• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

23andMe's entire board of directors resign

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I don't have any errant DNA I worry about.

I also believe in the 5th Amendment.
Neither do I. Let's start at the beginning. I have a choice whether or not to allow my non-identifying DNA to be used for research. Any information received in the hack at 23andme was information that I chose to share with matches in common.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
1) I bet your carry one of them there fancy government tracking devices in your pocket that they listen in to all your conversations with grandma as well.

2) Probably drive one of them there fancy automobiles with all those buttons and knobs and fancy “tell you how to get there” devices.

3) I know you got you one of them fancy boxes that lets you type in messages to people you don’t know and have talks with folks from places like Russia and China and such.

1) It's usually off. I only turn it on when I need it. No financial apps or information on it. Also no contacts. I only need to know a couple dozen numbers. Easily memorized. It's a lost art, really.

2) I drive a work truck. It has no options. Massive engine. No options. I use it to haul a two-ton mulcher up a 45-degree grade.

3) This laptop has no personal information on it. Not even my name. The real computer has a wired connection and is off unless I need it. What little financial work I do is done and then shut off. And the "keys to the kingdom" bank account isn't linked to anything, anywhere. Not even paper checks. No transactions allowed unless my wife and I make the transaction in person. (Small town banking is great.)

Anyone who cares can easily find me through county records. It's public information and I can't do anything about that. So I don't sweat it. But I don't go out of my way to make it easy for people. Find a photo of me online. I dare you. Have fun with that.

Crimes are being solved already using DNA services such as 23. And while I don't much care about rapists and murderers, the loss of privacy is chilling.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

You haven’t had the privacy you seek since 1942. I post, you respond. That’s enough.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
1) It's usually off. I only turn it on when I need it. No financial apps or information on it. Also no contacts. I only need to know a couple dozen numbers. Easily memorized. It's a lost art, really.

2) I drive a work truck. It has no options. Massive engine. No options. I use it to haul a two-ton mulcher up a 45-degree grade.

3) This laptop has no personal information on it. Not even my name. The real computer has a wired connection and is off unless I need it. What little financial work I do is done and then shut off. And the "keys to the kingdom" bank account isn't linked to anything, anywhere. Not even paper checks. No transactions allowed unless my wife and I make the transaction in person. (Small town banking is great.)

Anyone who cares can easily find me through county records. It's public information and I can't do anything about that. So I don't sweat it. But I don't go out of my way to make it easy for people. Find a photo of me online. I dare you. Have fun with that.

Crimes are being solved already using DNA services such as 23. And while I don't much care about rapists and murderers, the loss of privacy is chilling.

Do you wear an Aluminum Hat or Aluminum Liner inside your hats? By the way 23andme and Ancestry have nothing to do with the 5th Amendment. The 5th Amendment concerns Federal Government Action and to the States/local by application of the 14th Amendment.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
23 and me does not "publish" your DNA and your personal details. If you opt in to share, you can share just there is a percent match, with no details, or greater number of details, like family names and geographic locations, with out drilling down to exact detail, or you can choose to bare it all.

So if Law Enforcement uploads a sample and gets a hit, it means you have opted in to the point your DNA can be matched. they would need to contact the customer through the sw to ask for more info, if that was not shared. That person can ignore or comply with that request.

I get a lot of third cousins. That is people related to my great grandparents. I would think a judge might be disinterested in forcing a third cousin to reveal themselves, as literally, thousand of people can be related in that way, and that scope is pretty large.

Obviously, there have been cases where DNA has been forced from residents in large areas to try and track a criminal, but that would need to be an extra ordinary circumstance. If the match was immediate family, like brother sister mother father,. I think a judge would try and compel 23 and Me to disclose the results if it were a serial killer. That might go to the courts.

It seems the results you see in the news if where a person has disclosed who they are and their antecedents, and genealogy is used to trace down to a likely suspect, based on location and time, and then follow them around to pick up a used cup or cigarette butt to prove the match.

It's not a slam dunk, if the FBI has a .78% match (that is POINT 78 percent) and in a small regional area, maybe that half the population for the last 100 years is related at that level.

The board walking out has to do with money and power, not privacy issues of customers.

Reactions: DrQ

ScoopKona

Reaction score
The Golden State Killer:

Another "surprise" call:

And, of course, they've already been breached:

General article about privacy and genetics:

Another:

I still have a bridge to sell to anyone who thinks this won't become commonplace. I could link articles all damned day. Seriously, all day. Social Security numbers were once resisted because people feared they would become a national identity number. Their fears were well grounded -- to the point I have my credit permanently frozen because I have a life worth stealing.

Brett

Reaction score
The Golden State Killer:

Another "surprise" call:

Another:

I still have a bridge to sell to anyone who thinks this won't become commonplace. I could link articles all damned day. Seriously, all day. Social Security numbers were once resisted because people feared they would become a national identity number. Their fears were well grounded -- to the point I have my credit permanently frozen because I have a life worth stealing.

Solving crimes with DNA has already become commonplace - - even without your DNA !

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
The Golden State Killer:

Another "surprise" call:

Another:

23andMe Guide for Law Enforcement

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
The "I took a 23andMe DNA test — and cops linked me to an unsolved murder" is a click bait type of headline

No data was breached. everything done with sample providers permission, the story ends with she is glad she was contacted

Did you even read the story ?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
The "I took a 23andMe DNA test — and cops linked me to an unsolved murder" is a click bait type of headline

No data was breached. everything done with sample providers permission, the story ends with she is glad she was contacted

Did you even read the story ?

Yes, I read it. You see a happy ending. I see an unfolding problem. We're probably not far from the detectives in the movie Gattaca, whose main tool in the fight against crime is a vacuum cleaner. Sweep up the DNA and wait for a match.

"Step one" is create a genetic database of the population.