• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on Getting out of Timeshare

mfrommm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Exploria
My husband and I bought a timeshare through Exploria in the poconos (PA) a few years back and we just physically can’t afford it anymore as he’s out of work and can’t afford to even take vacation time to use it. We had to stop paying the expo points at one point because we just can’t afford it.

When I spoke to Exploria they first of all didn’t want to help and told us we were on our own and then pointed us in the direction of a website to list the timeshare for sale and naively because we don’t know much about it, paid that website $700 to post our timeshare for sale over a year ago and have gotten no communication from them since and they told us no one is even clicking on our listing.

I guess my question is how do I go about selling this or getting rid of it so I am not continuing to owe it and pay for it when I financially just can’t? Is it even possible? We do owe on the expo points it has a balance as I said we can’t afford it so I will post all of that information below.

Information on our timeshare:

Pocono Mountain Villas by Exploria Resorts
Expo point balance: 3,210.12
Mortgage monthly payment: $164.85
Total owed on mortgage: 8,939.62

Please any advice is welcomed. We are willing to sell for $1 at this point even. Thank you in advance!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If you still owe on the timeshare you won't be able to sell it. You probably can't give it away either.

You can just stop paying, which would be a ding on your credit. I'm sorry you got directed into listing the timeshare for sale and having to pay to do so. The word of advice here is "No money up front".

Last edited:

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Default may be your best option. It is not likely you would find a buyer that would assume that mortgage. If you visit the "marketplace" by clicking on the dropdowns above and the click on the for sale and search for Pocono Mt Villas you will see a number of them listed from free to $395.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau

Please any advice is welcomed. We are willing to sell for $1 at this point even. Thank you in advance!
Your timeshare isn’t worth $1. It’s worth -$8,939.62. Your only option is to default. Also don’t falll for any timeshare exit companies promising to get you out. They are all scams.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
If you default (stop making the payments) the resort will take it back. It may take a year or so, and you will get some letters, but if you ignore them and stick to your guns, they will take it back and you will be done with it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I made this video for your EXACT story....I am very sorry you have been taken advantage of and given such awful advice sofar

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
My husband and I bought a timeshare through Exploria in the poconos (PA) a few years back and we just physically can’t afford it anymore as he’s out of work and can’t afford to even take vacation time to use it. We had to stop paying the expo points at one point because we just can’t afford it.

When I spoke to Exploria they first of all didn’t want to help and told us we were on our own and then pointed us in the direction of a website to list the timeshare for sale and naively because we don’t know much about it, paid that website $700 to post our timeshare for sale over a year ago and have gotten no communication from them since and they told us no one is even clicking on our listing.

I guess my question is how do I go about selling this or getting rid of it so I am not continuing to owe it and pay for it when I financially just can’t? Is it even possible? We do owe on the expo points it has a balance as I said we can’t afford it so I will post all of that information below.

Information on our timeshare:

Pocono Mountain Villas by Exploria Resorts
Expo point balance: 3,210.12
Mortgage monthly payment: $164.85

As noted above, you cannot sell it,you cannot give it away, and the resort will not take it back.

Since you state that you "can’t afford it anymore as he’s out of work" and "financially just can’t" pay it, there is really no question to ask or answer. Since you cannot pay it you won't, and eventually it will be foreclosed upon. Any other actions you take will just lead to a worse outcome.

mfrommm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Exploria
Thank you all for your help. We’ve decided to default after some thought to it and someone else sharing experience that they defaulted waited until it went into collections and paid off the collections instead which resulted in their credit still taking a hit but significantly less than it would’ve had they ignored the collections too. My problem is with Exploria is I’m not sure if they will allow me to pay off the collections or not as they are very shrewd. I guess my question is can we be sued if we stop making payments altogether and default and does anyone have any advice on if we default on the actual mortgage, if that will stop the maintenance fees also so we can stop being charged for them, and pay that balance off of the collections too? Thank you all for your help and advice it truly does help us and helped us make this decision.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the problem with paying off the collections, is that you still own the timeshare and next years dues would simply come due to you!

you should only pay if it results in the surrender of your ownership back to exploria.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Why pay off the collection effort? Would you be looking to pay a reduced settlement? If you're going to default, why not just default and let them later foreclose?

Blckrose2020

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village Patriots Inn
I am going through the same problem and I’m scared to default but I think it is the only option. My credit sucks anyway but I have been trying to fix it but now I might not be able to…

Blckrose2020

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village Patriots Inn
How much do you owe on the loan? Are you behind on MFs?
They actually gave us a cheap timeshare compared to what I seen on here. I owe 6.5 left and I’m not behind on my MF yet.