• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2022 TUG Timeshare Survey Results!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Here are the results of the Timeshare owner survey we asked all of you to participate in over the past month or so! We had over 850 participants!

We hope you enjoy our analysis of each of the questions, and the complete data/pages are available below in a PDF for those who wish to look at that as well!

TUG Survey Question Analysis Webpage (first 25 questions are done and available)

The full PDF file containing all the results and data!

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Interesting results. I wonder how the answers would be different if the Survey was divided into Retail vs. Resale owners, and Weeks vs. Points ownerships?

Dave

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yea ive got a feeling we will be doing a ton of "whatif" scenarios to keep in mind for a future survey for sure!

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are the results of the Timeshare owner survey we asked all of you to participate in over the past month or so! We had over 850 participants!

We hope you enjoy our analysis of each of the questions, and the complete data/pages are available below in a PDF for those who wish to look at that as well!

TUG Survey Question Analysis Webpage (first 25 questions are done and available)

The full PDF file containing all the results and data!

Brian--

bravo ! Very well done. The survey was very informative for the reasons stated. I'm hoping the results will be published in mainstream travel-related outlets as an education piece.

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting that 68% of respondents do not rent out their weeks when they don't use them.
Yes. Could the answer be that the activity for purposes of commerce is prohibited in the owner contracts?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Very interesting that 68% of respondents do not rent out their weeks when they don't use them.
Hmm :unsure:…I thought this question was trying to figure out how many folks were renting (not how many folks were wasting their week).

I said NO because I either bank my week for future use or I deposit my week into an exchange company (rather than renting).

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
this is one of the reasons im writing the article for the questions in the format I am, offering different perspectives on the data as quite frankly....there are so many different ways to interpret even the questions themselves I dont think any would be 100% accurate!

at the end of the day if it promotes conversation about the topics, as well as a bit of education and information on the subjects for those who read it outside our little community ill consider it a successful expenditure of time and money to make!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
finished the bulk of the questions in the article, will be adding some of the "word clouds" at the end also, if for nothing more than they make good conversation!

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This one surprised me -- that such a large number said YES.

Q10: WERE THEY SUCCESSFUL IN HELPING YOU WITH YOUR TIMESHARE?
Proving again that engaging resale or exit companies is a terrible use of your money!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would liked you to conduct this same survey next year with the acquisition of Diamond Resorts by Hilton and all the changes with Marriott's Resorts and RCI. IMHO

This was a excellent survey conducted by TUG.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
This one surprised me -- that such a large number said YES.

Q10: WERE THEY SUCCESSFUL IN HELPING YOU WITH YOUR TIMESHARE?
Proving again that engaging resale or exit companies is a terrible use of your money!

sadly those companies actively target owners at resorts that have official exit programs but simply dont know about them

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm :unsure:…I thought this question was trying to figure out how many folks were renting (not how many folks were wasting their week).

I said NO because I either bank my week for future use or I deposit my week into an exchange company (rather than renting).
Interesting how the question could be interpreted differently. It's a problem of the English language when one word "rent" could be interpreted as either "rent for own use" or "to make available for rent to others." Actually, both interpretations are equally valid and deserve further analysis. When I read the question, I immediately concluded it was referring to owners who were renting their units "out" because they were not planning on using their unit(s), banking with an exchange company, or rolling their ownership benefit to the following year.

On the other hand, there are reasons why people would want to rent a unit owned by others.

Brian will, undoubtedly, craft future questions to explore whether owners are renting units owned by others and why as apposed owners offering their units for rent to either offset MFs or do it as a source of revenue.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Well done and good analysis.

Cheers

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would liked you to conduct this same survey next year with the acquisition of Diamond Resorts by Hilton and all the changes with Marriott's Resorts and RCI. IMHO

This was a excellent survey conducted by TUG.
No question this survey was an eye opener but it was a snapshot. Yes, future surveys will shed light in light of changes occurring in the industry. it would also be revealing to know the demographics of the people surveyed will grasp an understanding of who the respondents are.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
This is a good survey.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
added the word cloud responses to the end of the survey page!

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting survey. Thank you for analyzing and posting! Looks like a lot of work!

lotus5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Survey taken of TUG members who are way more knowledgeable as to how to buy/sell/rent/use timeshares. So TUG members would obviously be more satisfied with their timeshares. (I just renewed for 3 years)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
was not limited to TUG members, although no doubt given it was published here on the forums a good portion of the responders were indeed TUG members.