• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Accessed TUG on a Playstation 3

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
My son bought himself a Playstation 3 this week and tonight he showed us how you can access the internet with it. He pulled up TUG on the tv with it. This machine is really amazing--it's a game console, plays Blu-ray DVD's, connects to the internet through the wireless internet in our house, and my son says you can load photos onto it. You can even rent or buy movies on it and you can download video game demos to try out before buying the game.

He is currently pulling up music videos of my favorite singers/musicians on YouTube. This is way cool! My son was commenting that this would be an ideal machine for a college student because it's a game console, computer, dvd player. It has 80 gb of space on it. One of his friends said there was a way to modify it to actually be a pc and there's some kind of keyboard you can attach to the controller.

There's a way to play games with friends online if they have the same machine.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's another thing you can do with it.

On the PC where you have your music, videos, movies, etc, enable media sharing in Windows Media Player. Then on the PS3, you can tell it to look for media servers and you can play anything in real time that's on the PC over your home network. You can also choose to download media to it from that PC. But just streaming it via windows media player works well.

It is one cool little box. I pretty much just use it just as my dvd/blu-ray player, and when it's not doing anything, it runs folding@home.

-David

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
when it's not doing anything, it runs folding@home.
Wow! I looked at the website for Folding@Home and what they are doing there is way over my head. But, I am constantly being amazed at what technology and science is accomplishing. I'm thankful there are people out there smart enough to figure out these things.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! I looked at the website for Folding@Home and what they are doing there is way over my head. But, I am constantly being amazed at what technology and science is accomplishing. I'm thankful there are people out there smart enough to figure out these things.

Too cool. There's another similar astronomy project - analyzing data from space looking for particular types of signals, I think.

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My son bought himself a Playstation 3 this week and tonight he showed us how you can access the internet with it. He pulled up TUG on the tv with it. This machine is really amazing--it's a game console, plays Blu-ray DVD's, connects to the internet through the wireless internet in our house, and my son says you can load photos onto it. You can even rent or buy movies on it and you can download video game demos to try out before buying the game.

He is currently pulling up music videos of my favorite singers/musicians on YouTube. This is way cool! My son was commenting that this would be an ideal machine for a college student because it's a game console, computer, dvd player. It has 80 gb of space on it. One of his friends said there was a way to modify it to actually be a pc and there's some kind of keyboard you can attach to the controller.

There's a way to play games with friends online if they have the same machine.

Let me get this straight. A Playstation 3 will play Blue Ray DVD's, games, access the internet, etc?

Our DVD is dead, and a Blue Ray DVD player is very expensive. If this device does it all, I'm going to have to put the darn WII I got for Christmas last year on Craig's list. This is a much more practical alternative.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I believe only the "premium" version of the ps3 will do all of that...but yes.

Its definately on my list of things to get during xmas :D

anyone try to browse to netflix.com and watch a movie online using the ps3 browser? that would just be beautiful =)

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's a premium PS3? They all include a BD-ROM drive, a hard drive, usb, bluetooth, and both wired and wireless internet. The xbox is the one where you have to buy some of that stuff as an add-on, and xbox doesn't support BD as far as I know.

The basic 80G PS3 for $399 does it all. Internet, games, CD/DVD/BD player and media center, all at 1080p. (It will do lower resolutions if you need it to, of course.)

You should also buy the Bluetooth/Blu Ray remote for around $20 if you want to use it as an optical disk player. You don't have to, but it's a lot easier to use the BD Remote for controlling it than the standard game controller that comes with it. The remote uses bluetooth and the base unit doesn't have an IR receiver, so without mods, you can't use a basic universal remote.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000M17AVO/

I don't remember if mine came with an HDMI cable or not. You might need one. If you do get it from monoprice.com

For netflix, I'm waiting for the new partnership with tivo to go live. For netflix on the PS3, you'll have to try something called PlayOn, I think. I've never looked into it since the PS3 and my tivo are connected to the same TV.

http://www.themediamall.com/playon

I literally just use my PS3 as a DVD/BD player. I've never played a single game on it. I've seen cheaper BD players at Costco these days, but when I bought mine it was the best option if you just wanted a BD player, plus it's software upgradeable via the internet so it can support newer BD profiles are they are released.

The added plus is that I let it run folding@home when it's not doing anything else. It doesn't get hot enough to run the fans at high speed when running f@h, unless the vents need dusting. It's very quiet. Mine is next to the tv in my bedroom, and I never hear the fans at all, unless, like I said, the vents need their annual dusting.

-David

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so its a proprietary browswer within the ps3? booo

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
so its a proprietary browswer within the ps3? booo

Compared to what? It's an appliance.

It doesn't run windoze, and it's a cell processor, Brian. But you can install linux on the PS3 if you want to, right from the remote. I don't know why you'd want to, but you can.

It's really a great box.

Personally, I don't use it for it's internet browser. But internet access is handy for a lot of other things on it.

-David

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I was just looking at getting another 360 for use in a separate room to replace a dvd player and having access to netflix online movies.

