• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice for a noob

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since there so many independent resort groups and the trading power for each resort within a group is different, it's a lot of footwork study and I don't know if the time taken to know all the different terms and conditions and then the best way to work them to advantage will be worth it.

It could be argued that you can't afford not to know everything about a resort and how best to work ownership to your advantage before taking it on.

aloe_vera

Reaction score
It could be argued that you can't afford not to know everything about a resort and how best to work ownership to your advantage before taking it on.

Point well taken :)

I would certainly be doing research on the ones I like so I utilize it well, it is just that having never owned a timeshare, it is a bit overwhelming to understand EVERY system just based on theory and others' experience. As such, I have to figure out everything from acronyms to verbiage that gets thrown at me. :confused:

e.bram

Reaction score
Don't count on buying a prime unit, prime time, with high trading power cheaply!
Easier to find the "Holy Grail". We(TUGers) are all looking for that.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Point well taken :)

I would certainly be doing research on the ones I like so I utilize it well, it is just that having never owned a timeshare, it is a bit overwhelming to understand EVERY system just based on theory and others' experience. As such, I have to figure out everything from acronyms to verbiage that gets thrown at me. :confused:

You are absolutely correct. There are so many different timeshare options, that it can be overwhelming, and essentially impossible, to learn it all. So narrow it down first:

Look at who has what you want. You can always trade into these, but it's easier and cheaper to own where you want to go. Trading comes with exchange fees and membership fees so if you are a bargain hunter, then opt to own vs trade. You won't find a system that has everything, but look for who has the most so you are trading the least.

The best one stop shop for looking at the various resorts are the exchange company websites. RCI (rci.com) and II (intervalworld.com) are the 2 big ones and have pretty much all the timeshares represented in one or the other. Look at the areas you want and see which resorts are there. Look in particular for who has the only resort in a particular area; that will be the hardest to trade into. Then focus on those systems. If you can narrow it down to just a couple, it makes your job of deciding which ones fit much easier.

You mentioned Sedona and Flagstaff: Wyndham has the only (I think) resort in Flagstaff and also has one in Sedona. However, the two cities are close enough that staying in Sedona is close enough. I'd look for an independent resort in Sedona and buy a every other year (EOY) during a school holiday week. That will provide a good local getaway as well as an excellent trader. Having access to the VRI internal exchange would be a real plus.
Worldmark has the most resorts near the national parks in the west so you might look at getting a small account. One of the pluses for WM is the ability to rent credits; i.e. an owner that can't use their credits this year will transfer these credits to your account for one time use. You can see the going rate and recommended resellers at http://wmowners.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=91. You can rent in additional credits as needed for trading or booking without incurring additional maintenance fees.
WM is also a good trader. Look at http://wmowners.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=90 for information on what trades WM owners have gotten. You can deposit first with II and try for a real bargain by depositing a low season week and hope to trade up; but this has gotten much more difficult and risky. OR you can just do a request first and have a very strong chance of getting most anything you want, within reason. By the latter, I mean you won't get a week that isn't deposited or gets out of preference in the home system.

Sue

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Exchanging within the resort system is always free, right? Whether it is WM, VRI or Wyndham/Marriott? You only pay an exchange fee plus the membership fee when you use RCI or II to exchange into other resort systems?

Not always- perhaps 'free exchanges within one system' is more the exception than rule. Iirc, WM is a no extra charge, because there is no deeded 'home' resort per se. I know I may be over- or under stating what I don't understand, but I call those type outfits 'Travel Clubs'. You 'own' a portion of the whole shebang, as opposed to owning a deeded 1/50th or 1/52 of a particular unit. They then value each ownership as a bundle of 'points' that owner/members use as currency. The value of different weeks varies in cost as does each night of a week (Fri/Sat 'cost' more than Tues/Wed/Thur. nights). A 2 bedroom unit takes more points per night than a 1 bedroom unit.

My point is that there is a cost to exchanging. whether it's to an exchange company or to each resort.

I can only speak with some knowledge to VRI, and there IS a charge per exchange. It's around $100 for internal VRIety exchanges, and you can upsize for a small charge- of course based on availability, and that's where that extra month of priority comes in handy.

One other thing bothering me about your queries is that you mention 'traveling light and at last minute.' Timeshares don't work well within that mindset. They work best for obsessive planners. If this truly describes you, save your money, and just watch the 'Last Minute Rentals' Forum. Those are straight-up rentals that for one reason or other become available within 45 days of move-in, and are always priced at less than $100 a night- and usually (but not always) for a week.

I'm sure we've touched most of the points, based on what you said your needs/wants were. Now you can sit down with your spouse and hash it out.

Take care....

Jim

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exchanging within the resort system is always free, right? Whether it is WM, VRI or Wyndham/Marriott? You only pay an exchange fee plus the membership fee when you use RCI or II to exchange into other resort systems?

We've rented a camper once and can't say we liked the experience of finding water hook ups and the black water maintenance on it. Plus, it's not always that we can drive out to a distant national park. We have no where to park it when not using it (which is most of the year) and would have to spend additional money to park it somewhere. Overall in our opinion, the hassle is not worth it. We tend to travel light and quick.

I can only answer for the Wyndham membership. I don't pay a fee to use my points at a Wyndham resort...unless I have used all my reservation transactions or need additional housekeeping credits. My annual fees include the maintenances fees plus a Wyndham program fee and that fee includes the annual RCI fee whether I use RCI or not. Wyndham has a whole directory full of great resorts.

I fully understand what you're saying about using a camper. It's awkward and always more work for Mom. At least you were smart enough to rent a camper and don't have one rotting in your driveway :wall::ignore:

Last edited: