• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2020 claim timeshare dues/fees as tax loss or write off?

jboehm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk's
Well 2020 isn't shaping up to well for using our timeshare. It occurs to me that a reasonable person might think it should be possible to claim timeshare dues/fees as US tax loss or tax write off. Are there opinions on this. Sorry if its already been discussing. Point me to that thread and I'll delete this one.

To be clear NO TAX ADVICE IS BEING GIVEN in this thread. Consult your tax adviser regarding the law. There that's out of the way.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
NO - To summarize, there are only write-offs if you exclusively use the TS as a rental, and then you have to claim your rental income against the expenses. On the TUG Help & Advice page there is an article written by a CPA who is a Tugger and an expert on timeshares. (You can find the link in the blue bar at the top of the page.)

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Feel free to write it off on your books/head but not in your taxes.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Well 2020 isn't shaping up to well for using our timeshare. It occurs to me that a reasonable person might think it should be possible to claim timeshare dues/fees as US tax loss or tax write off. Are there opinions on this. Sorry if its already been discussing. Point me to that thread and I'll delete this one.

To be clear NO TAX ADVICE IS BEING GIVEN in this thread. Consult your tax adviser regarding the law. There that's out of the way.
One should never do what they think is reasonable, or what should be, in regard to their taxes. The tax laws, regulations and policies are so complex most trained accountants and lawyers struggle with them.

jboehm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk's
@davidvel - agreed and I was not recommending that.

@PigsDad - From one point of view, yes, but from a another it is - "I bought ownership in a property this year and it was destroyed by a natural disaster."

Brett

Reaction score
@davidvel - agreed and I was not recommending that.

@PigsDad - From one point of view, yes, but from a another it is - "I bought ownership in a property this year and it was destroyed by a natural disaster."

yes, property destroyed in a "natural disaster" does have some tax implications but I'm not convinced a loss of maintenance fees for a timeshare due to the coronavirus would qualify for those tax benefits

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs

No, its more like: I bought ownership in a property, and I couldn't use it for six months; my allocated time to use it has been pushed to next year.

Its true that some people may have completely lost their usage/points because their scheduled vacation was the "last chance" to use up the time. However, for others the issue is that now instead of one week to use next year there are two weeks to use.

There are going to be zero tax benefits unless you are in the rental business.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
It's a personal leisure item, no write off. Only possible write off against earnings is if you operate a rental business, as others have said. If you had a fixed week and couldn't use your week because of bad weather, same thing.
Also no tax write off when you sell your personal week at a loss--however, you'll pay taxes on gains. :ponder: