• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Airport lounges

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amex card

"May just forget about it and use the restaurants. The only benefit of the card is that we can get an additional $200 airline travel credit, and I can take it as a business expense which brings the break even point down."

Although the uses of the card vary, I think you better take a second look.

1. If you apply for the card now, you will get $200 credit this year AND next year. So you get $400 back.

2. You will get priority pass which admits additional guests for free.

3. You get towing for your car up to 10 miles. So I don't do AAA any more.

4. You get $100 global entry credit.

5. You get access to Delta lounges when flying Delta and Centurian lounges when in those cities. Miami is the newest Centurian lounge.

6. You get 25k Membership Rewards which is enough for a free ticket.

7. In all you get over 40 benefits and yes you can call it a business expense.

This should be more than enough reasons to get the card.

Last edited:

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
"May just forget about it and use the restaurants. The only benefit of the card is that we can get an additional $200 airline travel credit, and I can take it as a business expense which brings the break even point down."

Although the uses of the card vary, I think you better take a second look.

1. If you apply for the card now, you will get $200 credit this year AND next year. So you get $400 back.

2. You will get priority pass which admits additional guests for free.

3. You get towing for your car up to 10 miles. So I don't do AAA any more.

4. You get $100 global entry credit.

5. You get access to Delta lounges when flying Delta and Centurian lounges when in those cities. Miami is the newest Centurian lounge.

6. You get 25k Membership Rewards which is enough for a free ticket.

7. In all you get over 40 benefits and yes you can call it a business expense.

This should be more than enough reasons to get the card.

What level of Priority pass do you get? Standard, Standard Plus or Prestige?

Last edited:

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
pp

i looked up the business platinum card (whose benefits are diferent from the personal plat) and found that you get a Select Priority Pass. That only allows free entry for the holder -guests are $27. I have had both business and personal and the version I now have allows free entry for guests.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
My family of 4 and I (with children under 12) travel often, so then which is going to be the cheapest to get all 4 of us in without having to pay guest fees? Having done further research, it looks to be the United Club?

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
aa

The citi prestige card offers the same benefit as the United Club or you can just join one of the lounges. The citi prestige card will get you into Admirals clubs. It really depends on what airline you fly most. If you are flying Delta, you won't get into either of them unless you have an actual membership as opposed to a CC benefit.

Also it should be mentioned that if you have status you get into overseas lounges or if you are flying busness class or above you will also. I personally have free passes to AA and UA when my other methods won't work.

Last edited:

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Another benefit of lounge membership--at least with United--is the great rebooking service during irregular opps, especially if there's a long line at the gate. A couple of times the reservation agents in the lounges were the only reasons I got to where I was going. It only takes once to make the membership fee worth it.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another benefit of lounge membership--at least with United--is the great rebooking service during irregular opps, especially if there's a long line at the gate. A couple of times the reservation agents in the lounges were the only reasons I got to where I was going. It only takes once to make the membership fee worth it.

I live in a United Hub city and fly United occasionally. The big factors for me would be able to get the whole family of 4 in with minimal out of pocket cost.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
When flying for business I had a company-paid Lounge Access card, but at the time I was a frequent flyer. So I agree with some others, it may not seem worth it to pay for it now.

I do like getting out of the noise and bustle with a long layover, and as already mentioned, the seats are more comfy, toilets cleaner, and the desk agents are a fantastic benefit with ticket changes, upgrades, etc. Food is so-so snacks really, and you can have free drinks most of the time.

However, wow, some of the shine has dulled over the years as I can't believe how packed they are nowadays. Last time in Chicago's UA Lounge, DH and I had a hard time finding two seats next to each other.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know you can use "Star Alliance" lounges but can you use the lounges of airlines of Star Alliance members ie: Avianca???
Yes, you can if you are flying on a Star Alliance flight that day -- business class level lounges only.

So if you are a paid member of the United Club, you can use say the Air Canada business class lounge. You would not be able to use the first class lounge.

I previously was a United Club paid member, so I have done this successfully in the past.

-ryan

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can if you are flying on a Star Alliance flight that day -- business class level lounges only.

So if you are a paid member of the United Club, you can use say the Air Canada business class lounge. You would not be able to use the first class lounge.

I previously was a United Club paid member, so I have done this successfully in the past.

