• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2023 ] First time at The Bay Club at Waikoloa, few questions.

kroll001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Off-topic question, but at Bay Club: We're looking at some 2 BR units for next year and there's a big difference in points for similarly-sized units:

2 Bedroom - AD5, AD7, AP5, AP7 - 7,680 points for 7 nights

2 Bedroom - BD5, BD7, BP5, BP7 - 11,200 points for 7 nights

The only difference I see is that the B series have a queen bed in the 2nd bedroom while the A series as double beds - both have kings in the master. Does anyone know if there's a bigger difference than that, such as location or view?

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
A Units are 1118 sq. ft and have 2 baths
B Units are 1484 sq ft and have 2 1/2 baths

Size: 1,118-1,484 sq. ft. Accommodates: 6 guests
Spacious 2-bedroom/2- or 2.5-bathroom suites with a lanai feature a large primary bedroom with a king-size bed and bathroom with a free-standing shower and separate tub or standard shower/tub combination. The second bedroom is furnished with two double or a queen-size bed and includes a bathroom with a standard shower/tub combination. The suite also offers a generous living room with cable TV, Playstation 3, Blu-ray DVD player, and a queen-size sleeper sofa, as well as a fully equipped kitchen, and washer/dryer.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Off-topic question, but at Bay Club: We're looking at some 2 BR units for next year and there's a big difference in points for similarly-sized units:

The only difference I see is that the B series have a queen bed in the 2nd bedroom while the A series as double beds - both have kings in the master. Does anyone know if there's a bigger difference than that, such as location or view?

Thats weird the A and B 2 BR floor plans should be example the same point value. No idea why it is lower.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Sandy provided excellent information on Bay Club units in the Resort Info sticky, up top in the pink sticky section.

The only thing I can think affecting points are if you are on the border of gold/Plat season check in days, otherwise same dates should be same points?

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club
. Is there a grocery store nearby?
We were able to order some groceries at target for pickup on the way from the Airport. Can’t get everything there but it’s convenient. FYI we couldn’t get groceries delivered in waikoloa.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is an error, it is showing the points for a 1 BR instead of a 2 BR. I assume if they catch their mistake they will correct the points they use for you.

That is a pretty bad screw up on their part. never seen that happen before.

1687142232841.png

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you still seeing this, as I can't replicate. I see both A and B 2 BR units with the same point structure.

1687452961663.png

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Is there a recommended restaurant for a nice breakfast buffet with a view or a nice dinner with a view in the area?

For dinner sunset views try Lava Lava Beach Club on A-Bay behind Queens Marketplace. No reservations. First come first served seating. Casual. On the beach.

For a stunning setting and more upscale vibe try dinner at Kamuela Provision Company in the Hilton Waikoloa hotel. Both prix fixe and ala carte menus as I recall.

For great food and service but no views, Merriman’s up the hill in Waimea is a must-eat dinner for us each trip. One of the best restaurants on the island - probably the best. Seafood and local Big Island beef.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
For dinner sunset views try Lava Lava Beach Club on A-Bay behind Queens Marketplace. No reservations. First come first served seating. Casual. On the beach.

For a stunning setting and more upscale vibe try dinner at Kamuela Provision Company in the Hilton Waikoloa hotel. Both prix fixe and ala carte menus as I recall.

For great food and service but no views, Merriman’s up the hill in Waimea is a must-eat dinner for us each trip. One of the best restaurants on the island - probably the best. Seafood and local Big Island beef.
Definitely agree on Lava Lava. We did Kamuela once but now find that the prices exceed the value.

On a 7 night stay, we typically eat one formal meal out, and that is the kama'aina special at Sansei. For the other nights we either cook on the grills or go to any of the various very nice happy hours in the immediate area. We don't eat a lot at meals, so that works well.

It just feels really nice to sit on the lanai, grill some fish, make some veggies and chill with a bottle of wine. One possible option, anyway.

