• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

AirBNB as a TS rental platform

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Yeah, I am unsure of Airbnb but I think you have to put a set amount per night and not put a minimum and maximum price per night that you will accept.

Because WorldMark reservations need me to book 10,000 points to not be charged extra guest fees and HK fees. Every 10,000 points you get one. A 2 bed at Dolphin's Cove uses 10,000 points and one guest and one HK fee. So I like 7 nights, so I have to put 7 nights as the minimum and maximum.

Our daughter is going to help me with all of this.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
He also had a lot of other demands on me you wouldn’t believe. But the night I was supposed to meet the renter in the parking lot after eleven at night was the night we split ways.

Nothing good ever happens after 10pm

I think a parent once said that somewhere

Jesse6283

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I am an Airbnb Ambassador and I have been working with several people and helping them to rent their timeshares on Airbnb. - Personally I have also rented thousands of rentals on Airbnb and have over 1400+ 5 star Reviews with a Super Host Rating (online proof can be seen at https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/9296727 )

I am more than happy too share my knowledge with the community and can most likely answer any questions any of you have so ask away, my knowledge is here for the community ~ Jesse

[Self-promotion deleted]

[DO NOT REMOVE THIS: You cannot promote your for-pay referrals on TUG, and you cannot delete a Moderator's warnings.
Moderator, DeniseM

TUG Rules:
Honor changes entered by moderators

You may not alter, edit, or delete any edits introduced into your message by a Moderator or Administrator. This is considered a serious offense and may result in loss of posting privileges.

If you are a broker or salesperson, or work in an allied field, we welcome your participation on the board. We value your industry perspective and valuable insights. We do not appreciate, however, attempts to use our bbs for direct commercial purposes. We do not, for instance, welcome your adding tag lines promoting your business, such as "Call me for more information." Use the board as a way to be helpful and build your reputation, not as a direct sales tool, please. Due to flagrant commercial violations by some abusers in the past, we have found it necessary to be very strict about this.]

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Hi @Jesse6283, Welcome and thank you for offering your knowledge. Unfortunately I have already set up my listings and have booked two. I do have a process / is this typical question for you. I have too bookings, but I am not sure how to tell if they have paid. I know what they will pay or have agreed to through the details of the booking. One asked a question that makes me think they have booked, but haven't paid yet. I was pretty sure when I have booked on Airbnb before, you had to pay during the booking process. I haven't used it much, so maybe that isn't true. Any insights?

Anyway, both selected the non-refundable discount, and both have passed (I believe) the 48 hour cancellation window. So far, nether of them have responded to a message reminding them I need information for the reservation transfer. I am hoping they do soon. I am a little nervous with a reservation approaching the last day to cancel, a booking on Airbnb but with a renter that isn't communicating. I am hopeful it will all work out in time.

Would love to hear some of your experience with renters on Airbnb. What is typical? What are some situations to try and avoid? Any absolute no-no's? :)

Grace & Peace,

Jesse6283

Reaction score
Hi @Jesse6283, Welcome and thank you for offering your knowledge. Unfortunately I have already set up my listings and have booked two. I do have a process / is this typical question for you. I have too bookings, but I am not sure how to tell if they have paid. I know what they will pay or have agreed to through the details of the booking. One asked a question that makes me think they have booked, but haven't paid yet. I was pretty sure when I have booked on Airbnb before, you had to pay during the booking process. I haven't used it much, so maybe that isn't true. Any insights?

Anyway, both selected the non-refundable discount, and both have passed (I believe) the 48 hour cancellation window. So far, nether of them have responded to a message reminding them I need information for the reservation transfer. I am hoping they do soon. I am a little nervous with a reservation approaching the last day to cancel, a booking on Airbnb but with a renter that isn't communicating. I am hopeful it will all work out in time.

