• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

$300k week

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
YIKES!

It would appear that it is the penthouse suites that are marketed specifically to the high end Japanese tourist.

Even the regular $45,000 to $60,000 per week price seems incredible, especially in this current economic market.

But the blessing seems to be that with the opening of the new resort, all other HHV towers now have more availability then they did previously.

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble just with a $45,000 1-bedroom Gold week...

They must be flying in lots of Japanese prospects with pockets stuffed with $100 bills. I would expect that the pool of American suckers who would drop $300,000 on a one-week timeshare is pretty slim.

It looks like you get 28,750 points for your $300,000. So would that 3-br penthouse owner feel like a fool when he found out he could have bought 6 5,000 point weeks for $30,000 resale? Or even less? One 5000 point week at the Flamingo went for $3997 on Ebay recently..Or buy even less - 3 7000 point and 1 - 5000 point week would get you the 3-br Penthouse in Gold season. You'd pay a lot more in Maint. fees, but you'd sure save bigtime up front. Anyone know what the 3-br penthouse maint. fees are at Grand Waikikian?

Anyone seen all 3 of the HHV HGVC timeshares? Is the Grand Waikikian incredibly upscale in furnishings compared to the other two?

Must be a tough sell when a prospect multiplies the $300,000 price & figures out that HGVC thinks the penthouse is worth $15 million...

Last edited:

jsfletch

TUG Member
Reaction score
I drove down to the HHV complex just to check on the status of the construction. The front entrance (just off Ala Moana blvd) is still under construction. The strip shops are basicially finished but there are no tenants yet. The entrance is very impressive! I thinks shortly after the new year we'll take a TS tour. I could use another 20k HH pts. plus I'm curious to see what a $300k TS looks like.

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I doubt that the 3-br Penthouse at the Grand Waikikian is any nicer than the high-rise condos you can buy in Honolulu in the $2 million range...

Who in their right mind would pay $300,000 for one week?

Are they flying in plane-loads of Japanese and they have a $240,000 cost to sell each $300,000 week because only 1 of each 100,000 prospects will buy one?

jestme

Reaction score
Apparently, being out of their mind is one of the characteristics timeshare sales people look for. When it first began, the question after a high pressure timeshare "sales opportunity" was always "who in their right mind would pay $1000 for a week?"
Now, back to todays reality. There are a bunch of people, some in Japan, some in the US, some elsewhere, fully in their right mind, for whom $300K is peanuts. Even if there are 8 3BR Premiers on top of the Waikikian, that's 8*52, or 416 people. It's not that many out of 3 billion.
I unfortunately, am certainly not one of those people. Like you, I couldn't even fathom spending that kind of money for a timeshare. But I do know there are people who have no concept of money, the value of it, how hard some of us have to work for it, or what a 401K is used for. (Sports figures, Paris Hilton, and rock stars come to mind). I can easily see a professional golfer grabbing one to stay at when they are in Hawaii for tournaments, and then using it for vacationing once their career is over. Same would apply for the pro bowl, rock stars, movie stars, etc.
As we all know from watching them drive, the world is full of idiots. Some of them have money too. At least 416.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for the link to the article.

Looks like there is a new website for the Grand Waikikian - http://www.grandwaikikian.com/001_about_GW_E_V.php

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Dec 19, 2008

Grand Waikikian Snapshot

Online: www.grandwaikikian.com
Architect: Group 70 International
General contractor: Dick Pacific Construction Co.
Interior designer: Carl Ross Design
Size: 331 total units, ranging from one to three bedrooms
Cost: Unit weeks sell from $45,000 to $300,000
Sales: 27 percent sold

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

It's interesting that the views really aren't any better than the Lagoon Tower views.

Other than the configuration of the couch and L/R, and an added lanai off the master bedroom, the penthouse suites don't look much different than the 3 bedroom penthouse suites at the HGVC on the Strip.

But it is obvious the market is for high net worth Asians. The site can be translated to Japanese & Korean, and of course the kitchen has the rice cooker (as do all the HI properties) which is a necessity in an Asian home.:)

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
That was a cool link. Why don't they do that for all other HGVC properties.

Another upgraded suggestion for them.