• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2015] Redweek dead

mish

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the past, I've had good results renting through RedWeek. This year has been very different. I even mentioned it to hubby. I've had no responses to a prime week for rental in April. Maybe it is a little early, but does seem slow compared to previous years.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I had success renting out two units on Redweek in Aruba however, once it was rented, I changed it on Redweek and it disappeared from 'active' rentals unlike years past when it would appear as 'rented'. So this might just be a change in how Redweek handles rentals versus an indicator of units sold.

At the top of the resort page, you have to click "filter" and then unclick "show only available units."

Last edited:

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Some owners, adjusted the rental price before marking it as 'rented'. For instance, asking $2500, rented for $2300, price changed to $2700 before marking it as rented.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if some owners have done that.....I just don't understand why? What is to be gained by blatant deception? To me it serves no purpose.
Mike

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Although it wouldn't surprise me if some owners have done that.....I just don't understand why? What is to be gained by blatant deception? To me it serves no purpose.
Mike

Because the next time they can tell folks, "last year I got *this much* for it, as you can see on redweek."

Just one more reason to add to the list of reasons why owner rentals of timeshares aren't the perfect product that some make them out to be. :(

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Because the next time they can tell folks, "last year I got *this much* for it, as you can see on redweek."

Just one more reason to add to the list of reasons why owner rentals of timeshares aren't the perfect product that some make them out to be. :(

Sue ...

I personally have NEVER done that on Redweek ... but I can say I have had at least 40-75% of my inquiries tell me, they only PAID $400 maximum (and less most prior years) for a unit I offered with $1075+ MFs. And offer me, $425 as they know MFs might have gone up a bit in the past year.

I truthfully have told them to call who they rented from LAST YEAR and get that great deal again.

And I have had OTHER owners who tell me about their "GOOD FRIENDS" who rent their timeshare every year for less than MFs as they want to help them out ... except they need a week I own to fill in a hole in their booking ... can't I too help them out?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Sue ...

I personally have NEVER done that on Redweek ... but I can say I have had at least 40-75% of my inquiries tell me, they only PAID $400 maximum (and less most prior years) for a unit I offered with $1075+ MFs. And offer me, $425 as they know MFs might have gone up a bit in the past year.

I truthfully have told them to call who they rented from LAST YEAR and get that great deal again.

And I have had OTHER owners who tell me about their "GOOD FRIENDS" who rent their timeshare every year for less than MFs as they want to help them out ... except they need a week I own to fill in a hole in their booking ... can't I too help them out?

No question, there are shenanigans on both sides of rental transactions. I'm not trying to disparage every owner who's ever rented out their timeshares - if the shoe doesn't fit, I'm not trying to force your foot into it. :)

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use a 5 star Marriott as a comp.

While I am not a big time renter, I have been doing the rental thing lately since I just can't get enough free time to get away. My timeshares are good locations and so far I have been doing OK.

What I just did is look at a nearby Marriott hotel (not a Courtyard, or a Fairfield) and check out what Marriott is asking for a nights stay. Better yet check to see what Marriott rents out for the same unit.

I would then just tell the asking renter to go rent from Marriott.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I had a lady one time offer me palm trees and then sweetened the pot with an old dirt bike.

I told her I wasn't interested in trading unless she wanted to trade 25 100 hundred dollar bills for my week.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On the Redweek rental page of the resort you are interested in, there is an option at the top of the page to Remove All Filters. You will then be able to see the already "rented" units.

Thanks. Learned something new, and just "unchecked" that box.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I have had good success renting my units on Redweek. I sometimes use the rental income to partially fund non timeshare vacations. I added a second HHI unit this year believing redweek rental is a viable option.

I have rented units 5 times and in those 5 times have fielded 18 to 20 inquiries that I spoke with the potential renters. Just some observations of the small sample I spoke with.

If someone is not willing to chat, this is a red flag for me.

Posting pictures of the view will help. I own fixed weeks with full or partial ocean views so I always post pictures of the view. If you have floating weeks, years where the view is nice should be used as potential views.

Most of the people I spoke with have rented from Redweek before and a few have been to HHI before.