Would love to hear some of your experience with renters on Airbnb. What is typical? What are some situations to try and avoid? Any absolute no-no's? :)

Grace & Peace,
Hello @PhilD41 -- In regards to your question, you should definitely know if they paid or not. For starters, I would highly recommend too all timeshare owners that they should select the "Strict" Cancellation policy when renting. The cancellation policies can be further explained here: https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies --- Now in regards too your question, if the guest was charged, Airbnb will always hold the funds and then release them too you 24 hours after the guest checks in - Think of Airbnb like the middleman that handles the contracts and payments automatically... No need too use PayPal or sign a rental agreement - but on their end, of course they need too protect themselves as well and this is why they release the funds 24 hours after the guest checks in. If you are worried about what is owed too you, you can also check your "upcoming stays" in your transaction history and it will show you exactly how much funds are pending too be released too you - you can check that out at (make sure you are logged into Airbnb before using link) -- https://www.airbnb.com/users/transaction_history -- Also, one more thing, sometimes people will not respond when you use the Airbnb messenger -- after they have made a booking Airbnb will usually release their phone number too you so I would suggest in this circumstance that you try giving them a call. Please let me know if any other questions. J

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Thank you @Jesse6283! I do use the Strict Cancellation policy. Actually, I use the Strict or Non-Refundable. The Modified Strict is interesting, but I think I would still rather have someone book non-refundable, especially given how Wyndham guest certs work. I can see all the details around payment. I initially assumed that mean the renters had paid. One of them messaged and asked if they could make two payments. That struck me as very odd as it was a confirmed booking with payment detail included. That is when I realized it doesn't actually say they have actually paid anywhere. This information would be helpful as I wouldn't want to transfer the reservation and use a guest cert until they had actually paid..... then again, both of these renters used the non-refundable option. Just all seems odd / off to me.

Anyway... I will go look for contact information for the renters. I hadn't thought about that since both initially reached out through the message system. I think this is required by Airbnb though, now that I think about it. I will keep working on it. I have a few weeks, but the worse case is I never get the data to transfer the reservation and they travel without a resort to check in... that would be bad... and foolish on their part. I had the requirement for the reservation information in three spots, including the message they had to acknowledge to book. :) Hopefully it will all work out.

Grace & Peace!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had my first booking cancel, and I hadn’t realized how lenient the policy was and reset it for strict. Then I had another cancel a few days before checkin and she said her husband had Covid and could she get any niftier money back. I had to go through quite a process to return her money, but I did return it.
I have a big problem with Bluegreen/Christmas mountain as I charge for cleaning fee with Airbnb and i pay it to the resort before check in and they have charged them the cleaning fee again, this results in some bad reviews and extra calls and paperwork

Jesse6283

Reaction score
Thank you @Jesse6283! I do use the Strict Cancellation policy. Actually, I use the Strict or Non-Refundable. The Modified Strict is interesting, but I think I would still rather have someone book non-refundable, especially given how Wyndham guest certs work. I can see all the details around payment. I initially assumed that mean the renters had paid. One of them messaged and asked if they could make two payments. That struck me as very odd as it was a confirmed booking with payment detail included. That is when I realized it doesn't actually say they have actually paid anywhere. This information would be helpful as I wouldn't want to transfer the reservation and use a guest cert until they had actually paid..... then again, both of these renters used the non-refundable option. Just all seems odd / off to me.

Anyway... I will go look for contact information for the renters. I hadn't thought about that since both initially reached out through the message system. I think this is required by Airbnb though, now that I think about it. I will keep working on it. I have a few weeks, but the worse case is I never get the data to transfer the reservation and they travel without a resort to check in... that would be bad... and foolish on their part. I had the requirement for the reservation information in three spots, including the message they had to acknowledge to book. :) Hopefully it will all work out.

Grace & Peace!
Just make sure that if they did pay that you send them a message in the Airbnb Messenger with the reservation - It is important too prove to Airbnb that you gave them proper check in-instructions so if ever a guest tries too cancel and get a refund you have proof.