-ryan
I was paid (via Chase card) this year. Still denied access to GRU *A lounge. Went to the OW one next door flying AA Business.

uop1497

Reaction score
I am also looking for a good credit card to give us a good lounge access . You mention about Centurion lounge . May I ask, which credit card will give member and guest free access to this kind of lounge . And how do you find out which airport has the centurion lounge

In addition, Does anyone know the location of lounge (United airline) in Narita airport . We will fly to Asia this coming December and will be in Narita airport over 10 hrs to wait for our connection fly back to US . I like to find out how is the United 's lounge there and where it is located . If you have been at United's lounge at this airport , please share your experience.
Thank you

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
In addition, Does anyone know the location of lounge (United airline) in Narita airport . We will fly to Asia this coming December and will be in Narita airport over 10 hrs to wait for our connection fly back to US . I like to find out how is the United 's lounge there and where it is located . If you have been at United's lounge at this airport , please share your experience.
Thank you

You should be able to find this out on the Narita airport website.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was paid (via Chase card) this year. Still denied access to GRU *A lounge. Went to the OW one next door flying AA Business.
AA is not a Star Alliance carrier. Per my post, I stated that one is allowed to use any Star Alliance lounge with United Club membership IF flying a Star Alliance flight.

-ryan

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am also looking for a good credit card to give us a good lounge access . You mention about Centurion lounge . May I ask, which credit card will give member and guest free access to this kind of lounge . And how do you find out which airport has the centurion lounge

Thank you
I was there last year. It was fine -- on par with United overseas lounges, but nothing memorable.

The ANA lounge was much better -- however it is farther from the UA gate. Food was far better and the lounge was nicer in general.

Centurion lounges are an AMEX offering. You need to have a specific type of Platinum Amex card or buy membership. Day passes are available -- the one at SFO is nice, but I would only buy membership if my airport had a Centurion lounge and it was superior to my carrier's offering. They are not in very many places.

-ryan

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
AA is not a Star Alliance carrier. Per my post, I stated that one is allowed to use any Star Alliance lounge with United Club membership IF flying a Star Alliance flight.

-ryan
Where does it say that in the rules. I know rules change but there was a time pre 9/11 you could rock up at the airport in the US clear securely and go in there.

Then you needed a no flight boarding pas.

Anyways it was my understanding, but prove me wrong. That if I was in the terminal with the UA club and I flash my club membership card then I can enter. No metal requirements.

uop1497

Reaction score
Ryan,

I would like to ask a question out of this subject .

I bought my air ticket with United , but fly with ANA. I was told by United Air representative, I can use my united club passes at United club in Narita airport . I am not sure if United club pass can be use for ANA lounge.

I plan to use United passes on this coming trip and hope I can take a shower after an red eye flight. I have never been in any of the lounge .

Since you have been at Narita airport, do you know where is the area listed in term " controlled passport " . I was told there is a shower (with fee), but I do not know if I must go thru immigration clearance in order to get to the shower service area. Then ( after the shower) I must get back thru immigration and security again to get back into transit area . And whether United club is inside the transit area . If you do know, please share. Thank you

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ryan,

I would like to ask a question out of this subject .

I bought my air ticket with United , but fly with ANA. I was told by United Air representative, I can use my united club passes at United club in Narita airport . I am not sure if United club pass can be use for ANA lounge.

I plan to use United passes on this coming trip and hope I can take a shower after an red eye flight. I have never been in any of the lounge .

Since you have been at Narita airport, do you know where is the area listed in term " controlled passport " . I was told there is a shower (with fee), but I do not know if I must go thru immigration clearance in order to get to the shower service area. Then ( after the shower) I must get back thru immigration and security again to get back into transit area . And whether United club is inside the transit area . If you do know, please share. Thank you
1. I assume you mean united club passes that are similar to the ones that come with the Chase Explorer card. These can only be used at United Club locations -- it will not be honored at any other lounge. Note also that there are restrictions (i.e. will not allow you to access first class lounges, arrivals lounges, etc.)

2. I know the NRT United Club I visited was airside. So if you are flying from the US, after you get past border control and/or security, the club is in the terminal. I did not shower there, but at other international locations, I have never been charged to use the shower at any * Alliance club including UA.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where does it say that in the rules. I know rules change but there was a time pre 9/11 you could rock up at the airport in the US clear securely and go in there.

Then you needed a no flight boarding pas.

Anyways it was my understanding, but prove me wrong. That if I was in the terminal with the UA club and I flash my club membership card then I can enter. No metal requirements.
To enter a Star Alliance Club that is NOT A UNITED CLUB using a United Club membership as your qualifying membership, the following rule applies:

Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges2.

Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers include: United Club, Air Canada Maple Leaf Club - Worldwide
Customer must present a valid eligible paid lounge membership card which displays the Star Alliance Lounge Logo
Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
Customer is entitled to one guest

2 Except in Singapore where the Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Gold Lounge is available

I have only been a Star Alliance Gold for a couple of years now, so I can't say what the policy was prior. But, I am also Lifetime AA Plat, and this has always been the case for oneworld lounges, so I'd be surprised if this was changed recently for Star Alliance.

