• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

AC question during Flexchange

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried finding this on FAQ and searching to no avail I thought I had learned everything there is to know about AC's but am confused on how to use during Flexchange. Here is my question:

I was granted an AC for my 7/2009 1BR unit at Aurba Surf Club. I just went online to II and tried to exchange the AC in the next 59 days and was given a list of all available properties (which was quite a lot!). Lo and behold the US Virgin Islands/St. Thomas was listed so I clicked on it. The next screen to come up was the Exchange Request Details with the checkboxes with up to six options. Virgin Islands is unfortunately not a choice so I could not proceed. When I clicked on another choice (Lake Tahoe) I went right to the available TS without going to the checkbox screen.

So correct me if I am wrong...during Flexchange EVERY destination is not available to me, correct? Even though on the first screen it has some destinations listed I do not have access to all of them...even during Flexchange. So bottom line is I can not ever use my AC in the Virgin Islands, St. Kitts, and Hilton Head Island (except for Nov-Feb in the case of HHI).

I guess I was under the impression that during Flexchange ANY exchange was fair game when using an AC.

I hope I am making sense here...

Thanks,

Marc

Last edited:

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Marriott AC that was able to pull:

Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
MFC
St. Thomas , VI , US VIRGIN ISL. Resort Details & Photos
Sep 21 2008 - Sep 28 2008 2 6 8 268

Marriott's St. Kitt's Beach Club
MSK
Frigate Bay , ST.KITTS/NEVIS Resort Details & Photos
Sep 06 2008 - Sep 13 2008 2 6 8 268

Sep 13 2008 - Sep 20 2008 2 6 8 268

Oct 18 2008 - Oct 25 2008 2 6 8 268

I searched for all destinations using earliest travel date as tomorrow and latest travel date as 10/19/08.

You should be able to see all the destinations you mentioned.

The only time you see the grid is when you are searching outside the 60 day window.

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marc-
When searching online with an AC you need to make sure your dates are 59 days or less. If you put in a search for longer than that, you'll get the grid where you pick destinations. Check your dates and try it again.

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marc-
When searching online with an AC you need to make sure your dates are 59 days or less. If you put in a search for longer than that, you'll get the grid where you pick destinations. Check your dates and try it again.

I just tried that using the AC with the dates 8/27 (tomorrow) thru 10/19/08...same as Lora above and well within 59 days. On the first screen it lists Destinations Available for Exchange WHICH INCLUDES ST. THOMAS!!! When I click on St. Thomas it takes me to the Page with the grid which does not have St. Thomas listed at all.

Am I still doing something wrong???

Thanks.

Last edited:

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just tried that using the AC with the dates 8/26 (today) thru 10/18/08...well within 59 days. On the first screen it lists Destinations Available for Exchange WHICH INCLUDES ST. THOMAS!!! When I click on St. Thomas it takes me to the Page with the grid which does not have St. Thomas listed at all.

Am I still doing something wrong???

Thanks.

Strange, can't figure that out! I've had the problem you indicate when I put in dates beyond 59 days. However once I change the date to make sure it's within Flexchange I'm searching it shows me everything. Maybe you should call II if you want to book a week?

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Strange, can't figure that out! I've had the problem you indicate when I put in dates beyond 59 days. However once I change the date to make sure it's within Flexchange I'm searching it shows me everything. Maybe you should call II if you want to book a week?

I actually just changed the dates to 8/27 thru 9/30 and still saw St Thomas and St Kitts but again got the grid screen after clicking on either. I guess I can call II but I was wondering if anyone had any explanation.

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Continuing my saga....I just called II and am currently on hold with the Marriott desk and internet support. They just told me that there are two types of AC's offered....with one type you can view ANYTHING during Flexchange and the other type you can just view the grid AT ALL TIMES. She told me its up to your particular resort on which type is offered.

II is telling me that this particular AC is a limited AC with Grid access only...even during Flexchange.