Last edited:

Jesse6283

Reaction score
I had my first booking cancel, and I hadn’t realized how lenient the policy was and reset it for strict. Then I had another cancel a few days before checkin and she said her husband had Covid and could she get any niftier money back. I had to go through quite a process to return her money, but I did return it.
I have a big problem with Bluegreen/Christmas mountain as I charge for cleaning fee with Airbnb and i pay it to the resort before check in and they have charged them the cleaning fee again, this results in some bad reviews and extra calls and paperwork

I am sorry too hear about the cleaning fee mishap. I think the best thing to do here is too call the resort the day before check-in and ask them to put a note on the reservation, most reservation systems allow a note on the booking and the check-in person will see that and also - you should let the guest know that sometimes the resort will make a mistake and ask for a cleaning fee and that if they do, tell them too let you know and then you can call the resort too sort it out during their stay... I would just be really on top of it because reviews are everything on Airbnb. You can also offer the guest a refund if they agree that their review would be taken down and then you can contact Airbnb support and explain the situation and Airbnb is usually very understanding and they will actually take down a bad review if both parties agree too it and it was a mistake. (Make sure when you speak with them you always do it through Airbnb Messenger so you have proof that it was a mistake). To offer your guest a refund because they had too pay onsite, Airbnb has a feature for this:

1. Go to Resolution Center and click Send money
  2. Select a guest to send money and click Next
  3. Under Select a reason, choose the reason that best describes your refund situation
  4. Click Next
  5. Enter the refund amount, and add a message to your guest
  6. Click Next and then Send

Last edited:

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
I can send them a screen shot of the reservation I have, @Jesse6283, but I can't show it in their name until I get the information from them. Wyndham requires a name, phone number, email and address (same as on ID) for me to transfer the reservation to them. I did check and Airbnb will show me their ID is verified, but I can find nowhere that it actually provides a phone number for either of them. I will continue to "pester" them in the messenger every 2-3 days or so and hope for the best.

To you earlier comment about holding fund until 24 hours after check-in. That is fairly normal for these platforms. Koala does the same thing. I get that. The lack of communication (for two renters) seems very strange to me. The one asking to make two payments really threw me for a loop as well. I responded that I have no control over how Airbnb collects payment. It really made it sound like the booking wasn't paid for yet though. Is that posible?

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I can send them a screen shot of the reservation I have, @Jesse6283, but I can't show it in their name until I get the information from them. Wyndham requires a name, phone number, email and address (same as on ID) for me to transfer the reservation to them. I did check and Airbnb will show me their ID is verified, but I can find nowhere that it actually provides a phone number for either of them. I will continue to "pester" them in the messenger every 2-3 days or so and hope for the best.

To you earlier comment about holding fund until 24 hours after check-in. That is fairly normal for these platforms. Koala does the same thing. I get that. The lack of communication (for two renters) seems very strange to me. The one asking to make two payments really threw me for a loop as well. I responded that I have no control over how Airbnb collects payment. It really made it sound like the booking wasn't paid for yet though. Is that posible?

What if the renter doesn't check in? Check-in day comes and goes and the renter simply does not check in?

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
@chapjim, I have no idea. I am guessing that they (Airbnb) still send payment assuming the renter doesn't claim it wasn't available. I am taking the advice to show everything in chat so there is proof what what I have provided. I expect if someone opts for the non-refundable discount and something happens that they can't go then they would be a no-shows. Hopefully all works out. :)

Jesse6283

Reaction score

Airbnb does not do partial payments so this is an odd question. The renter was probably confused on how Airbnb works. Whatever is in your transaction history is what Airbnb has charged the guest and is holding. Usually what I do, I do not send them a picture or screenshot, I just copy and paste -
What if the renter doesn't check in? Check-in day comes and goes and the renter simply does not check in?
@PhilD41 @chapjim - No shows will forfeit their rental amount, however, they may be able too claim back their cleaning fee and/or resort fee, etc. The rental amount though is not refundable for a no show.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I have a question that doesn't seem to be covered in Airbnb Help.

I started a listing at Quarter House in New Orleans but just before publishing, I find that New Orleans requires a license for short-term rentals. The license costs $500 and at the moment, can only be obtained in person because the city's website for such things is down.

