• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

All Inclusive Timeshare, an Oxymoron?

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Elsewhere, someone posted:

I was told by DVC Member Services that the reason (I am a Disney Vacation Club member) for the switch to RCI was for the "all inclusive resorts" and some of the high end fractionals and just more resorts to choose from at various locations.

Does that mean that RCI has more or less all inclusive resorts than II?

Regardless, I don't feel that all inclusive resorts fit with my timesharing philosophy. Wherein, I want more room including a kitchen, so don't have to get dressed until after I've had breakfast/coffee. And, maybe save some money by cooking some other meals too.

The all inclusive exchanges all seem like bait and switch to me. You get what appears to be a great exchange, or cheap II Getaway, then you read the fine print where you have to pay upwards of $80-150 per person per day (i.e. $1100-2100 for a couple for a week) for the all inclusive fee.

Now, you might say that you would spend that amount of money for restaurants and activities anyway, so it is a good deal. But that's only true if you are a non-adventurous eater and are willing to stay on property for a whole week. We would go stir crazy. We prefer to rent a car and find local haunts.

Also, the food at all inclusives is rarely gourmet, usually buffet, fried, starchy, i.e. cheap and unhealthy.

Plus, most places charge you extra for excursions off property anyway.

How do you feel about AI timeshares?

Maybe we could make this a poll? Options could be:

1) I love AI TS! I'm sure that the higher the charge, the better the quality.
2) AI actually saves me money, you wouldn't believe how much my kids eat!
3) It's OK if a reasonable fee, about what we'd spend for food and a couple activities anyway.
4) If there are no other options for where I want to go, I'll take an AI, begrudgingly.
5) I avoid AI whenever possible. I like my independence. We probably spend the same amount on restaurants and activities, but don't want to be tied to the resort.
6) I avoid AI at all costs, even if it means going elsewhere. We prefer to cook most of our own meals for personal (dietary, picky kids) or monetary reasons.​

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe we could make this a poll? Options could be:

1) I love AI TS! I'm sure that the higher the charge, the better the quality.
2) AI actually saves me money, you wouldn't believe how much my kids eat!
3) It's OK if a reasonable fee, about what we'd spend for food and a couple activities anyway.
4) If there are no other options for where I want to go, I'll take an AI, begrudgingly.
5) I avoid AI whenever possible. I like my independence. We probably spend the same amount on restaurants and activities, but don't want to be tied to the resort.
6) I avoid AI at all costs, even if it means going elsewhere. We prefer to cook most of our own meals for personal (dietary, picky kids) or monetary reasons.​

I would give this a (5)

We feel that AI is appropriate on cruise ships where there simply isn't any other place to eat and the cruise line can't realistically charge ala carte for activities on board other than spa/personal services. Even they generally have specialty restaurants where folks can exercise some 'freedom'.

So far we've managed to avoid AI TS resorts and will continue to do so. We feel that the AI aspect comes from two thoughts on the part of the resort,
(1) AI is clearly a profit center. They know that there are a myriad of ways to trim their costs- economies of scale, short pouring drinks, buffets, low paid staff, add mandatory tipping to the already inflated AI charge.
(2) If their 'guests' are essentially captive (economically if not factually), the resort doesn't have to compete with the local attractions.

Anyhoo, on AI, include me out.

Jim Ricks

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If we want to do an AI, we will book a last minute deal, which includes airfare. I do not feel that using a week, paying the AI supplementary fee, and then having to pay for airfare is a sound idea. JMHO

Dori

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
The closest choice for me would be #1 - I have gone to the Palace Resorts, and they have been fantastic. Great food (and drinks), wonderful service, great activities, included tours and excursions...

I don't really know about the more you pay the better the resort.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
5 for me

Cheers

patty5ia

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
All-inclusives are not all the same. The price you pay does often equate the food and service and extras you receive.

I certainly wouldn't want all my vacations to be A-I. But part of a long vacation at an A-I is wonderful. It's just another choice, if you are willing to pay. You aren't a prisoner of the resort at Palace Resorts, since your AI includes 2 or 3 wonderful tours, great food at several different a la carte restaurants, great wine selections included, as well as pedicures, manicures, and massages. A couple years ago we spent a week in a condo on the beach in the romantic zone of Puerto Vallarta, took some tours, and ate in many of the fine restaurants. The next week we spent at Vallarta Palace. The price for each week was approximately the same.

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend and what you want to do. Many people love the all-inclusive concept. It is an easy way to have a wonderful vacation.

Last edited:

cancun dish

TUG Member
Reaction score
all inclusive

I would have never thought I would be converted to being someone who likes all-inclusive but, I stayed at Bluebay Esmeralda last June and Hotel Cancun Palace this past November and I must say that the quality of the rooms was excellent. They were only hotel rooms but, outstanding quality and the quality of the pools, restaurants, depth of restaurants and service was amazing.

Depending on the price the all-inclusives can be a great value.

Sol Melia has some outstanding destinations in the Dominican republic which I would consider to provide great value.

John