• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice for future Snowbird options

jenmcnitt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Though I'm not able to do this quite yet, I want to start to think about Snowbirding options for the future.

I'm currently 50 so I have a ways before I'm able to retire. My employer does allow us to work away from the home office for up to 6 weeks at a time though. I can't be away that long from my elderly father right now, but I want to start to investigate my options for the future.

I currently own a Grandview 2 bedroom deeded week. I've had it since 2005 so I'm fairly familiar with RCI, maintenance fees, etc. A few of my favorite timeshare locations I've gone to include several timeshares in Florida, NE Mexico, California, and Arizona. I also enjoy going to Europe, but haven't used a timeshare trade for any of these trips.

What I'm wondering is if I should build on what I already have with Grandview and look for Grandview resale weeks or if I should just continue to only use TPU I have and then use Extra or Last Call vacations for additional weeks. Another thought is should I just look into monthly vacation home rentals instead? For those that do this, what do you find is more cost effective?

Finally, I'm also a Disney fan and was sad when the Disney resorts moved away from RCI to II. I enjoyed my stay at Disney's Saratoga Springs last year. I've stayed at several non-Disney Orlando resorts and the I liked the convenience (and perks) of staying at a Disney resort.

I'm not at all familiar with the II system though and how it compares to RCI. Would it make sense to look for a low maintenance fee II resort (maybe like The Village at Izatys here in MN?) to gain access to Disney's II resort inventory (along with other options that RCI may not have)?

Thank you for your input!

Scarface74

Reaction score
How often do you want to stay in Florida? I own a condotel in Florida. Which means I own the entire unit. You buy it as a standard commercial condo unit. We live there from October - March and pay the resort less than $700 that covers everything - utilities, access to amenities (3 pools), a lake, a running trail, and a restaurant on site. When we aren’t there, it’s put into a rental pool and we get half the income.

It’s enough to cover the mortgage (we put 30% down) and the aforementioned fee.

But only because we stay there during the low season. It’s our only “home” so paying the mortgage when we are there is just like paying your mortgage anywhere else.

We travel the rest of the year. Of course, if the mortgage is paid off, it would be cash flow positive when we aren’t there.

Be careful though and do your own research. They can be a money sink and the resort will never tell you income history or potential income. They legally can’t without running afoul of SEC restrictions.

I can’t recommend this to most people. But alternatively, why deal with a timeshare or Condotel at all and just rent AirBnBs in different cities for a month of you don’t want the commitment?

Eggrollcreative

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Elara, Worldmark, Seagull Beach Club, Vacation Internationale
Check out myrtle beach for snowbird rentals. Their high season is the summer so they have great deals for a condo on the beach December, Jan, Feb and if you stay more than three months they waive the tourist tax. Love that place! Cheap living!