• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Age required to ck into Grand Desert?

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do all Wyndham resorts require one of the guests to be 21 years old? Our Grandson is 18 yrs old and he is going to a big all day concert in Las Vegas in May. We would love for him to be able to stay at Grand Desert for a couple nights with one friend. Is the age restriction 21 at all Wyndham resorts? Is there anyway around it? Besides one of our family who is over 21 going to Vegas and checking them in?

TIA

troy12n

Reaction score
To my knowledge, the only properties that allow people under 21 to check in are Fox Hunt and (maybe not anymore) Angel's Fire. Both of which are not Wyndham owned or managed resorts, but affiliate with the Wyndham System. Fox Run is a VRI resort I think. There may be others, but i'm not sure.

To me, this is a good thing. People in their 20's are generally not mature enough to handle this. I've been next to too many "early 20's using their parents timeshare" parties. I had to have security address these situations a couple times at Royal Vista where some kid had like 20 people in their unit and were partying. 18 year old? no way...

I have 2 kids, one of which just turned 21, and while he probably wouldn't throw a party, i'm not confident he wouldn't leave the place a complete pigstye and i'm not paying for the mess he leaves, or damage he might cause accidentally.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do all Wyndham resorts require one of the guests to be 21 years old?
It would appear so. Even at "shared" resorts where the WorldMark checkin age is 18, it is 21 when booking the WorldMark side through RCI.

I imagine booking through Club Pass is the same story.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Minimum age to check in at Emerald Grande is 25, I think there are others like that.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Call the resort to be sure. Some years back I got a unit for our daughter at a resort in Orlando. I called before I booked to be sure she would be able to check in. She was under 21 at the time (but over 18).

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion Troy12n really not was I was looking for. I have no worries about how my grandson would leave the unit. He was raised as his father before him was that anything they use connected to my name better be taken care of. Fear of god type situation. Don’t have to worry about parties with a large group because Ive found Wyndham keep a good eye on their properties as to who comes and goes. I assume that is magnified when you’re dealing with young people.
I will definitely call the resort, but I don’t have high hopes about an 18 yr old getting to check in. We will most likely been looking for friends of family to check them in.

troy12n

Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion Troy12n really not was I was looking for. I have no worries about how my grandson would leave the unit. He was raised as his father before him was that anything they use connected to my name better be taken care of. Fear of god type situation.

If you are a grandparent, it's probably been a couple decades since you have been a parent. Things have changed... A LOT. All one can do is do your best as a parent, set a good example and hope for the best that some of it sinks in. Unfortunately these days, that doesn't always seem to be the case. Despite how much "fear of god" you think has been instilled in them. Or how much you think "dishonoring the family name" matters to them (it doesnt...)

I am thankful that Wyndham has a very strict "no under 21" policy, and honestly wish they would raise it to 23 or 25. I have one, and soon to be 2 kids who could use it too. You can't rent a car until 25, for instance. And my experience is that in most resorts (especially ones without any sort of guard gate) the resorts do very little policing of those entering the facilities. And especially at beach resorts, this sort of kids/party nonsense happens way too often.

Of course this is just my opinion, but you will find, at least this time, most owners will side with me on this one. Just trying to provide as much info as I can, along with my opinion, which you can take or leave.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure your grandson is a wonderful person. But, lots of 18 year olds are less than fully responsible. How is the resort to know which are which?

You can't rent a car until 25, for instance.
I thought this too, but my daughter (who is 24) informs me that she can rent a car--at least from some agencies--she just has to pay more.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
If you are a grandparent, it's probably been a couple decades since you have been a parent. Things have changed... A LOT. All one can do is do your best as a parent, set a good example and hope for the best that some of it sinks in. Unfortunately these days, that doesn't always seem to be the case. Despite how much "fear of god" you think has been instilled in them. Or how much you think "dishonoring the family name" matters to them (it doesnt...)

I am thankful that Wyndham has a very strict "no under 21" policy, and honestly wish they would raise it to 23 or 25. I have one, and soon to be 2 kids who could use it too. You can't rent a car until 25, for instance. And my experience is that in most resorts (especially ones without any sort of guard gate) the resorts do very little policing of those entering the facilities. And especially at beach resorts, this sort of kids/party nonsense happens way too often.

Of course this is just my opinion, but you will find, at least this time, most owners will side with me on this one. Just trying to provide as much info as I can, along with my opinion, which you can take or leave.
Umm... I personally have observed the opposite. If you look at how people vote by age, younger people are more skewed in favor of things universal healthcare and funding education. Older people are skewed in the opposite direction. My county has 600+ teaching vacancies this year because the millage to raise the pay failed and you can't even afford a 1 bedroom apartment outside of the ghetto on a teacher salary anymore from all the northerners that moved down here. Guess which age group showed up in droves and voted against it? Do you think it was the 18-24 group?

That mentality of "my kids are grown and I don't want to pay more taxes" is the ultimate way to show you don't have any consideration for others.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

"Kids" can get married, have children, get a gun, vote, join the military and drink. But they can't check into a timeshare unit.

