• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How happy are you with your Marriott ownership?

• I'm very happy with my ownership.

Votes: 193 43.6%
  • I'm happy despite occasional problems, e.g., availability issues, Destination Club confusion, etc.

Votes: 111 25.1%
  • I'm neutral.

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • I'm a bit unhappy with my ownership, but have no current plans to dispose of my Marriott ownership.

Votes: 49 11.1%
  • I'm unhappy, want to sell and would not buy another Marriott.

Votes: 52 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
You need more choices for voting

You need more choices in your voting list. None really apply to us.

We have one 2BR annual gold ownership at Grande vista.

We have been quite happy with it as a trader.

We are quite happy with the Marriott units we have traded into...with especially high marks going to Marbella in Spain (3 times), Grande Vista, Newport Coast Villas, Surfwatch, and Summit Watch.

We are not happy with the DC program, as Marriott has made it unreasonable for single-ownership members to join DC.

We are not happy with the effect that the DC program has had on reducing the (early?) availability of Marriott resorts for trading.

We are not happy with the prospective resale value of our unit, or with what we were promised by Marriott in way of assistance were we to want to sell.

So color us somewhere in the middle, I guess.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
We are very Happy with our Marriott ownership as we are getting ready to leave for Marriott's Frenchman's Cove in St. Thomas on Saturday morning (weather permitting from the NY area). We have taken the time to understand the program and stay on top of using it for our best advantage. That reminds me, time to borrow some points from 2015 for a trip we are planning in 2014. Happy New Year to all!.
Brian

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
Extremely happy with my Premier Plus Ownership

It is getting better and better every year...:banana:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I wish Marriott had build more properties that lock off into 2 one bedroom units instead of studio and one bedroom. Like my starwood in II, I use the Marriott primarily as an exchanger and wish the studio had a little more power. They wouldn't have needed to build the unit larger or increased the sleeping capacity. Just build an extra wall or two and a door.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

I wish Marriott had build more properties that lock off into 2 one bedroom units instead of studio and one bedroom. Like my starwood in II, I use the Marriott primarily as an exchanger and wish the studio had a little more power. They wouldn't have needed to build the unit larger or increased the sleeping capacity. Just build an extra wall or two and a door.

I think those days are over, unfortunately. In the new points world, they wouldn't sell any of those units anyway, and I'm not sure if dual 1BRs is in their interest in the points world.

It does make the Shadow Ridge Enclaves more interesting, and I agree, I would have preferred more dual 1BRs and more 2BR/1BRs that were 3BRs.

Best,

Greg

amluckau

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Maui Ocean Club fixed week/unit, Marriott Pts, Welk Pts, Diamond Resorts Pts
Like Marriott Vacation Club & Destination Club but ...

Voted Neutral. Thus far all the Marriott resorts have been top notch. I'm disappointed with the decreasing value of points and top-of-the-line maint fees. We bought a fixed week, fixed unit for a premium before Maui Lahaina Towers were built (3 bdrm OF 8205/8206). We've thus far used it every year since it's been open. We really like it there but one reason we haven't traded is because the points we'd get won't even let us stay there then. That's NOT what they told us, i.e., they weren't truthful about the pts pgm. Also, the MF for both the week and pts is substantially greater than what we pay for Welk or DRI for equivalent trading power.

On another note, I've heard rumors that Marriott is looking to sell off the timeshare biz.

Last edited:

myhrse11

Reaction score
We're happy with our Marriott Timeshares. We own Ko Olina, Waiohai and purchased points as well. We've been able to use our ownership and enjoy the flexibility to meet our changing situation. My only complaint is the maintenance fees which are quite expensive for Hawaii and the points.

SnowDogDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
I realize this is an older thread, but it appears folks are still reading and responding sometimes.

I'm "mostly" happy with my purchase. I bought in to a fractional resort which gives me 13 weeks (every 4th week) per year. I'm very happy with that concept. It gives me a lot of flexibility from year to year. I dump my unused weeks in to a rental program that helps me recoup most of my HOA fees.

I have the option to put weeks in to II for exchange, but I'm still trying to learn more about it. My initial impression that II is better for people that plan their vacations 1+ year in advance and usually take an entire week at one place. But, like I said, still learning and those questions would be a different thread.

