• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A call from my granddaughter

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all, I don’t have a granddaughter, just little grandsons who call me through messenger kids.
yesterday I received a call on my landline from a young woman who called me grandma. I went along with it and she didn’t give out her name, but tried to get me to say the name. So I said is this Emily, who was the kids nanny a few years ago. yes it was Emily, my granddaughter. I was waiting to hear what disaster had befallen her, meanwhile acting very happy to hear from her. I guess she got tired of the game, because she hung up on me.
this was quite different than the call from my unnamed grandson,who even though he was only six, was standing up for a wedding in the Caribbean and had someone else’s coat with drugs in the pocket and needed my help.
what a far cry from the days when my students would call and ask if my refrigerator was running .................

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Crazy. I have heard of these scams but luckily have never received a call like this.

geekette

Reaction score
My mother keeps getting calls like this, but instead of thinking why wouldn't they call their rich dad, she immediately gets concerned and thinks it is true. Luckily she doesn't have any money to give.

Bad people suck. They should go make an honest living instead of trying to dupe others out of their money.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Bad people suck. They should go make an honest living instead of trying to dupe others out of their money.

^^^^^This ^^^^^

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Poor “Emily.” She must be in dire straits, to have to beg for money like that. The scams must be working, or they wouldn’t keep trying them, right?

I don’t have a landline anymore, and all calls not on my contact list go direct to voicemail. I see odd numbers have called, but only a few legit callers leave a message.

Dave

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
There will always be scammers and new scams. Sad, these people should get a real job. Unfortunately they must be grabbing an innocent soul here and there :(

I don't answer my phone unless it's a number I recognize/waiting for a call.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I get calls from "Microsoft" telling me they've identified a problem with my "Windows" all the time. Lately the calls from "Social Security" telling me my number is going to be cancelled and they're taking me to court have started. Sometimes I hang up, other times I recite verbiage I may have seen in a Harlequin Romance novel, and get them to hang up ;)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received the call from Social Security telling my number has been cancelled. I said "that's too bad; thank you for letting me know. Goodbye". Then I hung up.

Never heard another thing from the caller as I thought he would call back to work his scam.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My mother got a call like this years ago. A man called and said something like "we have your daughter". She did say my name so the guy went on from there. He didn't want money, he wanted to know what Mom was wearing. She did keep him on the line while she had my younger sister go next door and call me at work from the neighbor's house (this was WAY before cell phones). Once Mom knew I was fine and at work where I was supposed to be she got off the phone with the creep.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a call recently about my winning of the lotto. I played along and had so much fun allowing this guy to think he found his next victim. I'd make him repeat things like 5 times and told I was ready to send my $15k check to him. He tells me to call my bank to make sure I have the funds so i made him think I had plenty and to win the big prize i would send more. These guys obviously aren't the sharpest tool in the shed so this guy actually thought he had a sucker. Finally after I got bored I revealed the hoax very loudly and the guy hung up.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I still like the response I heard about:

In a conspiratorial voice, “Oh, good! It’s you! It’s all done, but there’s blood EVERYWHERE!”

Dave :)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a call when I was 10 years old from a woman who claimed that my brother owed her money and that she would report him to the police if we did not repay her. I said, yeah right... Bye. I called my brother at his business and he said nope no idea what was that about except it was a scam.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I received an email from the University of Moscow. It was a Russian relative I had never heard. This happened about 3 years ago. I ignored the email and then received a friend request from this person. His only facebook friend was a relative living in Kodiak. I was very skeptical and finally became fb friends with him. This person was doing a family tree project and was requesting that I review his information for accuracy. I did and all was accurate from what I could tell.

I guess my point is sometimes calls and emails are real. My parents passed away when I knew no one in my own family until other relatives looked me up . Now with this new Russian relative I have an entire book with pictures and articles.

Bill

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

In a conspiratorial voice, “Oh, good! It’s you! It’s all done, but there’s blood EVERYWHERE!”

Call the wolf!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Several years ago when a guy got one of these calls he acted as if he was a detective that was investigating a recent murder scene. He had the caller going for about 10 to 15 minutes. It use to be available on Youtube.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another call I received was from Publishers Clearing House claiming I had won over a million dollars in their sweepstakes drawing.

They wanted to send me a check, but before they could do so I would need to provide them with a payment to cover taxes and fees.

I told them to "Deduct the expenses from my winnings and send me a net check". They promptly hung up!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In a conspiratorial voice, “Oh, good! It’s you! It’s all done, but there’s blood EVERYWHERE!"

Oh, I wouldn't be too quick to use that line...

Once, a real cop showed up at my side door saying they had rec'd a 911 call.
He said he was doing a wellness check and asked if everything was alright.
"I think so," He said that no one answered the front door. "Are you sure?
I say, "Yes, I'm sure," He says, "Okay. Have a nice day," but remained parked nearby,

... I thought, "Huh? You're not going ask to come in to see if I've butchered my wife?"
---------------------
I figured out later that it was my fault. I had accidentally called 911 and hung up,

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes. Good one - I heard a similar one. Answer the call and say, "Hi, this is detective - give any name - I need your name and address. You have just called a crime scene and will need to know your relationship with the deceased".

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When you get a call from an unknown number, answer it with a gruff tone and say "Sheriff's Department - Fraud Division "....

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Wait. People actually answer random, incoming phone calls? Why?
All of my calls go to voice mail unless I recognize the caller's name on my phone.