Cheers.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely agree on Lava Lava. We did Kamuela once but now find that the prices exceed the value.
We were at Lava this past week, and came to the same reluctant conclusion. The view and ambiance are lovely. I’m normally an “I don’t care what it costs” person on vacation, and even I thought the value was no longer there. The food ranges from okay to pretty good, but expensive even for Hawaii, and the drinks were apparently not great. It used to be on our must-do list but is now a “nah maybe not.” If they bring back breakfast we’d give that a go.

On the other hand Merriman’s was spectacular and surprisingly affordable. We went for Sunday brunch which might have had something to do with that. Just next door is Moa Kitchen, which we all loved. (It did not hurt that my daughter and wife thought that our server was incredibly cute.)

If you find yourself in Kona the Lani Tea House has very good bubble tea. Hawaii Kind Grinds in the Queens Marketplace was a good spot to grab sandwiches on the way to the beach. I think it is new.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were at Lava this past week, and came to the same reluctant conclusion. The view and ambiance are lovely. I’m normally an “I don’t care what it costs” person on vacation, and even I thought the value was no longer there. The food ranges from okay to pretty good, but expensive even for Hawaii, and the drinks were apparently not great. It used to be on our must-do list but is now a “nah maybe not.” If they bring back breakfast we’d give that a go.

On the other hand Merriman’s was spectacular and surprisingly affordable. We went for Sunday brunch which might have had something to do with that. Just next door is Moa Kitchen, which we all loved. (It did not hurt that my daughter and wife thought that our server was incredibly cute.)

If you find yourself in Kona the Lani Tea House has very good bubble tea. Hawaii Kind Grinds in the Queens Marketplace was a good spot to grab sandwiches on the way to the beach. I think it is new.
Thanks for the suggestions. We really like doing breakfast in the room and just chilling on the lanai, so not as likely to go out for brunch, even with a cute server :)

Actually, we still like Lava Lava, for pupus. It was Kamuela Provision Company that I was commenting had become overpriced.

We don't go to the beach to hang, in general. But the sandwich place is still a good thought for wandering about.

Cheers.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
A Units are 1118 sq. ft and have 2 baths
B Units are 1484 sq ft and have 2 1/2 baths

Size: 1,118-1,484 sq. ft. Accommodates: 6 guests
Spacious 2-bedroom/2- or 2.5-bathroom suites with a lanai feature a large primary bedroom with a king-size bed and bathroom with a free-standing shower and separate tub or standard shower/tub combination. The second bedroom is furnished with two double or a queen-size bed and includes a bathroom with a standard shower/tub combination. The suite also offers a generous living room with cable TV, Playstation 3, Blu-ray DVD player, and a queen-size sleeper sofa, as well as a fully equipped kitchen, and washer/dryer.
The A floor plan units are larger than the B's and face out towards golf course. They form the base of a 'U' shape bldg. The B units are at the corners ( lower part of the U arms) , and the 1 bdrms (C&D?) at the top of the arms. 1 bdrms do face parking lot.

The E & F units are in the 2 floor townhouses and are the largest area wise. They are the ones with 2.5 bathrooms, and do cost more points. The one we stayed in had a king in the master and 2 double beds in 2nd bdrm. Large private bathrooms for each bedroom. IMO not worth the extra points. We had 5 people and rarely used the half bath. It was very close to the front door, less convenient from the living room area.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

On a 7 night stay, we typically eat one formal meal out, and that is the kama'aina special at Sansei. For the other nights we either cook on the grills or go to any of the various very nice happy hours in the immediate area. We don't eat a lot at meals, so that works well.

It just feels really nice to sit on the lanai, grill some fish, make some veggies and chill with a bottle of wine. One possible option, anyway.

Cheers.

KPC has some of the best Sunset Views. I have had some meals with great service and a solid meal, but also had a few meals where they fell short on service and food quality. Its been a few years since we last ate there, so i can't comment on the current value proposition.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

My two cents, and my experiences are not terribly recent are:

Lava Lava - underwhelmed. Maybe it's because it was raining when we went and no one could sit outside.