My question is how do I kill the in-progress listing? There is no chance that it will ever become a published listing.

Thanks!

Last edited:

arcsinx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tree Tops Resort Gatlinburg, TN
Vacation Villages at Parkway Kissimmee, FL
Just an observation from someone who has never used AirBnB but was somewhat interested: Reading this thread makes the whole process seem like a massive headache that's ripe for mistakes and missing out on money. A dedicated platform like Koala seems easier, even if it has less traffic. *shrugs*

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just an observation from someone who has never used AirBnB but was somewhat interested: Reading this thread makes the whole process seem like a massive headache that's ripe for mistakes and missing out on money. A dedicated platform like Koala seems easier, even if it has less traffic. *shrugs*

I think you nailed it.

The initial set up with Airbnb is complex. They want a picture of you. Then, they want front and back of an ID (driver's license). Then they want another picture of you to compare with the D/L. There are lots of options, many of which don't apply to timeshares. The assumption is that you have a wholly owned house (condo, apartment) that you rent part of the time and that you might be sharing some or all of the house, etc. Once you get through that and post your first listing, it gets easier. The banter here on TUG helped me a lot.

I was approached by the Ambassadors and was going to hook up with them until they made a mistake with the reservations I had and got pushy. Airbnb in total is kind of pushy. When a prospective renter sends a query, you have 24 hours to respond (I never take that long so no problem there), Then, you have 24 hours to pre-approve the renter, who then has 24 hours to book the rental. For the most part, that kind of timeline is not necessary. On the other hand, it eliminates the uncertainty caused when you get a query and respond but don't hear anything for days. The emphasis is to quickly seal the deal or move on.

I put up four listings a couple of days ago and have had one rental. Pretty good but not conclusive of anything because it was a week that I thought would go fairly quickly -- good resort, good location, good dates, good price.

As I indicated in an earlier post, Airbnb is no good for my weeks at Quarter House in New Orleans. The city requires a license for short term rentals through Airbnb and similar sites. The license costs $500. So, I'll continue to rent QH weeks myself.

Jesse6283

Reaction score
I have a question that doesn't seem to be covered in Airbnb Help.

I started a listing at Quarter House in New Orleans but just before publishing, I find that New Orleans requires a license for short-term rentals. The license costs $500 and at the moment, can only be obtained in person because the city's website for such things is down.

My question is how do I kill the in-progress listing? There is no chance that it will ever become a published listing.

Thanks!

I just tried too delete one of my "in progress" listings and I was also unable too do it. I think the only way to do this would be too publish it and then immediately delete it following the guide here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/476/how-do-i-snooze-unlist-or-deactivate-my-listing -- This seems like unnecessary work though I would just leave it in pending status... I wonder if New Orleans would give you an exemption because the timeshare resort already has the business license and you have a deed to it which ties too that property? I would also try calling the license board and ask them to waive the fee because you have a timeshare property and this property is already registered? I just had to do this with New Mexico in Santa Fe and they were pretty lenient...

Jesse6283

Reaction score
In response too this message, I do agree with you that it takes time and effort to set up your Airbnb account and your listing. However, it is important too note that once your listing is setup, it is essentially set up for life. The smart thing to do is too mark your dates as "unavailable by default" and then for all your future listings, this is where it shines. All you need too do is open up the dates on your calendar and set the pricing and your listing instantly goes live. Furthermore, you can use the clone listing feature if you want too clone it for a lock-off or if you have a listing that is very similar and then you will only have too change a couple of things. It is a bit of a headache to get started but it is set it and forget it once it is live. As an Airbnb ambassador I am constantly sending tips too the team and they have actually implemented some changes on the platform (for example, restricted dates so you can set it so than people cannot request a check in day on Monday-Thursday if you are only allowed check in Friday-Saturday). I will be writing an extensive guide with all the tips and tricks of listing on Airbnb in a new post shortly --

[Edited to remove ad-like comments. Please note that the TUG Rules prohibit advertising that results in any type of personal gain.] <-- SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesse6283

Reaction score
Yeah, I am unsure of Airbnb but I think you have to put a set amount per night and not put a minimum and maximum price per night that you will accept.