Has anyone heard of this???? Last year I can tell you that this did not happen and I have never heard of this.

Thanks.

Last edited:

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this question Marc as I just got an AC for my 2009 Aruba deposit. I am going to see if I have the same problem and will post back.
Sue

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just tried with my AC and was able to pull up St Kitts, Frenchman Reef and Maui for Sept. Are you certain you are doing the search correctly? Ask Interval to help if it is not coming up.

Sue

tiger1210

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too just tried to do a 59 day or less with my AC and pulled up many properties, plus St Marteen and St Kitts. I guess I don't have that 2nd kind of AC!! What's up with that anyway? Just like almost everything anymore, we live in a "class" society.

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this question Marc as I just got an AC for my 2009 Aruba deposit. I am going to see if I have the same problem and will post back.
Sue

I just asked the rep to give me back my deposited week since I did not know about the two different AC's. She just talked to her supervisor and as a courtesy will give it back to me.

She mentioned that in the future when I make a deposit ask the II rep what type of AC is being offered...one allows a trade during Flexchange ANYWHERE with no grid and one that allows you to trade using only the grid at all times.

She told me its up to the resort what type of AC to issue but again you should be asking II what type before depositing.

Was anyone aware of this two grid system???

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marc,
Maybe you should clear your cache, cookies and history in Internet Explorer and try again. Something doesn't sound right. If that still doesn't work, call II back and speak to a different agent. You may get a different answer.

Terry

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marc,
Maybe you should clear your cache, cookies and history in Internet Explorer and try again. Something doesn't sound right. If that still doesn't work, call II back and speak to a different agent. You may get a different answer.

Terry

Terry unfortunately at tihs point I just received my week back from II thus forfeiting the AC. They were nice enough (note the sarcasm) to give me the week back without penalty.

Perhaps I will try to re-deposit with II and ask in advance about the AC category it will result in.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I too would be very upset at such a limited AC with my deposit of Waiohai. Sorry it did not work out.

Terry

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am really confused because I depositied my 1 bedroom oceanside at the Surf Club for Aug 09 and I am not closed out on those dates. This is the same property isn't it?

Sue

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am really confused because I depositied my 1 bedroom oceanside at the Surf Club for Aug 09 and I am not closed out on those dates. This is the same property isn't it?

Sue

What is frustrating is that my deposit was also a 1BR Oceanside but what I think is a better date than you deposited...July 4th week 2009. I think what I am going to do is to call II tomorrow and attempt to deposit the 1BR again for an AC. I will ask in advance of depositing if the AC will qualify during Flexchange for anything and not have the grid to contend with.

I am curious if Dave M. or any of the other Marriott experts have heard of the AC "classes".

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marc-

Every AC I've ever received for a Marriott deposit has been good for almost anything during Flexchange.

There have been some restrictions on resorts, for example I wasn't able to book Franz Klammer Lodge with an AC. I tried twice and ended up using a Marriott week instead. However another Tugger told me she was able to get FKL with an AC. II told me it was the FKL that placed the restriction, they didn't want anyone trading in with an AC.

AC's can be great, but also somewhat difficult. Good luck with getting a better AC with your deposit. It sounds like they gave you something much more restrictive than it should have been for a Marriott Aruba July 4 week!

Good luck!

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marc-

Every AC I've ever received for a Marriott deposit has been good for almost anything during Flexchange.

There have been some restrictions on resorts, for example I wasn't able to book Franz Klammer Lodge with an AC. I tried twice and ended up using a Marriott week instead. However another Tugger told me she was able to get FKL with an AC. II told me it was the FKL that placed the restriction, they didn't want anyone trading in with an AC.

AC's can be great, but also somewhat difficult. Good luck with getting a better AC with your deposit. It sounds like they gave you something much more restrictive than it should have been for a Marriott Aruba July 4 week!

Good luck!
I understand your point but its not like I cannot see certain resorts...I cannot even get certain destinations without seeing the f'ing grid!!!