Most inquiries are planned vacations around 120 to 90 days out and the unit is committed to before the 60 day window. I do not take the posting off until it is paid in full so as I get closer to the 60 day window the number of silly offers increase. I do not chat with a silly offers. I only respond by email.

Almost all drive to HHI and many do not own timeshares.

Net net....Having a resort that can be driven too and pictures of the view increase the number of inquiries..IMO.

twinmommy19

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had no trouble renting my brand new Mountainside ski week for 2016 via Redweek. It wasn't even a great week - 1/1/16 check in (that's what the previous owner was able to confirm). My purchase didn't clear until after Thanksgiving, but the rental turned over within a matter of days of posting it. Received several inquiries about it too, but was thrilled that the first bidder was Stay PC as they handled everything for me. I've never rented to anyone before.

The interest could be because I priced the week to rent quickly as I knew we couldn't go - $2,750 with 4 weeks until check in. At the time, the lowest other listing for that date was $3,500. 2016 usage was included in my resale purchase, so I didn't feel the need to try to be greedy!

Jim Cameron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Googled timeshare rentals

I googled timeshare rentals and the fist items listed were:
Timeshare Rentals - RentByOwner.com‎
Adwww.rentbyowner.com/‎
Find Vacation & Timeshare Rentals 500,000+ RBO Homes. Contact Owners.
Timeshares at RedWeek.com‎
Adwww.redweek.com/
The Largest Online Marketplace To Rent, Buy, Sell Timeshares.
Over 2.1 Million Users · Rent or Sell Timeshares
Orlando TimesharesHawaii TimesharesCaribbean TimesharesSign In
Rent a Timeshare - Buy or Rent Directly From Owner‎
Adwww.myresortnetwork.com/‎
Schedule Your Vacation Today!
Rent a TimeshareBuy a TimeshareSell a Timeshare
Search Results
Timeshare Rentals | Timeshares for Rent by Owner
www.sellmytimesharenow.com/timeshares/index/content/searchrent/
Browse timeshare rentals you can book online with a reservation guarantee! ... We feature for rent by owner resort, condo, and villa vacation rentals in hundreds of popular destinations, most available at significant discounts off resort, hotel, and OTA (online travel agency) pricing.
Timeshare Rentals - Timeshares for Rent - RedWeek.com
[SIZE="6"]www.redweek.com[/SIZE]/timeshare-rentals
Find timeshare rentals worldwide and save on your next vacation. Owners, post your timeshare rental quickly & easily in our online community.
‎Top 25 Timeshare Rental - ‎Hawaii timeshares - ‎Greater Orlando Timeshares
Timeshare Rentals, Timeshare Resales, Timeshare Resorts ...
www.redweek.com/
Timeshares for rent and sale by owner. Get resort information, reviews, and join timeshare forums.
You've visited this page many times. Last visit: 29/04/15
Timeshare Users Group - The first and largest online ...
www.tug2.net/
The first and Largest online community of timeshare owners providing Timeshare ... timeshare classified ads for timeshare rentals and timeshare resales, - free ...
You've visited this page many times. Last visit: 12/12/14
Timeshare Rentals | Timeshare-Resale-Rental.com
www.timeshare-resale-rental.com/timeshare-rentals/
Search timeshares for rent. Find last-minute deals on upscale accommodations or vacation on a budget without sacrificing comfort. Rent a timeshare to enjoy the

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
pro tip, if you want true results of what an average person would find searching google/bing etc...make sure you arent logged into gmail/msn/etc...as it will remember your browsing history and return results for sites you visit regular...thus not an accurate representation of what a regular searcher might see.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
A couple years ago I put up two MOC units for rent. One of them was for a May week, the other in July. Posted them some time in November on RedWeek, Tug and MyResortNetwork. One was snatched up in December and the other in late January via my RedWeek ad. Interestingly, both were arranged through two different intermediaries. They both tried to negotiate a few hundred less. I advised them that I had choosen a very competitive rate based upon RedWeek listings. They were both OF units so didn't feel like budging. They accepted my terms and the rest was very easy since they handled the agreements with the renter. Haven't head anyone talk about dealing with these intermediary companies...

davidn247

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, and you can browse for free. However, it costs $15 to join and see the details of ads/contact sellers and buyers. It's a minimal fee, IMO.