My beef with Marriott is the Destinations program. As owners, IMHO, our options and costs were VERY poorly explained to me. Destinations is exactly the type of program I wish II was. Marriott is now limiting who can contribute inventory to DC (you must have owned prior to a certain date) and the initial, discounted joiners fee jumped up before I even learned anything much about the program. Sigh.... so that is what is keeping me from being VERY happy. :)

aubailey

TUG Member
Reaction score
New Points Program

We bought a timeshare in HHI, SC 10 years ago at a very attractive price but a terrible week #49. We have had no problem trading for summer weeks in Cabo, Puerta Vallarta, and four years in Aruba. In the last couple of years I have "endured" the sales pitch for points. First the price is totally out of context, second I have had no problem trading without the extra expense. Unless Marriott starts playing "hard ball" on trading I see no reason to go with the points program. Seriously considering selling the timeshare and using TUG as a rental for weeks I need.:)

Pater Foley

Reaction score
Vacation Club points - financial analysis

The decision to purchase vacation club points can be difficult. The only way to determine if vacation club ownership represents a good value is to perform a financial analysis. This requires comparing costs associated with vacation club ownership with the costs of the alternative - paying retail costs for lodging fees. Before I purchased vacation club points, I created a spreadsheet to determine if there was a financial benefit associated with vacation club ownership. The spreadsheet was so helpful that I decided to create an application so that I could analyze future vacation club purchases. This application is called PointsCruncher [Link disabled.] I hope it helps make vacation club ownership decisions a bit easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lavenderblue

Reaction score
Ready to sell.

I purchased a week over 10 years ago and so I guess I am considered a "legacy" owner. When the Destination Club system began in 2010, it was so confusing even the Marriott agents didn't understand it so how could they be expected to explain it efficiently to the owners. Because of that confusion and not fully understanding it myself, I decided not to enroll. Now after the "dust has cleared" it appears to me that Marriott is charging more money to get less. Since I did not enroll back in 2010, I would have to pay 3 to 4 times more now to enroll. I didn't get the exchange through II I requested for 2014 (and was told by Marriott agent that future II exhanges would be less available)and so decided to request my week for 2015 be rented out rather than lose money, but still have not heard anything back on that...I am about ready to sell.... period ....and get out this system. It's not worth the agravation.... I had always loved Marriott hotels and that is why I chose to buy the timeshare in the first place, but now I am very disappointed in Marriott.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I purchased a week over 10 years ago and so I guess I am considered a "legacy" owner. When the Destination Club system began in 2010, it was so confusing even the Marriott agents didn't understand it so how could they be expected to explain it efficiently to the owners. Because of that confusion and not fully understanding it myself, I decided not to enroll. Now after the "dust has cleared" it appears to me that Marriott is charging more money to get less. Since I did not enroll back in 2010, I would have to pay 3 to 4 times more now to enroll. I didn't get the exchange through II I requested for 2014 (and was told by Marriott agent that future II exhanges would be less available)and so decided to request my week for 2015 be rented out rather than lose money, but still have not heard anything back on that...I am about ready to sell.... period ....and get out this system. It's not worth the agravation.... I had always loved Marriott hotels and that is why I chose to buy the timeshare in the first place, but now I am very disappointed in Marriott.

Before you sell, you should consider how many points you would get per year if you enroll your week. While the cost to enroll has increased, they also give you a lot more Plus Points (a one time use) to offset some or all of the enrollment cost depending on how you use them. The DC program does provide more flexibility in how we use our ownership, but the value you receive will continue to depend on how you use it. I would encourage you to do more research before taking any action either way.

Let us know what you decide.

Mike

MSH

Reaction score
Very Very Happy.

Before we had the timeshares it was always difficult for us to plan and take a vacation. There were always lots of excuses why we couldn't go: The dates didn't work, I don't want to go there, I'm busy, It's expensive, to name a few.

Now we have three weeks in Aruba and we have gone every year since 2007.

AsiaExpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm Interesting

I was a Sales Exec for Marriott in Phuket for some years....starting in 2003 and I am pleased to see most people happy...

However, don't you feel a lot of cases you could get the same type of accommodation for the same or less than your maintenance fee???

Here in Phuket a platinum week maintenance is around $1000 Marriott AP Points - whereas when I started selling it was $390!!! (Under weeks system).

