• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on Marriott TS

TSman

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the TS. I live in Texas, and what will be the best Marriott location for me? I am looking at Palm Desert and Hilton Head with log off unit. I try to remove Orlando from the list. It looks like Palm Desert does not seem to be good summer vacation for kids!

After I decide the resort, where can I get a reasonable deal for the TS. I still a little bit concern about dealing with ebay. What other options do I have?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
No Marriott Lock Offs on Hilton Head Island.

Buy where you really want to visit.

Use a reputable Escrow Agent for any deal you make.

Take a Marriott sales presentation tour to learn as much as you can about their program (I am not recommending you buy thru Marriott; rather pick their brains to learn more).

Do your homework and be careful with ebay. Alternative sources are My Resort Network, Redweek, TUG, Craigslist, etc.

Best of luck.

TSman

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I took a tour in Ko Olina this Summer, and this is the reason I love the Marriott system. I don't want to buy Ko Olina since it is too far away from my home.

VacationPro

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might also want to look at Branson. Low initial cost, low MFs and lock-off option.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like Palm Desert does not seem to be good summer vacation for kids!

This may come as a huge surprise to the many families with kids who surround the pool area each summer. We are owners at DSVII. In the summer there are kids everywhere. They have many fun, age appropriate, activities for the kids and 7 or 9 pools (not sure which as I haven't visited them all, I always go to the one closest to my unit.) Guitar Hero contests seemed to be pretty popular activity last summer. They have a parents night out where the kids can be dropped off for pizza and movies giving the parents a chance to have some alone time. All the buildings are air conditioned and the resort is contained behind a guard gate. I see kids hoping on the buses that do loops through the resort and going from place to place by themselves. Note: I am not claiming people should let their kids do this, but just saying that many parents are comfortable enough with the safety of the resort to let their kids do that. There are also hugh grassy areas throughout the resort. Last summer I saw many families enjoying playing in the evening sprinklers. Yes it is very hot during the summer, but it is a dry heat ;), which I prefer over humid summer nights.

I am not suggesting that this is the place for your family. Only you can make that decision. I am only saying this is a very family friendly resort, and it has traded very well for our family.

TSman

Reaction score
Thanks, do you think you have similar trading power for Gold season from:

Marriott desert spring villa I, and
Marriott desert spring villa II, and
Marriott Shadow Ridge.

From the previous post, it look like desert spring villa I is large, and you can access the spa. How about the other two? Please advice

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You may also consider Ocean Pointe (photos) in the West Palm Beach, FL area. It is a GREAT summertime location and is an easy flight from Houston to Fort Lauderdale. IMO Ocean Pointe (gold - summer) would give you much better trading ability than Desert Springs (blue - summer). You could probably buy one for less than $7500.

It is a great time to buy a Marriott TS, as prices are low and Marriott does not seem to be buying back timeshares at this time.

Terry

JimIg23

TUG Member
Reaction score

Marriott Shadow Ridge.

From the previous post, it look like desert spring villa I is large, and you can access the spa. How about the other two? Please advice

We just spent a week there (Shadow Ridge) this summer, before going to our TS in Newport. I would not buy Gold there. 1) Summer Getaways there are pretty cheap, I think I spent about $400 for 4th of July week, 2 bedrm 2) It was beautiful, but really, really hot. We enjoyed ourselves, the kids swam alot, we saw things, but it was still 110 degrees. With that type of heat, you need to spend a lot of time planning things to cool off and take rests for the kids. It was fine for us because it was a $400 week and wanted to go slow, but I would not do this in a TS I spent $$$ on. We may go there again in the summer, but not for a while. 3) if you are going to buy I would buy a Platinum week somewhere you like to go in the summer so you maximize your trading potential. The only exception I would probably make is Aruba Gold, which is summer.

dr.debs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Marriott Shadow Ridge.

I am considering another TS for trading/use purposes. I would like something sunny and warm for spring break/ or winter use. I am looking for value from a MF perspective and trading. I live in the pacific NW so am considering:

Palm springs/desert area
Scottsdale etc...

I would also consider Whistler ski week (as we ski and I imagine this might be a good trader although I need to research this further)

Possibly Tahoe...

I would like to stay with the Marriott system, although would consider starwood as well...

Any suggestions? I have a 3 yo. DSV I vs II vs Desert ridge?

TSman

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. If the marriott execise the ROFR, do I get all the deposit back. Do you still pay the closing cost or get the refund. By the way, what is the process for purchasing the TS?

JimIg23

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should get all of your money back if they buy it back thru ROFR, but you have to verify it will a closing/escrow company before you pay. I have heard some TS seller (companies) charge "fees" which they might try to keep, but I have never had that problem.

Find a TS you want a bid and make an offer (verify the type of TS they are selling). Some Ebay sellers want to choose the closing companies, which some here agree to, but the 2 I have bought (non-ebay), I have chosen the closing company (There a few people here recommend) You should make sure your money goes into escrow before sale, and not into the sellers' hands, until the deed is transferred. Also, the contract should list exactly what you are buying the the closing company should verify it. Some people get title insurance, some don't. It sounds like after the deed transfers and the closing company sends the info to Marriott, it is taking over a month to transfer into your name.