• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

#Ahmed

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
The danger, to me, isn't in copycats bringing in pencilcase clocks to try and get their 15 minutes, it's Daesh recruiting some kid to bring in a real IED with the expectation that school security would relax because of this backlash.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
The key to understanding between us is that it *might* have been a bomb. It turned it out it wasn't, but there was no way to know for sure. That's all I'm saying.

Using that "logic" any electronic could be a bomb and thus any kid could be arrested and accused of possessing a hoax bomb.

But this is the USA and we have a principle that people are innocent until PROVEN guilty. There is no proof. None.

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Using that "logic" any electronic could be a bomb and thus any kid could be arrested and accused of possessing a hoax bomb.

But this is the USA and we have a principle that people are innocent until PROVEN guilty. There is no proof. None.

That's true. Any kid could be arrested for doing that.

You don't have to be PROVEN guilty to be arrested, You have to be PROVEN guilty to be convicted.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

You're missing one major point. It is against Texas law to use or possess a fake bomb with the intent to make someone believe that it is an explosive.

That may have been why he was arrested. He may have been belligerent during questioning, we don't know.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scientist Richard Dawkins labels junk looking clock in the box not an invention but a fraud.

"The scientist and writer slams Ahmed Mohamed for claiming the clock was his 'invention' and hits out at tech firms that have rushed to offer him invitations and freebies.
Dawkins also questions whether the teenager was, in fact, trying to get arrested.
'He disassembled & reassembled a clock (which is fine) & then claimed it was his "invention" (which is fraud),' Dawkins wrote on Twitter."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-Ahmed-Mohamed-claiming-clock-invention.html

Reaction score
Notice that Ahmed has not been on any talk shows like the Tonight Show, etc or even any of the hard core news shows like the ones on Sunday morning where most people with this instant fame would gravitate. Heck, he did not even up on softball shows like The View.

This may be done to shield the kid from answering hard questions on his own.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban stated that when he talked on the phone Ahmed Mohamed, his sister was “giving him the answer” on Friday’s broadcast of HBO’s “Real Time.”

Cuban said, “I talked to the kid, he’s from Dallas, and I’ve talked to the people in the school district. The kid is super smart kid, science geek. We talked about science, but while I’m talking to him on the phone, as I ask him a question, ‘Tell me what happened,’ because I’m curious, right? His sister, over his shoulder, you could hear, listening to the question, giving him the answer.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
You don't have to be PROVEN guilty to be arrested, You have to be PROVEN guilty to be convicted.
Which is probably why they dropped the charges, because there was no proof.

So why do so many of you want to argue that you knew this kid's state of mind? How are you so certain that he had the intent to scare people? Why do you want to judge him? Why do you want to punish him?

Notice that Ahmed has not been on any talk shows like the Tonight Show, etc or even any of the hard core news shows like the ones on Sunday morning where most people with this instant fame would gravitate. Heck, he did not even up on softball shows like The View.

This may be done to shield the kid from answering hard questions on his own.

Why do you want to infer meaning from silence? There are so many possibilities.

Maybe his parents don't want this to go to his head so they aren't letting him talk.

Maybe he just doesn't have much to say about it and just wants it all to be over.

Maybe he doesn't feel comfortable or safe talking until he's signed up for his new school.

Maybe he's just following his lawyer's instructions (any lawyer worth their salt would probably say "stay quiet; don't talk about it").

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you want to keep a low profile, you don't post pictures of your haul on the internet.

It's more logical to think that his family and/or attorney are concerned about what he might say in an unstructured conversation - a valid concern.

Really bright kids often don't have good social skills, and after all, he is only 14. Have you met a 14 year old boy recently? They are half-baked at that age.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
If you want to keep a low profile, you don't post pictures of your haul on the internet.

It's more logical to think that his family and/or attorney are concerned about what he might say in an unstructured conversation - a valid concern.

Really bright kids often don't have good social skills, and after all, he is only 14. Have you met a 14 year old boy recently? They are half-baked at that age.
And sometimes, fully baked.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, that kid can NEVER go back to the "old country"! He is just too dang Americanized .... as most kids from the OLD COUNTRY (from where ever he is from) would NEVER EVER display their "loot" like a half-baked "brain dead" "hip-hop" artist-ee ... who is front and forward in the photo.