Because WorldMark reservations need me to book 10,000 points to not be charged extra guest fees and HK fees. Every 10,000 points you get one. A 2 bed at Dolphin's Cove uses 10,000 points and one guest and one HK fee. So I like 7 nights, so I have to put 7 nights as the minimum and maximum.

Our daughter is going to help me with all of this.
One thing too note if you put 7 day minimum and 7 day maximum - When someone does a search they will have too search EXACTLY those dates or they will not show up in the search results. So if you have June 1-7 it will show up but if they search anything else it will not show up. One work around strategy on this one is too consider putting your minimum nights a bit lower and pricing higher... Airbnb guests usually pay more than they would on Redweek/Tug so it usually works out. Alternatively, you could also put at the top of your listing that it is for a 7 night rental, turn instant book off, turn your minimum nights to 5 and then you will receive more inbound requests from guest and it will give you the ability too negotiate with them on a price using the Special Offer feature (You can either press the Accept button or the Send Special offer for a price you negotiate).

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just tried too delete one of my "in progress" listings and I was also unable too do it. I think the only way to do this would be too publish it and then immediately delete it following the guide here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/476/how-do-i-snooze-unlist-or-deactivate-my-listing -- This seems like unnecessary work though I would just leave it in pending status... I wonder if New Orleans would give you an exemption because the timeshare resort already has the business license and you have a deed to it which ties too that property? I would also try calling the license board and ask them to waive the fee because you have a timeshare property and this property is already registered? I just had to do this with New Mexico in Santa Fe and they were pretty lenient...

Here's the note from Quarter House:
"Due to a new Ordinance from The City of New Orleans regarding short term rentals, the Quarter House Home Owners' Association want owners to be aware of what is required to post a listing. A permit must be obtained by the owner from The City of New Orleans and a fee of approximately $500 is required for each owner that lists a suite(s) for rent on sites such as Air B'n'B [sic], HomeAway, VRBO, etc. If this is not done correctly, The City can charge costly penalties. Please keep in mind that our policies do alow owners to self-rent or to use Quarter House's rental program."

If Quarter House were licensed and if owners were able to piggy-back on QH's license, the note would not read the way it does.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score

Grace & Peace!
Phil I don’t put the guest name on Wyndham confirmation until 15 days before check In. As that is my no refund cancellation point. As far as guest knows their name is on confirmation the minute they confirm. No guest confirmation paperwork is required by Airbnb at time of booking to provide to guest. Which is as it should be. Owners have to me protected from loss also.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
You get the whole amount. I’ve had this happen and as renters pay Airbnb when they confirm if they are a no show with no contact on cancellation the renter loses his money and you get it period. Renter could contact you after the fact with an explanation or a sad story. If there is a partial refund that is wholly up to owner. I never could understand how folks can be a no show my conclusion is SOME FOLKS HAVE WAY TOO MUCH MONEY! lol

Jesse6283

Reaction score
Here's the note from Quarter House:
"Due to a new Ordinance from The City of New Orleans regarding short term rentals, the Quarter House Home Owners' Association want owners to be aware of what is required to post a listing. A permit must be obtained by the owner from The City of New Orleans and a fee of approximately $500 is required for each owner that lists a suite(s) for rent on sites such as Air B'n'B [sic], HomeAway, VRBO, etc. If this is not done correctly, The City can charge costly penalties. Please keep in mind that our policies do alow owners to self-rent or to use Quarter House's rental program."

If Quarter House were licensed and if owners were able to piggy-back on QH's license, the note would not read the way it does.
Sounds too me like the city of New Orleans is trying to double dip on licensing fees, not surprised at all...

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
My listing still doesn't show up, when i search Cancun for Dec 26 to Jan 2. Frustrating experience with the platform so far