• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A few Frenchmans Cove questions

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
We are headed there next week for a special deal we got to visit as owners--last minute cancellation last year due to Whipple surgery for my husband. What sorts of things do they have in the market there? I assume milk/creamer/eggs? We plan on bringing things to grill but just need some basics like that to buy and seems a waste to use a grocery service for that.
Going with another couple -- our friend turning 70 so want to do a casual dinner outside somewhere--any suggestions? Not doing a car as we plan to just stay mostly at the resort as we have gone to St John and St Thomas many times--just need a relaxing, do nothing sit on the beach trip after a tough year.
We do need to do a presentation for getting the $99 deal and I assume it is about points so wonder if others have done this and found it beneficial? We own Harborside at Atlantis and that is points based but have found using the points going to places is nearly impossible and with the fees there and since we love it there isn't bothered. But hate to pay money to transfer to points when we also like St Thomas--and we own with my brother so we go every other year anyway==he doesn't want to do it so the cost will be all ours.
Thanks so much for any information you can provide!

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Banana Tree Grille for the 70th Birthday dinner. Fantastic view, great food. You get a free peach mimosa with the owner's card given by MFC.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a casual outside dinner I would recommend;

Mims
Fresh
Banana Tree Grille
Oceana
Grand Cru
Island View Guesthouse (open Thurs-Sat dinner only)
Mafolie (best view)

If I had to pick just one it would be Oceana. Pricey but there are also moderately priced items on the menu. They all have websites so you can look at the menus and the views before you go.

I usually eat once at the Sunset Grill at the Reef. Nice atmosphere but service and food are hit or miss.
Havana Blue at Morningstar has nice outside views. Some like it I don't care for it.

Actually just about all the restaurants on St Thomas are casual dress. Shorts and a collared shirt will get you admitted anywhere I've been.

As far as buying the basics I would make a list of what you need and send 1 person in a taxi to Gourmet Galley or Pueblo to shop. It'll be $12 R/T. The stuff in the resort market is fresh but it's ridiculously marked up. They have pretty good bread though.

As far as taking in the show it's not bad just don't ask too many questions and practice saying "No thank you" a lot before going. I go every year and have not had a bad experience. They do keep us for the full 90 minutes each time. If you argue with them you'll be there 2 hours or more.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
banana tree grill is closed--looks awesome though==will check the others out!

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are headed there next week for a special deal we got to visit as owners--last minute cancellation last year due to Whipple surgery for my husband. What sorts of things do they have in the market there? I assume milk/creamer/eggs? We plan on bringing things to grill but just need some basics like that to buy and seems a waste to use a grocery service for that.
Going with another couple -- our friend turning 70 so want to do a casual dinner outside somewhere--any suggestions? Not doing a car as we plan to just stay mostly at the resort as we have gone to St John and St Thomas many times--just need a relaxing, do nothing sit on the beach trip after a tough year.
We do need to do a presentation for getting the $99 deal and I assume it is about points so wonder if others have done this and found it beneficial? We own Harborside at Atlantis and that is points based but have found using the points going to places is nearly impossible and with the fees there and since we love it there isn't bothered. But hate to pay money to transfer to points when we also like St Thomas--and we own with my brother so we go every other year anyway==he doesn't want to do it so the cost will be all ours.
Thanks so much for any information you can provide!

We're heading to MFC in October and were wondering whether anyplace on the property, whether at MFC or the hotel portion (Reef?), has a buffet breakfast similar to the one found in Aruba? If not, what's the best place on property (timeshare or hotel) to go for breakfast?

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the info that BTG is closed? It's attached to a timeshare and it's one of the most popular restaurants on the island both with locals and tourists.

I think it's closed for September, reopening in October.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both the Reef and the Cove have a buffet breakfast. The Cove is about $25 and they only do it FRI-SAT-SUN I believe. They have ala carte breakfast everyday. The Reef is a few bucks more but it is more elaborate. I think the Reef is everyday. Not sure if Morningstar does one or not.

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both the Reef and the Cove have a buffet breakfast. The Cove is about $25 and they only do it FRI-SAT-SUN I believe. They have ala carte breakfast everyday. The Reef is a few bucks more but it is more elaborate. I think the Reef is everyday. Not sure if Morningstar does one or not.

Thanks for the info!

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Their web site said they were closed till October 11th.

Powerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
A coupe of new places and changes. Margaritaville bar has great margaritas and appetizers. Gated access with very friendly person at gate that gives you parking pass and directions. Make sure to bring coupons from St. Thomas this week magazine for free drink. Melt in Red Hook for good tacos and drinks. Lindquist Beach now charges more for parking and entrance but has new bathrooms with outside fresh water showers which are worth the added price. Had subpar food at Coco Joes and Sunset Grill at Frenchman's Reef hotel. Sunset Grill at MFC was really good. Sunset Grill at Secret Harbour was excellent.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
chalk me up for one that didnt enjoy sunset grill at the reef....

food was terribly average...and the view at night is pretty much...well...night.

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
A coupe of new places and changes. Margaritaville bar has great margaritas and appetizers. Gated access with very friendly person at gate that gives you parking pass and directions. Make sure to bring coupons from St. Thomas this week magazine for free drink. Melt in Red Hook for good tacos and drinks. Lindquist Beach now charges more for parking and entrance but has new bathrooms with outside fresh water showers which are worth the added price. Had subpar food at Coco Joes and Sunset Grill at Frenchman's Reef hotel. Sunset Grill at MFC was really good. Sunset Grill at Secret Harbour was excellent.
Thanks for the updates. A couple questions. Do they have chair and umbrella rentals at Lindquist? Also, is the Margaritaville bar on the water? Thanks

Powerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates. A couple questions. Do they have chair and umbrella rentals at Lindquist? Also, is the Margaritaville bar on the water? Thanks

There are chair rentals at Lindquist but no umbrellas. There is a lot of shaded areas to slide your chair back to if you need shade. Margaritaville bar is next to the water with a great view up the bay.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Would the late week in August or the first two (2) weeks in September be a good time to visit the island?
We do not like crowds and I know this is consider hurricane season.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also there is a bar/grill right on the beach down below the MFR....we thought it was outstanding. outdoors...right on the beach itself...literally steps from the water.

is quite a hike up/down many stairs to get down to the beach from the resort thru the endless fields of iguanas though!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also there is a bar/grill right on the beach down below the MFR....we thought it was outstanding. outdoors...right on the beach itself...literally steps from the water.

is quite a hike up/down many stairs to get down to the beach from the resort thru the endless fields of iguanas though!

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Would the late week in August or the first two (2) weeks in September be a good time to visit the island?
We do not like crowds and I know this is consider hurricane season.

I would buy trip insurance. The temperatures only vary by < 10 deg year round so the warmer months are not bad but I do prefer the cooler months. I guess the biggest attraction to the winter months is escaping cold temps at home. As you suggest the crowds will be less which is nice and the only effect might be some shops/restaraunts/market closings which IMHO = no effect.