Given that maintenance in the US is normally higher and rental weeks cheaper, does it make sense

The purchase price has also more than doubled from Marriott....

I know there are other none financial benefits but...?

Also, for a true comparison and to see the real value (if there is) one needs to include an % for hotel price inflation as this is really the point that unerpins any logic in the T/S or Marriott system

Any thoughts?

carrollon

Reaction score
Points System is BAD!

Dear All - I'm responding a bit late as this was posted last year, but I feel compelled to tell people how bad Marriott Vacation Clubs is now with the points system. They have designed the points system with so many rules and restrictions (their words, not mine) that you can literally lose thousands of dollars of value. If you were a newbie like me, navigating their too busy and poorly designed website, and trying to figure things out after being given a lot of bad information from the sales guy, there was nothing I could do and my points expired without use. One of the customer service people I spoke with literally told me "you'll know for next year". How can a program be so poorly designed that you have to learn things the hard way and figure it out for next year? Sincerely, there's no option at a certain point, you just lose your entire year's value. I would NOT join Marriott Vacation Club if anybody had warned me like I'm trying to warn them. Note - I'm a Platinum with Marriott and nearly a "lifer" as I'm just a few thousand points away from Lifetime Platinum. I believe in Marriott, just not Marriott Vacation Clubs.

Ec4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too complicated!!!

The system has gotten way too complicated. There are so many systems within Marriott and trying to keep track of it all is almost overwhelming. I admit we own in 4 different Marriott systems - A) weeks, B) weeks in Asia Pacific, C) destinations, D) Asia Pacific Points. Some direct purchase, some resale. The systems sort of overlap, but often don't and that complicates things tremendously. To top it off we have 7 different owner numbers! Why? Partly because systems are incompatible, partly because someone mistyped the name on the deed so Delores and Dolores don't match and thus, can't have the same owner number. Even for the same resort. Tried to get that fixed - it would require a new deed at additional cost. Also weeks are in the same online system, but maintenance fees have to be paid in 3 different ways - US and Europe online (multiple payments) when the system works and Phuket by mail to Thailand (last two years have been able to this by phone to US number, but takes considerable time to get to the right person to do that.

Weeks in AP (Phuket) were first purchase - very happy - used the weeks and traded sometimes.

Then purchased weeks in Spain and US. Use and trade these weeks regularly. Satisfied to a point. However, Options for trade have definitely been reduced in II and it is becoming more difficult to get initial reservations at resorts, particularly in Spain where many unsold weeks went into destinations program. In fact for this year I was unable to get a reservation in Spain at all even though I was calling in 2013. Every week in my season was supposedly completely reserved until I pointed out that it was impossible for every week to be sold out for the next year when the year hadn't begun yet. That could only happen if they oversold that type of week. After haggling with a supervisor who admitted that couldn't happen unless they reserved too many weeks for destinations club point owners, i got my weeks reserved.

Bought AP points next - totally different system (goes through Singapore). Use these for extra weeks when I need them, trade for MR points when we don't. But there are issues. Different dates for Gold and Platinum season for Phuket depending on which system (weeks or points) are used. Why? This just adds total confusion to the system. Also the weeks to points conversion in AP system is permanent, not annual selection as in the destinations program. Would be happy to do that (there is an even trade of weeks for points whether trading or using unlike the destinations program where there is a premium to trade points and the use them) except the seasons are better for me in weeks system and my platinum week includes 51/52 which is premium in points. See I told you it is complicated having all these different systems.

Bought and enrolled weeks in destinations program next. I like the flexibility BUT end up with odd lots of points that I paid for and pay maintenance fees on, but can't use because I didn't convert them a year before. Frustrating. Also means I have to maintain multiple II accounts. Wish I could do a permanent conversion of weeks to points an pay one maintenance fee.

So am I happy with MVCI? I love our vacations and love that it really forces us to vacation quite a bit by most standards. I hate the complexity of the various systems. Overall, I am am frustrated and NOT Happy, but will stick it out.

Last edited:

Woj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
3 marriott cypress harbour
1 marriott custom house
Maintenance fees are higher than paying for a vacation.

