• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice prior to sales presentation

wrkirt

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at Canyon ridge in Phoenix for 4 day rental promo; we own through TUG at Harbor Pt on Hilton Head. We are having great stay and resort is one of nicest we have stayed at. We have to do an owners update meeting in 2 days and I want some TUG info on the destinations program. Marriott has previously told me that 70% of owners joined destinations; my question is what % of owners joined minimally, but kept their weeks program as is ??
Thanks to all who respond.
WRK in Phoenix

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure if i understand your question but, Enrolling legacy weeks in the DC does not change your original ownership program. It only allows you to also participate in the points program on the years that you decide to trade weeks for points. I enrolled my weeks during the first year of the DC program but have only traded for points twice with one unit. I still get more for my weeks through Interval trades. I have seen no sign of reduced success with II trades. I do save money with the Marriott corporate II account and had good success with my limited points exchanges. However the corporate account that comes with enrollment won't accept non Marriott weeks so there wouldn't be savings if you own other brand timeshare

Last edited:

wrkirt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

I was under impression that when you signed up for destinations; you were exchanging weeks for points; the pts they were offering for my late August week at Hilton Head would only get me a few nights at other resorts.

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
I traded my weeks during the first year of the DC program but have only traded for points twice with one unit. I still get more for my weeks through Interval trades. I have seen no sign of reduced success with II trades. I do save money with the Marriott corporate II account and had good success with my limited points exchanges.

Same basic scenario with us but the DC Points program has allowed us to book into Maui Ocean Club 12 months out-which also made it possible to get our first class frequent flyer airline reservations with fewer miles when they became available 330 days out. If you have any interest in specific dates for high demand locations, the Points program really works out well.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I was under impression that when you signed up for destinations; you were exchanging weeks for points; the pts they were offering for my late August week at Hilton Head would only get me a few nights at other resorts.

I'm afraid there are more questions that you need to answer, for yourself and others, to help you make an informed decision.

1. From where and when did you purchase your owned week on HHI?
If it was from Marriott directly, you should be able to enroll it for a flat fee without having to purchase additional points. They will want to sell you points on top of enrolling, but you don't have to buy them as a condition of enrolling a week purchased from Marriott.

If you purchased your week on the resale market, it is eligible to be enrolled one of two ways. If you purchased your week prior to June of 2010 (approx.), you are eligible to enroll your week by paying a flat fee (but it will be higher than the flat fee for someone who bought their week directly from Marriott) and you do not have to purchase any additional points. If you purchased your week on the resale market after June of 2010 (approx.), you are eligible to enroll your week if you purchase a minimum of 2,500 points (a likely $25k+ expenditure).

If you enroll your week, you will have the option of converting it to a pre-determined number of Destination Club (DC) points each year and use those points to make reservations of 1 or more nights at a time. How much any given week is worth is based on resort, season, view, etc. (However, I think most owners would agree that there is a 'skim' factor where the DC points conversion value assigned by Marriott to any week is not enough that you could go to your own resort in your owned season and get a one week stay). In that regard, your owned week is more valuable than it's points value.

2. How do you want to use your ownership? If you are happy going to your owned resort for a week at a time, or are fine exchanging through Interval International (II) for week-long stays, the option of converting your week to points may not be something you would use. If you would want to travel for less than a week at a time and/or travel during the 'off-peak' or shoulder season, being able to convert your week to points may be beneficial. (II does offer a 'short-stay' exchange option for stays of 1 to 6 nights, but I don't want to divert the conversation from your question of enrolling or not enrolling by going off into that. Just know there is such an option without going the Marriott DC points route.) Traveling 'off-peak' it is actually possible to stretch the value of a week and get more days of usage from your ownership through points than the 7 nights of holding/using it as a week.

3. Lastly, if you decide that you do want to purchase points you should be able to get the 'enrollment fee' for your week credited toward whatever increment of points you purchase (1,000 points is the minimum) to reduce your price per point. One benefit of having a DC account is the ability to rent points from other owners who have excess. I recommend considering only a minimum purchase of points (if at all) and looking to rent anything more you need beyond that.

Good luck. :cool:

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
One benefit of having a DC account is the ability to rent points from other owners who have excess. I recommend considering only a minimum purchase of points (if at all) and looking to rent anything more you need beyond that.

If you can enroll your current week without buying trust pts that is the way I'd go. Because being able to rent pts from current owners is a great deal. The only downside to renting pts is that they can not be banked to another year like your own pts. PLUS you can often find them for the same price as the MFs on trust pts.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
If you purchased your week prior to June of 2010 (approx.), you are eligible to enroll your week by paying a flat fee (but it will be higher than the flat fee for someone who bought their week directly from Marriott) and you do not have to purchase any additional points.
The bolded language is no longer true. That was the case originally, but now the fee to enroll a pre-June 2010 week is the same regardless of whether it was purchased from Marriott or elsewhere.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The bolded language is no longer true. That was the case originally, but now the fee to enroll a pre-June 2010 week is the same regardless of whether it was purchased from Marriott or elsewhere.
And don't forget, enrollment fee can be waived with purchase of Encore package.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I was not aware of the change. Thanks for pointing it out.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And don't forget, enrollment fee can be waived with purchase of Encore package.

Marriott also waived our enrollment fee because we purchased 1,000 points at that time. The $2,395 was a nice deduction off the $10k+ price of 1,000 points and got us down to around $7.50 per point.

wrkirt

TUG Member
Reaction score
update

Sales presentation went fine but over 90 minutes. Declined all offers till the closer came in and offered another ENCORE package with FREE enrollment in Destinations. We would have signed up but we were already over time and our friends were waiting to pick us up.
Does seem like Destinations has some aspects that will work for us but I get p-od when Marriott plays games. I suspect in future we will join for the added flexibility.