• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2015] Experience with Vacation Point Exchange

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was checking out VPE for some points to rent as we may be looking to add a day using points in Maui. I was surprised when I logged in and only saw a small handful of listings. One was for points wanted, one was for 60 day restricted points, one was for 2016:shrug: points (typo?) and only three were for rental points but for 2018. There were no 2017 points for rent.

Am I missing something.?We are only needing [Ad-like specifics deleted.] points for the night. I suppose I could ask one of the current 2018 renters if they would borrow the points and make a reservation for me, but I would prefer to have the points transferred to my account. Though, I guess it really doesn't matter.
Dioxide, I tried to send you a PM, but can't figure out how to send one on the revised forum. I have a few extra 2017 points available that I haven't yet banked, so please let me know if you still need some. Hopefully you can also teach me how to send PM's. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Dioxide, I tried to send you a PM, but can't figure out how to send one on the revised forum. I have a few extra 2017 points available that I haven't yet banked, so please let me know if you still need some. Hopefully you can also teach me how to send PM's. Thanks.

Click on "Inbox" at the top right of the page then click on "Start A New Conversation." :)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Click on "Inbox" at the top right of the page then click on "Start A New Conversation." :)
You can also click on the blue User Name on the left of the post and then click Start Conversation.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
It seems that there is a lot of demand. Looking at the Points Wanted board on VPE, it seems that there are a ton of ads for 2017 points wanted. Not surprised that the price is up over last year, but surprised it isn't up even more.
The large number of "wanted" listings account for the small number of rental listings. If someone has points to rent, they don't even need to post a VPE ad. Rather, simply respond to the existing "wanted" listings. I wish there was a better way to increase the visibility of VPE beyond the tug community. No doubt there are many thousands who would use the service if only they knew of its existence.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
The large number of "wanted" listings account for the small number of rental listings. If someone has points to rent, they don't even need to post a VPE ad. Rather, simply respond to the existing "wanted" listings. I wish there was a better way to increase the visibility of VPE beyond the tug community. No doubt there are many thousands who would use the service if only they knew of its existence.

We haven't done any advertising. Perhaps we should. It's been a low maintenance site with very few problems. There's a lot of trust because of TUG and sometimes I'm wary about it being more widely known. Scammers would find a way to take advantage of people if it became too popular.

I've thought of ways to expand the site while still keeping things free/low cost. Unfortunately free and low cost don't always go together.

David10225

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Barony Beach
I just wanted to add my thanks for this wonderful resource. I rented points last year and this year (just a week ago). With those points, we were able to go an an extra week vacation this year and we are very appreciative of being able to do this. Given the lack of listings this year compared to last year, I'm almost tempted to rent the 2018 points now. If only my daughter would get engaged, I would know if I'm paying of the honeymoon next year or not :)

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
There's a lot of trust because of TUG and sometimes I'm wary about it being more widely known. Scammers would find a way to take advantage of people if it became too popular.
And this trust is critically important in my opinion.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I'm an enrolled owner... could I convert my week to points and rent them out? Or is that not allowed?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'm an enrolled owner... could I convert my week to points and rent them out? Or is that not allowed?

It's allowed. You can also convert your Weeks to DC Points, make reservations using those Points and then rent out those reservations. When renting your Points to another DC Member it's easier to do a simple transfer between the two accounts, but being able to rent out reservations opens up your rental pool to more people (because you'll be able to rent to people who aren't DC Members and thus don't have DC accounts to which Points can be transferred.) Marriott does not limit the number of DC Points transfers in/out of our DC accounts or the number of Weeks or Points reservations to which guest/renter names can be added.

JKankis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Marriott Mountain Valley Lodge
We haven't done any advertising. Perhaps we should. It's been a low maintenance site with very few problems. There's a lot of trust because of TUG and sometimes I'm wary about it being more widely known. Scammers would find a way to take advantage of people if it became too popular.

I've thought of ways to expand the site while still keeping things free/low cost. Unfortunately free and low cost don't always go together.

I'm having difficulty registering for the VPE site. I've tried several times, but I'm not receiving the activation email. Checked my junk mail also. Not able to post anything to the Technical Forum on the VPE site either...does not give me any access. Can you help? thanks