Reference is here:
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benefits/status-benefits/lounge-access-policy/

uop1497

Reaction score
Ryan & ALL

Have you ever a member of of Admirals Club of Citi AA . What is your opinion about Admirals clubs. If so, can you please your experience using Admirals club at over sea airport (if any ). The fee is $450/year and I am not sure the money will justify the benefit for us. Do you think if it is worthy to join . Thanks.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
I've never been in one of these lounges myself so out of ignorance, I ask, What is the big deal with these lounges? They cost a fair amount of money. What are the perks or benefits of lounging in these between connecting flights? If one does a "pay as you go" thing rather than having a membership, are the perks worth it?

I know people's tastes and preferences vary but please enlighten me.

We have lounge access via our British Airways executive club and the BA lounges in the UK, particularly at Heathrow and Gatwick are well worth the perk. Complimentary food (although the quality has gone down recently) and drinks including some very good wine, spacious and comfortable with free wi-fi and computers for those who don't come equipped, kids play area, complimentary newspapers and magazines and just a nice place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the airport.

The Virgin Upper Class lounge is even better, complimentary dining with waiter service and full bar, complimentary hairdresser and various beauty treatments, pool table, games for the kids, sauna and whirlpool and so on.

If you're lucky enough to be flying First Class with BA then you have access to the Concorde Room which is another level of luxury!

The European lounges that I've had access to have been pretty poor in comparison with the worst being Rome, a truly awful lounge, so much so that we decided being in the main concourse was preferable.

The US however is really lagging behind in the lounge stakes. I have been routinely disappointed in all the lounges I have visited and if I had had to pay for their use I would be very unhappy as they're certainly not worth what people are being charged for entry.

As most of our travel is European or US based we haven't experienced any of the Middle Eastern or Asian lounges however I have heard very good things about them.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Narita

I have been to Narita in the ANA lounge, United Lounge and United first class lounge as well. The UA lounges are located near the UA gates while the ANA lounge is farther down near gate 33 i believe.

You can get in with a UA lounge pass, or with Star Gold status or with a UA club memberhip. The showers are very nice. They are located at the back of the lounge and there are about 20 little rooms. You will be required to surrender your boarding pass or passport to get access. The showers have their own toilet, shower, along with towel and some toiletries. As i recall they don't have a razor so have one in your carry on or ask at the shower desk. There is no charge for the shower once you get in the lounge. You can stay in your room pretty much as long as you want. It makes the trip to asia much easier! I believe the ANA lounge has showers too but I have never used them.

The lounges are all generally better than you get in the USA. That is why i said I am not sure the USA lounges are worth it- except Centurian lounges. If you get lounge access through a credit card the auxillary benefits make membership worth it but i would not pay $450 for lounge membership if I only traveled in the US. In the first class lounge you get many of the same amenities but you also get made to order food. So you literally go up put in your food order. The ANA lounge has better food. If you are a Star Gold you can go to both ANA and United.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
To enter a Star Alliance Club that is NOT A UNITED CLUB using a United Club membership as your qualifying membership, the following rule applies:

I have only been a Star Alliance Gold for a couple of years now, so I can't say what the policy was prior. But, I am also Lifetime AA Plat, and this has always been the case for oneworld lounges, so I'd be surprised if this was changed recently for Star Alliance.

Reference is here:
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benefits/status-benefits/lounge-access-policy/
Thanks.

This all makes sense. Of course as *A carriers consolidate lounges the change in admission policy, well change in section the policy that applies as United close their lounges and they are replaced with * ones reduces the accessibility.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
One final tip for Narita

If you wish to use the lounge and you have a short stay in Narita, then you need to get off the plane quickly because you have to stop at passport control. This can take a long time. So move it until you see the sign for passport control. There is also a premium passenger lane- look for it or you might spend all your time standing there and not in the lounge.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have lounge access via our British Airways executive club and the BA lounges in the UK, particularly at Heathrow and Gatwick are well worth the perk.

I guess I don't travel enough to make lounge access worth the cost or getting some sort of membership that gives you lounge access. Yeah, I see some here have listed a few perks, conveniences, and luxuries but for me personally, the costs just don't seem worth it if you have to pay as you go rather than own some sort of membership.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
I guess I don't travel enough to make lounge access worth the cost or getting some sort of membership that gives you lounge access. Yeah, I see some here have listed a few perks, conveniences, and luxuries but for me personally, the costs just don't seem worth it if you have to pay as you go rather than own some sort of membership.

We've maintained silver status with BA by flying one long haul business class with them and a few economy flights to Europe. We've even managed to maintain it into 2016 despite flying long haul with Virgin instead.

I'm not sure how the schemes work in the US but for us it makes sense. BA are often the most suitable airline for us in terms of route and flight times so we invariably fly with them. The upside of that is that we've reached the level where we can use the lounges without having business class tickets or even flying BA and we can each take a guest with us. It helps that the BA lounges in the UK are very good however if I was in the US (or elsewhere in Europe) I doubt I'd be that concerned about loyalty schemes that offer lounge access as they're often not worth it.