then. The next year I went to book them again, and was one click away from booking the flights, held up for some reason, and a bit later they went belly-up. Not sure how everything came out for refunds.

Marty

hapstersmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am from HI, and will be traveling to the mainland in July. We are returning to HI on Allegiant from Vegas on July 18th.

Ya, they charge for *everything.* If you elect not to get a seat assignment by paying up front, they will give you one at the last minute, but you have no say at all, and your party may not be together.

However, at $179, even without the reclining seats, it gave me more spending $ for my 6 year overdue vacation to see my family on the mainland and WDW before my now 13 yo will be too old to want to vacay with the parents.

We also booked a Nov. flight from HNL to LAS for $318 for my Inlaws and just us without our son.

I will report back here on our flights after we "ride."

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks !

Thanks for all these valuable reactions! Hapstersmom, thanks! I really appreciate it if you would let me know how your flight was in July. How wonderful to return to Hawaii. Enjoy your stay!

I am from HI, and will be traveling to the
mainland in July. We are returning to HI on Allegiant from Vegas on July 18th.

Ya, they charge for *everything.* If you elect not to get a seat assignment by paying up front, they will give you one at the last minute, but you have no say at all, and your party may not be together.

However, at $179, even without the reclining seats, it gave me more spending $ for my 6 year overdue vacation to see my family on the mainland and WDW before my now 13 yo will be too old to want to vacay with the parents.

We also booked a Nov. flight from HNL to LAS for $318 for my Inlaws and just us without our son.

I will report back here on our flights after we "ride."

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but think Allegiant Airline was in the news about starting one flight out Stockton airport to Hawaii in Nov 2012.
We fly out of Sacramento and its great even with a 1:15 drive each way.
When we lived in the Half Moon Bay area we had to go out of San Francisco so the Sac airport is great. Last year Allegiant started couple flights to Vegas from Stockton but don't know if they still do it or not now. Even being closer for us I would not fly out of Stockton unless we could go without leaving our car. Good bet it would be gone or strip/damaged when you come home!:crash:

PHILL12 :ponder:

hapstersmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but think Allegiant Airline was in the news about starting one flight out Stockton airport to Hawaii in Nov 2012.
We fly out of Sacramento and its great even with a 1:15 drive each way.
When we lived in the Half Moon Bay area we had to go out of San Francisco so the Sac airport is great. Last year Allegiant started couple flights to Vegas from Stockton but don't know if they still do it or not now. Even being closer for us I would not fly out of Stockton unless we could go without leaving our car. Good bet it would be gone or strip/damaged when you come home!:crash:

PHILL12 :ponder:

Allegiant has been known to start and remove flights. One place it did so was in Worcester, MA. It is unclear how they will fare in HI. This is the first time they are going up against a huge carrier, in this case, Hawaiian, with 17 flights per week between Vegas and HNL. But yes, they are also starting flights from smaller CA cities later this year, and into Maui, as well. It remains to be seen what will happen. The last carrier to cause a fare war in HI bankrupted the oldest and most loved airline, Aloha, and almost put Hawaiian out of business as well. Now, that carrier is almost out of business here.

I sure hope they stay flying for my flight in July!

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Im pretty sure the MD83 doesnt have the Range to make it from the West Coast to Vegas, I could be wrong..
Robb

Even if they had the range the aren't certified for over water flight.