Last edited:

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I'd also call the specific (Grand Desert) resort and talk to a manager. Before my nephew, who is an owner, turned 21 he was sleeping in his car as a fire jumper in the Flagstaff area - when they had the bad fires a few years back. I called Flagstaff and they said if he was an owner, they'd get him in. I think he was 20 at the time. In the end he stayed elsewhere or didn't want it, whatever, but I would have done it after talking to the resort had he wanted the room. I was glad they let me take responsibility for the decision - he's a super responsible kid and I was comfortable that he would act responsibly.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I think that’s 21 too.
It is. I was referring to this comment:

"I am thankful that Wyndham has a very strict "no under 21" policy, and honestly wish they would raise it to 23 or 25."

At 24/25 I was married (no kids) and on my way to buying my first house.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Umm... I personally have observed the opposite. If you look at how people vote by age, younger people are more skewed in favor of things universal healthcare and funding education. Older people are skewed in the opposite direction. My county has 600+ teaching vacancies this year because the millage to raise the pay failed and you can't even afford a 1 bedroom apartment outside of the ghetto on a teacher salary anymore from all the northerners that moved down here. Guess which age group showed up in droves and voted against it? Do you think it was the 18-24 group?

That mentality of "my kids are grown and I don't want to pay more taxes" is the ultimate way to show you don't have any consideration for others.
We are very fortunate - our school district has long been known as the best in the state (some of the suburbs may compete with us now). Always the leading edge - the first all day kindergarten, the best special education programs, the best gifted programs, music and foreign language starting in kindergarten, etc, etc. At one time (and why we moved here) the best education available in the state - and that has kept the property values high. Any bond issues needed to support the schools are passed, so it seems. Thus even those of us without children in the home, still heavily support the schools - it keeps our property values high. A win win, I think you could say.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
If your children or grandchildren are 18 and listed as owners on the account I believe they can check in when they have a reservation in their name.

However at a resort like Emerald Grande where the minimum age to check in is 25 and/or when the resort isn't managed by Wyndham I'm not sure being an owner makes a difference.

troy12n

Reaction score

I don't know how you could have come to those conclusions based on what I posted. I live in one of those states (FL) where people moved to in droves during the pandemic. And quite honestly none of what you posted have to do with either the topic at hand, or my comment. I agree for what it's worth, with what you posted up to that last sentence. I don't understand how you could come to that conclusion based on what I wrote... I support teachers, and don't oppose taxes for schools, even when my kids are grown. To do so is complete ignorance.

"Kids" can get married, have children, get a gun, vote, join the military and drink.

Just because they legally CAN, that doesn't mean that ANY of those things are good ideas... especially getting married and having kids. That's probably the most destructive thing a couple could do right now at 18...

PS, the "age to join the military" being 18 is not because kids are emotionally ready to do so, it's because the government needed bodies to throw into the meat grinder, and could legally compel them to "go die", let's not try to conflate that into the very privilaged act of "checking into a timeshare"

If your children or grandchildren are 18 and listed as owners on the account I believe they can check in when they have a reservation in their name.

I'm almost 100% sure that's not true.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Just because they legally CAN, that doesn't mean that ANY of those things are good ideas... especially getting married and having kids. That's probably the most destructive thing a couple could do right now at 18...

PS, the "age to join the military" being 18 is not because kids are emotionally ready to do so, it's because the government needed bodies to throw into the meat grinder, and could legally compel them to "go die", let's not try to conflate that into the very privilaged act of "checking into a timeshare"
This is all just your opinion.

My opinion is, if we consider young adults old enough to do many things, they should be considered old enough to check into a timeshare. If they cause destruction, or whatever, then it's up to them to suffer the consequences, just like all of us.

I didn't know that checking into a timeshare was such a privileged act.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Timeshare HOA's like hotels can make their own check in age requirements. Developers generally set that age at 21 for guests. An 18-20 year old owner can generally check in for themselves. I can't imagine a mass petition of owners requesting that guest check in age to be changed to 18.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your opinions. Closer to the date when all plans are made for certain I will make that call. FYI Troy our oldest Grandchild lived with us her last 2 years of high school. The same method of child rearing still works. It was a very long 2 years lol. As I thought I’d finished raising kids 20 yrs prior. Fortunately I really never got too far out of the parent zone and dropped into the grandparent zone so I was equipped for the job. It was still exhausting. Lol

WManning

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your opinions. Closer to the date when all plans are made for certain I will make that call. FYI Troy our oldest Grandchild lived with us her last 2 years of high school. The same method of child rearing still works. It was a very long 2 years lol. As I thought I’d finished raising kids 20 yrs prior. Fortunately I really never got too far out of the parent zone and dropped into the grandparent zone so I was equipped for the job. It was still exhausting. Lol
Thank you for being a parent again as a grandparent. My grandmother at 63 stepped up when my siblings and I were 2, 4 & 6. I personally feel very thankful she was willing and able after raising her 6 children.

jhoug

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s 21, even if they are listed as an owner at a younger age, they can’t check in. I’ve had the conversation with Wyndham about this a few times when asking about adding “adult” children