Only thing missing is, Was the photo a selfie?

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which is probably why they dropped the charges, because there was no proof.

Agreed. But subtly trying to change your position, nice try.

Why do you want to infer meaning from silence? There are so many possibilities.

Maybe his parents don't want this to go to his head so they aren't letting him talk.

Maybe he just doesn't have much to say about it and just wants it all to be over.

Maybe he doesn't feel comfortable or safe talking until he's signed up for his new school.

Maybe he's just following his lawyer's instructions (any lawyer worth their salt would probably say "stay quiet; don't talk about it").

All legitimate "maybes" too. You err on the side of bloodletting from your heart. Others are more skeptical under the circumstances. But hey, if it comes out that Ahmed was extremely forthcoming throughout his interrogation, was respectful, not confrontational, truly had no idea that his "invention" could be perceived as provocative and/or his parents were unaware of it, then I will raise my hand and say my bad. Until then, the Ahmed worship will continue to baffle me.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Here is what I just posted on my FB page about this:Well, well! Just as I suspected from the beginning. The media again tells the wrong story. The President of the United States- again- his judgement totally wrong. Again, trying to make like the police did something wrong. AGAIN!! Creating an appearance that they are anti-Muslim.

And, now it has also come out that this kid's parents have an interesting background. His father is a Sudanese activist and is involved with "Cair"- the Muslim Brotherhood organization. By the way, this kid didn't invent anything. He bought a clock at Radio Shack and reconfigured it into a suitcase. And- he was not assigned a project in the first place! He did this on his own to impress a teacher he said. The teacher said it was nice but told him not to take it to his other classes. He ignored her and took it anyway.It started to beep in another classroom!! Read the story!! This kid was used as a pawn by his own father! This was a SET UP!. Come on!!! Wouldn't a Muslim parent tell his son in this day and age not to take something like this to school?

The kid is smart. He knew they would realize this wasn't an original invention. He used it for a fear factor- for attention. And it put the school district in a very difficult position. The family could sue now? You would think-ok- let them sue and the truth will come out- but- just as in the Pine Bush case, the school would be forced to settle since it would be so expensive. (Sound familiar Pine Bush?). With the settlement money, could use it to further their Cair organization causes. Just great! They won't need it for poor little innocent Ahmed's college education since the set up helped him to get a free scholarship to MIT! Can you imagine if one of any of our sons or daughters brought something like that to school? No free college tuition, I can tell you that! Would have been booted right out- there is a Zero Tolerance rule in these schools!!! Oh- I guess that is only for certain groups.

And now there is a story coming out that his sister, who I think works at a TV station, says in the past she was arrested for a bomb threat by the same school! Really? Total bullshit!!!! The kid wouldn't answer questions the police asked, yet as soon as Care cameras came out he was talking non-stop. Can you imagine if something like this was brought to a Hillary Clinton campaign? You think the Secret Service wouldn't take that thing down immediately?! From the very beginning I knew this story stunk. And, of course, the media is nowhere to be found now that the truth has come out. Don't want to offend Muslims or make the President look bad!

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The President of the United States- again- his judgement[sp] totally wrong... ... Don't want to offend Muslims or make the President look bad!

BTW... "In American English, 'judgement' is generally considered a misspelling of judgment for all uses of the word, notwithstanding individual preferences." -- The Grammarist

Otherwise, the post seems more like a political tirade and the later reference to Fox News being more revealing of a poster with an axe to grind, than informative.

Last edited:

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
The prior posts by mpumilia confirm what was stated here earlier, that the clock in the box was not an invention.

What purpose would putting working clock components in a box be but to trigger a bomb or create hostility.

Last edited:

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW... "In American English, 'judgement' is generally considered a misspelling of judgment for all uses of the word, notwithstanding individual preferences." -- The Grammarist

Otherwise, the post seems more like a political tirade and the later reference to Fox News being more revealing of a poster with an axe to grind, than informative.

Apparently attacking the spelling and messenger invalidates message.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

So we now know some more "facts" and it appears that Ahmed took apart a clock and stuffed it into a pencil box and called it his "invention". And still many feel it doesn't take the appearance of a potential bomb.