However the PS3 would fit the bill just fine if it could browse to netflix.com and use the site through its browser...plus id get a blu-ray player as well.

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though blu ray players are coming down in price, we were looking at the PS3 all along for it's blu ray qualities. If I remember correctly, I believe that the PS3 is one of the few blu ray devices that can play almost all formats of blu-ray. You can also buy the cheaper version and upgrade the hard drive as easily as you would change out a CD/DVD rom on a laptop! :eek: Then, of course, there is still all the other things you can do that a regular blu ray won't do.:cheer:

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at getting another 360 for use in a separate room to replace a dvd player and having access to netflix online movies.

However the PS3 would fit the bill just fine if it could browse to netflix.com and use the site through its browser...plus id get a blu-ray player as well.

You mean you want to watch via the PS3 as you might on a pc? xbox does netflix natively. You know that, right?

Look at the link I posted above for playon. It streams netflex, and a bunch of other formats from the PC to the PS3, xbox, etc. netflix seems to be doing deals with everybody, so maybe they will eventually do a deal with Sony too.

Also, anything you can play with WMP can be streamed to the PS3 natively. The capability is built-in to the PS3, and in WMP if you enable it.

You might also consider the roku/netflix player for $99. Or just get a tivo HD or HD XL and a PS3 :)

-David

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
You mean you want to watch via the PS3 as you might on a pc?

yes

xbox does netflix natively. You know that, right?

ive downloaded the "tool" to allow this, but its absolutely horrible and you spend more time trying to get it to work than actually watching the movie.

However I am aware that this months dashboard update is supposed to integrate this much better.

That said, there is no browser on an xbox 360 that ive seen....unlike the playstation. It also doesnt have the ability to play blu-ray (which ill admit i dont actually need...but wouldnt mind having since that seems to be the future)

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have both an Xbox 360 and a Playstation 3.

In my opinion the Playstate 3 is a horrible machine, I am sorry I didn't buy a second XBOX (The PS3 is in my bedroom).

First, the print on the web browser is so small, it is unreadable. I sit about 8' from a 42" 1080P HD TV and can't read it (with or without my glasses) and I have to move within 4' to read it. This make it totally useless for any purposes.

Second, the menus and operation of everything on the PS3 is poorly laid out and doesn't flow well (e.g. When you finish an operation, on the xbox, you hit a key and it moves you forward. When you finish an operation on the PS3, you have to hit the back key to go back through all the menus, before you can move forward)

Third, Installation of demos, updates or game data takes FOREVER. A Demo installation take like 10 or 15 minutes, after you finished downloading it. As I don't get as much playing time as I would like, I hate to spend it waiting for the machine.

In addition, I am not that interested in the blue-ray player. While the picture is nice, it is not that much better than an upscaled DVD movie (In my opinion - I know some will argue that all day), and most people would not even notice the difference. Sadly, the Blue-ray discs do not come with anything that works in a regular or upscaling DVD player. Therefore it is useless to me, as most discs I buy are for my daughters and the only Blue-ray player is the one in my bedroom.

Overall, I think that unless Blue-Ray is important to you (important enough that you would buy a seperate player), the PS3 is a waste.

Joe

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
First, the print on the web browser is so small, it is unreadable.
There's an easy way to enlarge the font from the hand-held controller. It's similar to the way you can enlarge the font on your computer by holding down the control key and scrolling with the little button on the mouse.

My son discovered it on the controller when we noticed the small font. I'm clueless about how everything works on the PS3 as I just sit back and marvel at what my son shows me, but if you could find someone to show you how all the stuff works maybe it would be more useful to you.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's an easy way to enlarge the font from the hand-held controller. It's similar to the way you can enlarge the font on your computer by holding down the control key and scrolling with the little button on the mouse.

My son discovered it on the controller when we noticed the small font. I'm clueless about how everything works on the PS3 as I just sit back and marvel at what my son shows me, but if you could find someone to show you how all the stuff works maybe it would be more useful to you.

You are right, that if someone can show you how to use something properly, you can get more use out of it. But it just backs up my comment about the PS3 menus. I am a fairly savy user of computers, I once built my own PC from parts I ordered. It is not like I am my parents who couldn't figure out how to program a VCR to save their life.

It shouldn't be so difficult or set up the way it is. It should be more user friendly, which is an aspect of the PS3 that is completely missing.

Joe

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Joe,

A lot of people really like the xbox. A lot more people have purchased the xbox than have purchased the PS3. A lot more people have purchased the Wii than either of them and that's not very intuitive at first either.

I love my PS3. I don't use it as a web browser. Personally I find it very easy to use. The PS3 button should always get you back to the main menu. Yes, I had to learn that the circle means go-back or exit when I first got it, even though it tells you that when you first connect it and set it up.

Vive la diference, eh?

And we won't even argue about BD quality and format vs DVD upscaling player quality/format on a 1080p TV, ok?

-David

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kurt, they must have fixed it because now it says pick 4 from this list of 9.:)