• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Airline Employee Seeking Advice

shaner0505

Reaction score
I'm new to the whole time share scene but am interested in purchasing a re-sale. Working for an airline my family (5 of us. kids are 5,4,2) and I can fly for very minimal cost (standby) and usually book 2 week long vacations/year (Warm destinations like Hawaii or Mexico) and maybe 2 or 3 smaller vacays (Vegas, NYC, AZ, etc) . We usually prefer to avoid the busyness of high season and have no issues going Mon-Thurs. Quite often our smaller trips are very last minute. Hoping to get some insight as to which TS would be the most flexible and best bang for our buck. Thanks in Advance :)

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I'm new to the whole time share scene but am interested in purchasing a re-sale. Working for an airline my family (5 of us. kids are 5,4,2) and I can fly for very minimal cost (standby) and usually book 2 week long vacations/year (Warm destinations like Hawaii or Mexico) and maybe 2 or 3 smaller vacays (Vegas, NYC, AZ, etc) . We usually prefer to avoid the busyness of high season and have no issues going Mon-Thurs. Quite often our smaller trips are very last minute. Hoping to get some insight as to which TS would be the most flexible and best bang for our buck. Thanks in Advance :)
I’m thinking RCI pts or Wyndham. Having that gives you access to Last Calls, which would be $200 for three days and $250 for five days.

shaner0505

Reaction score
I’m thinking RCI pts or Wyndham. Having that gives you access to Last Calls, which would be $200 for three days and $250 for five days.
That definitely sounds appealing!!! Would having something like HGVC that can be converted to RCI pts be worth it in this scenario or would the hassle or cost to do this make it better to just get RCI or Wyndham instead? I have been looking at HGVC which seem pricier but they do seem to have some very nice resorts.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Maybe vistana or Marriott. They have plenty of great warm weather destinations as long as you can book in advance. You can def get last minute smaller trips with star options or DC points. If you’re ok with mediocre resorts RCI points may work well for you as Grammarhero mentioned.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
That definitely sounds appealing!!! Would having something like HGVC that can be converted to RCI pts be worth it in this scenario or would the hassle or cost to do this make it better to just get RCI or Wyndham instead? I have been looking at HGVC which seem pricier but they do seem to have some very nice resorts.
Hilton, I believe, gives you access to RCI last falls. Hilton generally has four star units. I don’t know about their resale prices but it’s probably $3k or above.

I read too much into the “bang for your buck” comment. wyndham generally has three star units, except Bonnett Creek, which is their four star resort.

RCI generally has two or three star units. II generally has three or four star units. Maybe II might be a better exchange program. II also has getaway sales.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I prefer the II resorts to the RCI resorts. Although RCI points will allow for better last minute trips. II only offers exchanges or getaways for full weeks unless you’re a platinum member and then you can do short stay exchange which just splits your one week into a 3 day and 4 day stay.

look for a points based system

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
S

Sounds like you should be hanging out in TUG's Last Minute Rentals.

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
We have similar ability to take last minute midweek trips. I have had very little luck finding 3-5 night availability - in fact, the only <7 night trips we've booked have been points, at full price. That said, the 7 night last call prices are only a little bit higher, and are often still well worth it for us even if we only use three of the seven nights.

Unrelated : I've been trying to get in with an airline for quite some time now. I don't think it feels like I'm going to get that chance anytime in the near future =/

shaner0505

Reaction score
We have similar ability to take last minute midweek trips. I have had very little luck finding 3-5 night availability - in fact, the only <7 night trips we've booked have been points, at full price. That said, the 7 night last call prices are only a little bit higher, and are often still well worth it for us even if we only use three of the seven nights.

Unrelated : I've been trying to get in with an airline for quite some time now. I don't think it feels like I'm going to get that chance anytime in the near future =/
Thanks for the reply. Which TS company do you guys book with? Do you look to book last minute deals from here on TUG?

Yea our airline is doing everything it can to slash costs and prevent the inevitable layoffs. Fortunate to have lots of seniority in this scary time. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about working for an airline. I’m sure once this is all over it will be back to hiring and business as usual.