Somehow he comes out of this with full college scholarship offers, all kinds of electronic toys, and his family has set up a gofundme account in the boys name and is collecting thousands of dollars as we speak.

And there also appears to plenty of "duped" TUG members on this thread that now have egg on their face. This has actually been one of the most entertaining threads I've seen in awhile.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
if it comes out that Ahmed was extremely forthcoming throughout his interrogation, was respectful, not confrontational, truly had no idea that his "invention" could be perceived as provocative and/or his parents were unaware of it, then I will raise my hand and say my bad.

That is basically what has come out. The police's statement says " The student only would say it was a clock". None of the police or school admins have said he was "belligerent" or "confrontational" or "less than respectful." They said he wouldn't answer why he brought it to school, that's all.

The police's own press statement said:
"there is no evidence to support the perception he intended to create alarm"
http://cityofirving.org/DocumentCenter/View/16607

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is basically what has come out. The police's statement says " The student only would say it was a clock". None of the police or school admins have said he was "belligerent" or "confrontational" or "less than respectful." They said he wouldn't answer why he brought it to school, that's all. <snip>

Appears he was VERY well coached and this was NOT a spur of the moment act. It appears to have been "planned" as a media event by NON-SCHOOL unnamed person or persons.

Expect more such crap.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
The police's own press statement said:
"there is no evidence to support the perception he intended to create alarm"
http://cityofirving.org/DocumentCenter/View/16607

How come you didn't include this part of the release from your source?
The student only would say it was a clock and was not forthcoming at that time about any other details.
Having no other information to go on, and taking into consideration the device’s suspicious appearance and the safety of the students and staff at MacArthur High School, the student was taken into custody for possessing a hoax bomb.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
What purpose would putting working clock components in a box be but to trigger a bomb or create hostility.

You have obviously not met any tinkerers. For the record, MIT is a pretty conservative place. They are not bleeding-heart liberals. They and most of the other Ahmed supporters are simply people who recognize a tinkerer.

The social/political aspect of this is about the culture of distrust and fear of things that are different, new, or misunderstood. It's about how so many people in power fear that which they don't understand. And it's about how these kinds of reactions to innocent behavior stifles innovation, creativity, and tinkering.

Here's an article about tinkerers that describes the essence of tinkering, for those of you who don't understand: http://fortune.com/2013/01/04/the-tinkerers-who-made-america-great/

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Appears he was VERY well coached and this was NOT a spur of the moment act. It appears to have been "planned" as a media event by NON-SCHOOL unnamed person or persons.
This an absurd accusation. Where is your proof?

Planning to pull a stunt of the nature you describe is incredibly dangerous and could have resulted in Ahmed's death. This was in Texas, after all, not New York or California. There is nothing about this event that makes me think it was planned.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
How come you didn't include this part of the release from your source?

The important part is that the police never claimed he was confrontational or belligerent or any of the other claims people have made in this thread. It sounds as though he was compliant and respectful and simply didn't answer the question about why he brought it to school.

And I don't mean to belabor this point, but the police statement clarifies that the police didn't have any evidence of a crime at the time that they arrested him.

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
The important part is that the police never claimed he was confrontational or belligerent or any of the other claims people have made in this thread. It sounds as though he was compliant and respectful and simply didn't answer the question about why he brought it to school.

And I don't mean to belabor this point, but the police statement clarifies that the police didn't have any evidence of a crime at the time that they arrested him.

Just two things and I'm done. You can't say he was being "compliant" and that he "simply didn't answer the question about why he brought it to school". According to the report, he kept saying it was a clock and that is all he would answer in his replies to questioning. That might be construed as being non compliant by the police. Just saying.

And on your second point about having evidence... the police are not required to prove anything at the point of arrest - we keep telling you that and you keep saying the same thing again and again, so we have to keep replying with the same statement again and again.

Let me provide to you why the police chose to take him into custody (one more time):
The student only would say it was a clock and was not forthcoming at that time about any other details. Having no other information to go on, and taking into consideration the device’s suspicious appearance and the safety of the students and staff at MacArthur High School, the student was taken into custody for possessing a hoax bomb.