• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Affidavit for Minor to Travel

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here is a link that I thought would be helpful. ;) My husband and I are traveling seprately so we need to have this filled out before we go to Mexico. Also, my friend who is seperated from her husband had to have one filled out before they leave on their trip.

http://www.ta2000.com/docs/minor_auth.html

agape78

Reaction score
Thank you so much for providing this information and document. It was truly a blessing, considering we are leaving for a trip to Cancun with our grandson on the 18th. Perfect timing for reading this site.

SusanMu

Reaction score
I brought a friends daughter with me to Mexico in April and was concerned because the notary did not use a raised seal on the permission letter so I called the airline to see if it needed the raised seal like the birth certificate needs. I was really surprised to learn that they have done away with the notarized letter that was required to enter Mexico. I still brought one but it was not requested. The agent at Continental Airlines I spoke to said that this requirement had changed sometime earlier this year.

uaholleman

Reaction score
Royal Caribbean and Carnival require a letter for a minor to travel with anyone other than parents. My 12 yo went on a cruise last year with family friends and we found this out 2 hrs before they left. Thankfully most banks have a notary and heartbreak was avoided.

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, most notary's nowadays no longer have a "raised stamp". Instead they have a rubber stamp that includes their notary ID # and expiration date.

lostweekend

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought 18 years old was OK to travel alone or with 1 parent to Mexico. True or False?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
True.

From the U.S. State Department "Tips for Travelers to Mexico" (updated May 2005):
Parents of minor children (under 18 years old) should carefully document legal custody prior to traveling to Mexico. If a minor child is traveling with only one parent, the absent parent should provide notarized consent. If only one parent has legal custody, that parent should be prepared to provide such evidence to airlines and Mexican authorities. In cases in which a minor child is traveling to Mexico alone or in someone else’s company, both parents (or the sole, documented custodial parent) should provide notarized consent. If a child traveling to Mexico has a different last name from the mother and/or father, the parents should be prepared to provide evidence to airlines and Mexican authorities, such as a birth certificate or adoption decree, to prove that they are indeed the parents.

Note that although there has apparently been some easing of restrictions on minors traveling to Mexico, as discussed in earlier posts in this thread, it's still a good idea to prepare for the worst, as suggested by the U.S. State Department.

gresmi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be advised... things, they are a' changin' for MX

Just got back from PDC yesterday. Be advised that a copy of a birth certificate will not work going into MX. You will need an original or a passport. I was traveling with a friend who was going on the posted advisory on the internet for the airline we were flying and that did not cut it. Suggest anyone traveling to MX frequently get a passport, as I believe this will be standard requirement by year end.

PS - my friend was able to get on the plane by getting an affidavit notarized by a notary working FLL airport for just this reason.

Dave M said:
True.

From the U.S. State Department "Tips for Travelers to Mexico" (updated May 2005):

Note that although there has apparently been some easing of restrictions on minors traveling to Mexico, as discussed in earlier posts in this thread, it's still a good idea to prepare for the worst, as suggested by the U.S. State Department.