Kamueala Provision Company - another underwhelming experience. We were seated where there was no view and I don't remember much about the food.

Only have done Merriman's for lunch, but it was very good.

This may have already been mentioned but one of the best meals we had was at Pueo Osteria up in Waikoloa Village.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
This may have already been mentioned but one of the best meals we had was at Pueo Osteria up in Waikoloa Village.
Agree on Pueo Osteria. No view, but excellent Italian food.

Interesting tidbit...we ate there for dinner for the first time back in March. Had an excellent Sangiovese wine from the Villa Saletta winery, and noticed that fairly small winery was very close to Peccioli near where HGVC Borgo alle Vigne is located. When we were at Borgo for the first time a couple weeks ago, we did a wine tasting at Villa Saletta. Small world.

gggllm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for Bay Club guest to access hilton lagoon without paying expensive passes?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Is it possible for Bay Club guest to access hilton lagoon without paying expensive passes?
No. The only Hilton properties that have free access to the Hilton pools are Kingsland and Kohala Suites. Not sure though what you mean by the lagoon.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater

No. The only Hilton properties that have free access to the Hilton pools are Kingsland and Kohala Suites. Not sure though what you mean by the lagoon.
Aloha,
While I cannot directly answer the question based on personal experience, I can offer a few "facts".
The lagoon is artificial and is distinct from the pools. In theory a person could swim into it from the ocean but that would depend on ocean conditions and access into the ocean over the rocky shore. See google map link https://www.google.com/maps/@19.9254347,-155.887877,138m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDkxOC4xIKXMDSoASAFQAw==
Anyone can use the Hilton $$$ parking lot. https://www.google.com/maps/@19.9229177,-155.8879249,326m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDkxOC4xIKXMDSoASAFQAw== We occasionally eat the Roman Pizza at the Nui Italian restaurant ( https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/koahwhh-hilton-waikoloa-village/dining/nui-italian-restaurant/ ) even when not staying at the resort; parking is validated at the car valet station by presenting the restaurant receipt.
Nothing prevents a person not staying at Hilton from wandering the grounds (We have done so several times over the years).
The question I cannot answer is whether any resort personnel check who is accessing the lagoon.
Jack

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Good update @jacknsara. We have stayed at the Bay Club and Kohala Suites. We would walk over to the Hilton in the mornings and get a cup of coffee, then walk back. We have eaten at a couple of restaurants onsite and walked the grounds many times. I have no idea how non guests are monitored. I know that hotel guests (and those who can use the pools) get a wristband and those are checked in order to get towels and to use the water slides. I don't know if anyone goes around checking for wristbands on anyone else.

Reddart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA
W57th
Back door “Max”
When we were staying in Kingsland in July, we drove to the Hilton Waikoloa one late afternoon, and tried in vain to get a wristband/towel…no one checked at that particular time.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aloha,
While I cannot directly answer the question based on personal experience, I can offer a few "facts".
The lagoon is artificial and is distinct from the pools. In theory a person could swim into it from the ocean but that would depend on ocean conditions and access into the ocean over the rocky shore.

I have seen this as well and it certainly seems reasonable the the lagoon pool would reasonably be a publicly-accessible area, i.e. no wrist band. If one had their own towel, I see no problem with swimming there. The fact that they don't ever seem to check, IME, makes it hard to know if this is really true, but the end result is the same.

Good update @jacknsara. We have stayed at the Bay Club and Kohala Suites. We would walk over to the Hilton in the mornings and get a cup of coffee, then walk back.

We routinely do this as well. Mrs. brp has a nice t-shirt from when these two locations were called "Waikoloa Coffee Company," before they changed to "Honolulu." It's a very pleasant morning walk. It's also a really nice place to run from any of the HGVC locations and do the Waikoloa Beach loop, even running onto the HWV property.

Cheers.