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
We have RCI points, they work pretty well for us. I haven't booked last minute TUG deals because one hasn't worked out quite right for us, but I definitely check and occasionally request a match.

I appreciate that! I'm not exactly a stranger to the industry, but I don't have a long enough list of employee references for the airline I'm determined to sign on with. It's all good, I expect to be very busy through all this. I'll get back in line when life gets back to normal.

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually prefer to avoid the busyness of high season and have no issues going Mon-Thurs.
As someone who bought their timeshare pre-kids, prefers avoiding high season and had some wonderful shoulder season vacations...I would advise you to think about whether you'll be tethered to a school schedule in the near future and, if so, purchase your timeshare based on those needs instead of today's needs. We owned our timeshare for about 12-years before our oldest started school. It took a while to adjust to all the planning required to trade our timeshare around the school schedule! Fortunately, we purchased in a location that doesn't have a low or shoulder season. Had we bought in an area with a true low/shoulder season with the intention of vacationing in the shoulder season, we would be SOL because the only time we can travel now is summer or fall break. Our school doesn't even have spring break! If you decide to buy something, buy something that gives you flexibility in the future!

shaner0505

Reaction score
As someone who bought their timeshare pre-kids, prefers avoiding high season and had some wonderful shoulder season vacations...I would advise you to think about whether you'll be tethered to a school schedule in the near future and, if so, purchase your timeshare based on those needs instead of today's needs. We owned our timeshare for about 12-years before our oldest started school. It took a while to adjust to all the planning required to trade our timeshare around the school schedule! Fortunately, we purchased in a location that doesn't have a low or shoulder season. Had we bought in an area with a true low/shoulder season with the intention of vacationing in the shoulder season, we would be SOL because the only time we can travel now is summer or fall break. Our school doesn't even have spring break! If you decide to buy something, buy something that gives you flexibility in the future!
Great advice! We have our oldest in kindergarten. I hate to think about being pinned down to summer and spring break like so many others but it could quite easily become our reality. . I guess this is the appeal of owning designated weeks at a specific resort each year?

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Several of the major timeshare companies offer "previews." That is, you can book a stay at a low cost. The "price" is that you have to agree to attend a sales presentation. If you know you wish to buy resale, you'd just have to have the gumption to say no to the sales people. That would allow you a try-out.

Of course, whether you'd want to travel, and whether you'd want to fly with your family, is an issue right now. So the preview idea might not be all that tempting right now.

During the last recession, prices for resale timeshare weeks fell, and they never did really recover much. So with the current or impending recession, I'd suspect that there may be good opportunities to purchase resale weeks.

You already have an idea of what locations interest you. That should allow you to restrict your search and focus on timeshare chains that have resorts in your areas of interest.

ronreid1954

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am retired United (coming up on a year now) and have been into time sharing for quite a while. I own various different timeshares, but in the situation you present I would strongly recommend WorldMark and buy resale. The overall cost per night is less than Wyndham and a little more expensive initially, but the flexibility is similar in both systems. You will need to be the type of traveler who can plan ahead for longer stays, but working for an airline you bid your vacations a year ahead, so that should not be an issue. A lot more availability for the Monday-Thursday type short notice trips, especially in shoulder or off season. Let me know if you want more info. You can go to the website Worldmark the Club to see the resort locations without needing to log in.

Last edited:

shaner0505

Reaction score
Hi,
I am retired United (coming up on a year now) and have been into time sharing for quite a while. I own various different timeshares, but in the situation you present I would strongly recommend WorldMark and buy resale. The overall cost per night is less than Wyndham and a little more expensive initially, but the flexibility is similar in both systems. You will need to be the type of traveler who can plan ahead for longer stays, but working for an airline you bid your vacations a year ahead, so that should not be an issue. A lot more availability for the Monday-Thursday type short notice trips, especially in shoulder or off season. Let me know if you want more info. You can go to the website Worldmark the Club to see the resort locations without needing to log in.
Thanks so much for the info! I will definitely check out WorldMark. Looks like you chose a good time to retire!

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI is typically weekend to weekend so not typically the best days for NRSA.