• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

AirBNB as a TS rental platform

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
airbnb rolled out a new interface while I was working on a listing this evening.

I had trouble finding the Availability setting "Make unavailable by default". I finally stumbled upon it. I clicked on the resort and the former look of the calendar availability appeared rather than the grid I had been stuck on.

Thanks!

Last edited:

auntiepen

Reaction score
Thank @HudsHut to sent this link. It’s very interesting about Airbnb rental.
@PhilD41 how was your rental going? It's been many months now. I like to hear your feedback.
@Sandy VDH , I will send you PM to get the contact information

tha

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have rented Westin Maui units on AirBnB and currently have a listing for a 2BR KOR from 26 Mar to 02 Apr 22. Maui recently changed their laws and now require all short term rentals (with a few very limited exceptions) to be registered in their tax system. AirBnB is posting this notice on my account:

"Registration is required to host in Maui
You have 1 unregistered listing in Maui. Your listing will be removed on Jan 26 if you don’t get a Tax Map Key (TMK) and Transient Accommodations Tax License Number (TAT) from the government of Maui and add your Tax Map Key (TMK) and Transient Accommodations Tax License Number (TAT) (or reason your listing is exempt) to your listing page."

Unfortunately, aside from the hassle and being overtaxed, this process appears to be impossible because timeshare units do not have a TMK. The "timeshare plan manager" (i.e. KOR) does have a TAT (no TMK that I can tell from the dozen or so tax map listings at 6 Kai Ala) but that doesn't seem to help me.

Maui County does have brochure that explains the TAT (step 2 in the AirBnB process) available at: https://files.hawaii.gov/tax/legal/brochures/TAT_brochure.pdf

That makes zero mention of a TMK, perhaps it is on the TA-1 and TA-2 forms. I haven't looked at those yet...

At this point It appears after 26 Jan 22 AirBnB will no longer support TS rentals in Maui. This may be happening in the other counties too.

Am I wrong? Anyone worked through this?

Thanks in advance!

tha

TUG Member
Reaction score
https://www.mauicounty.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=11089 identified who at AirBnB is responsible for this. So I sent him a message on Linked-In:

Matt,

I have listed and successfully rented 10s of thousands of dollars of oceanfront Maui time on AirBnB at Westin Villa properties. I would prefer to use TUG or Redweek but you have the customers.

These properties do not have a TMK, much less a unique TMK for each Westin owner.

As you know your platforms now requires hosts to obtain from Maui County a TMK and provided that number to appear on online listings for bed-and-breakfast homes, short-term rental homes and other transient vacation rentals within Maui County.

I have contacted Maui County and they cannot do that for the Westin property at 6 Kai Ala much less for me.

I have already a message that you will delist my current Mar 22 listing. I have communicated with your staff multiple times. Quite frankly AirBnB is a wall of arrogance and incompetence.

Is it your intention to direct all AirBnB business in Maui to residential communities and abandon the Hotel Zone? Talk about lose/lose!

Sincerely,

Tom Augustine

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Quite frankly AirBnB is a wall of arrogance and incompetence.

In my experience, putting something like the passage above in a letter may be therapeutic for the author … but I am not sure it is much motivation for them to try to resolve things.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
https://www.mauicounty.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=11089 identified who at AirBnB is responsible for this. So I sent him a message on Linked-In:

Matt,

I have listed and successfully rented 10s of thousands of dollars of oceanfront Maui time on AirBnB at Westin Villa properties. I would prefer to use TUG or Redweek but you have the customers.

These properties do not have a TMK, much less a unique TMK for each Westin owner.

As you know your platforms now requires hosts to obtain from Maui County a TMK and provided that number to appear on online listings for bed-and-breakfast homes, short-term rental homes and other transient vacation rentals within Maui County.

I have contacted Maui County and they cannot do that for the Westin property at 6 Kai Ala much less for me.

I have already a message that you will delist my current Mar 22 listing. I have communicated with your staff multiple times. Quite frankly AirBnB is a wall of arrogance and incompetence.

Is it your intention to direct all AirBnB business in Maui to residential communities and abandon the Hotel Zone? Talk about lose/lose!

Sincerely,

Tom Augustine

Any response or updates on this?

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Jesse6283

Thanks for the information. That is exactly what I am looking for. However, I could not find the "I am exempt" section any more. Did airbnb change the interface?

Jane
@chapjim @Tank --- In regards to Permits, you can claim an exemption if you have a timeshare! You most likely do not need to apply for a city permit for short term rental as your hotel already has it... Here is how you do it on Airbnb: Click on get your permit and then there will be a section that says "I am exempt" -- You can click on that and then say that you have a hotel. Airbnb will do a quick verification on their end but when they search the address of your listing and see that it is a hotel/timeshare they will not require you to do this. If your listing is already live, you can also access this section by clicking on the Policies and Rules Tab in your listing and then scrolling down until you see "Regulations". If you do not see "Regulations", then Airbnb does not require a permit for your listing as your county has not required it yet...

View attachment 38244

View attachment 38245