We have been Marriott owners since 1995. We currently own three Cypress Harbor weeks along with one Custom House week. Our maintenance fees are approx $5400 a year. We recently called Marriott in order to inquire about selling the Custom House week. We were told that currently they are not interested but if they were they would think about buying it for approx $9000, take a 40% fee leaving us with $5400. We paid $21,900 for the week. What a dissapointment! We usually go to Paris for two weeks every year and we can stay at the same Marriott, fly Delta, and it would be less than our yearly fees. Also, if we pay we can go the weeks we wznt rather than the weeks Interval has. Go figure!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We have been Marriott owners since 1995. We currently own three Cypress Harbor weeks along with one Custom House week. Our maintenance fees are approx $5400 a year. We recently called Marriott in order to inquire about selling the Custom House week. We were told that currently they are not interested but if they were they would think about buying it for approx $9000, take a 40% fee leaving us with $5400. We paid $21,900 for the week. What a dissapointment! We usually go to Paris for two weeks every year and we can stay at the same Marriott, fly Delta, and it would be less than our yearly fees. Also, if we pay we can go the weeks we wznt rather than the weeks Interval has. Go figure!

Perhaps you are not using your weeks to their potential, or you your travel pattern doesn't fit that of timeshare ownership. You could consider converting your weeks to MR points, then use those points to get a 7 night travel package where you get 7 nights in a category 8 or 9 hotel and 120,000 airline miles. Convert to two packages and two people could fly business or even first class to Europe and get two weeks in a hotel in Paris. I am thinking you would come out ahead. Though if you usually fly coach to Europe, the savings might just me a mirage.

mfratkin

TUG Member
Reaction score
WE habe neen Marriott owneres at Cypress Harbour for 15 years. We have successfully been able to exgange into Marriott oceanfront resorts in Hilton Head five times and Aruba three times. We have also stayed in Ocean Pointe and Willaimsburg. All of the stays have been wonderful. However, for the past couple of years we have seen a significant decline in aavailability of Marriott resorts. We were not ablwe to het into Hilton Head lasy year and have been uncuccessful so far this year. We were able to get into Ocean Pointe last year with a non-Marriott exchange that cost us less than 10% of Cypress Harbour. So we are starting to question the real value and wondering what we can do to better our chances for Hilton Head in the summer.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
So we are starting to question the real value and wondering what we can do to better our chances for Hilton Head in the summer.

I am not sure how to better you chance but I would like to give one opinion of what might be contributing to the challenge with summer HHI other than the popularity of owners going back.

Redweek has gotten very popular and it is as easy as ever to rent a unit out. The summer rental in HHI is relatively strong often getting almost 2 rental dollars for every MF dollar. This leaves fewer units up for trade.

As the Marriott usage systems get more complex to control vacation plans, I believe websites like Redweek and the rental section on tug will continue to grow in popularity. Spending cash for vacation is easy to control.

KauaiMark

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Marriott Beach Club
Very satisfied. Wasn't sure about adding the DC points option but it's turned out pretty good for us with being back in II to use "Getaway" weeks.

We've made use of our timeshare every year for "personal use", trading, renting, exchange for DC points to bank & borrowing for a 3-family trip this year to Kauai.

...Mark

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Very satisfied. Wasn't sure about adding the DC points option but it's turned out pretty good for us with being back in II to use "Getaway" weeks.

We've made use of our timeshare every year for "personal use", trading, renting, exchange for DC points to bank & borrowing for a 3-family trip this year to Kauai.

...Mark

My opinion is that (almost) all of. Marriott. Hawaii Owners are happy with. Marriott and the DC. They are the Kings of the system with their ownership.
Caribbean/Aruba/St Thomas are far from happy as our expensive weeks were treated poorly in the DC.

YMMV :cool::rolleyes::ignore:

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
My opinion is that (almost) all of. Marriott. Hawaii Owners are happy with. Marriott and the DC. They are the Kings of the system with their ownership.
Caribbean/Aruba/St Thomas are far from happy as our expensive weeks were treated poorly in the DC.

YMMV :cool::rolleyes::ignore:
Add St Kitts to Aruba / St Thomas.
We really enjoy the resort.
We also still, for now anyway, get good trades through II when we don't stay there.
However, St Kitts has also been treated poorly in DC even though it has our most expensive MFs. (We do find DC a very worthwhile option for electing for points with our other resorts though)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.