Ironically enough, since I replied to this I've received two inquiries about my rental unit.

Rented fast my 2BR Park City (2016 Spring Break). However, I am having issue with my 3BR Grande Vista... no interest (yet?).

I agree having a fee on redweek is not helping. All competitors (vbro, airbnb, etc.) are free.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I agree having a fee on redweek is not helping. All competitors (vbro, airbnb, etc.) are free.

I tried Airbnb, it cost both parties a big chunk if you do business ,
just not for looking for a vacation, or advertising a rental.

WI GAL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOR South, Maui
Hanalei Bay, Kauai
Aruba Surf Club
Rented out my Starwood in Maui for March 2016 on Redweek. Recent review on Trip Advisor by poster "Great place with 2 big exceptions" will not help Redweek as they state someone at the pool claimed they rented through a "discounter" called Red Week and prepaid $7,000 to arrive at resort and find it was a fake reservation! Resort supposedly comped them a week in sympathy? I encouraged my renter to call the resort after I had it put into their name to verify they do indeed have a reservation. Doesn't make Redweek sound very good tho!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rented out my Starwood in Maui for March 2016 on Redweek. Recent review on Trip Advisor by poster "Great place with 2 big exceptions" will not help Redweek as they state someone at the pool claimed they rented through a "discounter" called Red Week and prepaid $7,000 to arrive at resort and find it was a fake reservation! Resort supposedly comped them a week in sympathy? I encouraged my renter to call the resort after I had it put into their name to verify they do indeed have a reservation. Doesn't make Redweek sound very good tho!

Sorry ... that does not pass my "sniff test". Never have I heard or seen a resort just COMP'ed a timeshare unit worth a thousand plus dollars because some UNKNOWN was rented a unit and scammed of their money.

Plus, the reviewer was NOT the victim .. just overhead a pool side conversation. And it was a $7000 reservation? 3 week stay or the "Queen of Sheba" island timeshare?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

There was an ebay seller Redweeks4less, mostly a seller but occasionally a renter who had a very bad reputation. As for Redweek, its an advertising site. No once calls Redweek and pays for rentals. They contact the owner/broker/advertiser. There was a big scandal for one or two brokers where that happened over late 2014/early 2015. All busy holiday times. No resorts comped anyone anything. If they had rooms they rented them out full rack rate of the victims were homeless while on "vacation". Yes scammers are everywhere even redweek.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Sorry ... that does not pass my "sniff test". Never have I heard or seen a resort just COMP'ed a timeshare unit worth a thousand plus dollars because some UNKNOWN was rented a unit and scammed of their money.

Plus, the reviewer was NOT the victim .. just overhead a pool side conversation. And it was a $7000 reservation? 3 week stay or the "Queen of Sheba" island timeshare?
Here's the review if anyone wants to see it:
On the plus side, we heard from someone at the pool who had booked through a discounter called "Red Week" and prepaid a $7,000 week (apparently a fraud who just took the money and ran), that the hotel comped a week for them out of sympathy when they arrived with fraudulent reservation in hand--a very classy thing to do.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Here's the review if anyone wants to see it:

If I were Redweek, I would take objection to that review. Since Redweek doesn't actually rent weeks. Aren't they just a listing service for people to list weeks for rent? So Redweek wasn't necessarily committing fraud as the review implies, it was the person listing the week for rent. Of course, if it actually happened. It is hearsay after all.

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the worst week for business. I used to take this week off because nobody wanted to see me during the holidays much less buy anything from me!

You should see more activity after January 4th 2016.

hsintang

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I am a renter/buyer, I don't want to pay fees to see ad details

You have to be a member ($14.99/yr) to see the details of ads on redweek. If I can find the same info without fee, why should I pay additional fees?

So, basically, I will not use Redweek to rent or to buy resales....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Important point - Redweek's fee and registration filters most scammers - worth every cent.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Important point - Redweek's fee and registration filters most scammers - worth every cent.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

But it also filters out legitimate buyers and sellers. It basically limits the pool of potential buyers. I guess you just need to take or leave Redweek knowing the trade offs.