• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on getting out of HICV timeshare

Pink Floyd

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVIC in Myrtle beach SC
So long story short I purchased a timeshare with Holiday inn club vacations back in 2017. My wife at the time and myself were the owners of a property in myrtle beach. The original loan amount was $13000. A year or so after we had gotten locked into this deal we separated which ended in a divorce. I agreed to pick up the responsibility of the timeshare. However, we are still listed as co-owners. It was settled in court that she would omit financial obligations. Furthermore, after this I had taken a trip to a resort in Orlando Fl. had good time it was a nice 5 night stay, but it cost me 2 years worth of points. I went to a members meeting, and it seemed like all they wanted to do was discuss newer and better, also more expensive packages to replace my outdated package. I decided at that moment that the timeshare was no longer something I wanted to be apart of. I had discussed options for being released of the timeshare and just outright giving it back. I then got suckered into a time share exit scam that I heard endorsed on the radio. ( US Consumer Attorneys.) Stay away from these evil programs as most of you probably know it is a full out scam. I paid $4600 and was told that it could take 18 months but they would get me released from my timeshare or money back guarantee. Well around May-June of 2019 I was given a mission accomplished statement along with a quitclaim deed and told that the Titling company of the deed agreed to sign it back over into their possession. At this point I was told that I was no longer responsible for the timeshare. Of course, when I hired the attorney they had sent a letter of representation to holiday inn which prohibits them from contacting me. So as i'm under the impression that the timeshare is over. I'm really racking up some major past due balances. It wasn't known by me until a month ago when I applied for a home mortgage and saw on my credit report that I am several months and thousands of dollars behind on payments. I disputed this with experian. It came back accurate. So I reached out to holiday inn to find out whats going on. They wont talk to me until I have this attorneys office submit a letter of withdrawl. I called the attorney demanding answers and of course they feed me the same bs like before. I'm also looking into private counsel to try and recoup my money. Basically, from this point I just want to start paying off this timeshare and hopefully give it back to the developer and save my credit in the long run. It has been a major mistake and eye opener for me about the dangers with these things. Any advice out there would be appreciated.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are taking a step in the right direction, doing some research before throwing more money at your problem.

You really need to know for sure where you stand with your timeshare ownership.

It sounds like you defaulted on your timeshare and paid $4,600 to do it.

If you no longer own the timeshare, so there is nothing for you to pay back. You have saved $13K. If you don't know if you have gotten rid of it, you can try a deed search in the county you own the timreshare in.

As for getting your money back, do you mean from the attorney who got you out of the 13K debt? If you are having trouble with an attorney, you can try contacting the Bar association in the state where they practice for help.

In the end, it just looks like you defaulted and you will have the stain on your credit score for a while. Rebuilding your credit might be your next thing to research.

Pink Floyd

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVIC in Myrtle beach SC
You are taking a step in the right direction, doing some research before throwing more money at your problem.

You really need to know for sure where you stand with your timeshare ownership.

It sounds like you defaulted on your timeshare and paid $4,600 to do it.

If you no longer own the timeshare, so there is nothing for you to pay back. You have saved $13K. If you don't know if you have gotten rid of it, you can try a deed search in the county you own the timreshare in.

As for getting your money back, do you mean from the attorney who got you out of the 13K debt? If you are having trouble with an attorney, you can try contacting the Bar association in the state where they practice for help.

In the end, it just looks like you defaulted and you will have the stain on your credit score for a while. Rebuilding your credit might be your next thing to research.
The attorney only got a quit claim deed and told me the property was transferred. Holiday inn is claiming that they do not agree to the transfer unless the mortgage is paid and fees are caught up. The deception is that the attorney told me that I was off the hook and no longer financially responsible for this time share. I'm definitely going to contact the bar about him it seems there plan to get me out of this thing was for the timeshare to forclose on me. I checked with the deed register in the county of the timeshare and they said I can order a copy but they couldn't say over the phone . I know my credit is impacted and will need some time to fix but luckily this was caught by me before it got worse. In the end I'm hoping I can just pay off the timeshare and hand it back over to the developer because they are crooks too. Thanks for your insight

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to contact the bar about him it seems there plan to get me out of this thing was for the timeshare to forclose on me.

Yes, sadly that's how a lot of these law firms and exit/cancel/relief companies work. The sad part is that they dupe their customers into thinking that they are working hard to get the customers out of their timeshare ownerships. Even worse is that, after an owner loses the TS due to foreclosure, the exit companies claim a "success".

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stay away from these evil programs as most of you probably know it is a full out scam....Any advice out there would be appreciated.

That mantra has been emphasized for years here on TUG. Your experience that you are telling us is something we hear of every week here. As for any advice that you are seeking, first off, how much do you have left owing on the mortgage and the MFs?

Pink Floyd

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVIC in Myrtle beach SC
That mantra has been emphasized for years here on TUG. Your experience that you are telling us is something we hear of every week here. As for any advice that you are seeking, first off, how much do you have left owing on the mortgage and the MFs?
Yes I’m realizing that now. Had I done my due diligence in the first place I could have avoided this mess. Anyways. I owe $13400 on my Timeshare and 700 or so on maintenance. I’m hoping to start paying this down in the upcoming month. I need a letter of withdrawal from the attorney so holiday inn will dea directly with me again. End result is that I can pay everything off and the developer agree on taking the deed over from me and relieve me of any further responsibilities.