• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2012] Possibly Buying into DVC

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay question.. when people say to buy a loaded contract and account for $10 per point for that loaded contract--how does that work.

So say 100 points at $60 per point = $6000. and it comes with 100 points from 2012. Do I account for $10 per point ($1000) so my true cost is $50 per point or $5000 for the contract? Do folks normally pay maintenance fees on the points that the contract comes with?

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everything is negotiable, sellers will normally ask for current years MF to be reimbursed if points are included. Typically because there are so many SSR contracts you could go in supper low and wait for a counter. People have been offering $20 below asking with seller to pay MF and buyer to pay closing.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok sorry more questions... I have this fear of overbuying. Right now mom comes with us so a 2 Br is needed when we go. Eventually mom may come less often then all we would need us a 1 Br is it complicated to have two contracts one at say 100 points and one at .150 points? As the kids get older maybe sell off 100 points? What are the advantages of buying a single large contract vice two smaller ones besides paying closing twice for two contracts?

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok sorry more questions... I have this fear of overbuying. Right now mom comes with us so a 2 Br is needed when we go. Eventually mom may come less often then all we would need us a 1 Br is it complicated to have two contracts one at say 100 points and one at .150 points? As the kids get older maybe sell off 100 points?

that is a good plan - not uncommon.

the contracts need to be titled exactly the same and have the same UY month. then they should be combined under one membership number and will function as one contract for booking (at 11 months if you buy into the same resort, or at 7 months, if you buy different resorts) but can still be sold or willed separately.

What are the advantages of buying a single large contract vice two smaller ones besides paying closing twice for two contracts?

it's generally a little cheaper per pt to buy larger contracts (it's tougher to resell larger contracts - fewer buyers willing to pay the higher overall price means less demand.) but i'd think closing costs are probably the main issue.

chrisdu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points at VGC are likely to have a higher resale value than SSR, some thing to factor in before you commit to the purchase.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok sorry more questions... I have this fear of overbuying. Right now mom comes with us so a 2 Br is needed when we go. Eventually mom may come less often then all we would need us a 1 Br is it complicated to have two contracts one at say 100 points and one at .150 points? As the kids get older maybe sell off 100 points? What are the advantages of buying a single large contract vice two smaller ones besides paying closing twice for two contracts?

Keep in mind that it might be okay to have the kids in the living room when they're small but as they get bigger , you'll appreciate the two bedroom more.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that it might be okay to have the kids in the living room when they're small but as they get bigger , you'll appreciate the two bedroom more.

To the OP, we just have 2 kids, when we bought DVC they were 5/10 and have been doing 2brs from the start. Now the eldest is 16, the biggest plus is the 2nd bathroom, because I think he could give some girls a run for the money in bathroom time in the morning.

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
WE have never regretted "buying too much". We occasionally use 1 bedroom, but so often we take a kids friends or two friends or invite our family and friends. Of course when we bought we were only going to use the one bedroom...but after the luxury of 2 room privacy it is hard to go back. Our kids are older now (members 17 years) and I like themhaving a clean nice place to go with friends and I am hoping grandkids soon.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Availability update

As of today I can book my arrival as far out as July 23, 2013 at any non-home resort.

The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Avalability for 3/23 thru 7/23 [NOTE: Easter is on 3/30/2013]

Studio (sleeps 4)
Sun 4/7, Wed 4/17, Mon 4/20, Thur 5/16, Fri 5/31, Fri 6/7, Wed 6/12, Sat 7/20

One Bedroom (sleeps 5)
Sat 3/23, Fri 3/29 - Sun 3/31, Sat 4/6, Mon 4/8, Wed 4/10, Fri 4/12, Sun 4/14, Fri, 4/19, Sat 4/20, Mon 4/22, Fri 4/26, Sun 5/5, Fri 5/10, Sat 5/11, Tues 5/14, Fri, 5/31, Mon 7/8, Tues 7/9, Fri 7/12, Sat 7/13, Wed 7/17 - Tues 7/23

Two Bedroom Villa (lockoff sleeps 9)
Mon 4/22, Fri 5/31, Sat 6/29, Sun 6/30, Sat 7/20

Two Bedroom Villa (dedicated sleeps 9)
Sun 3/24, Fri 3/29 - Sun 3/31, Fri 4/5, Sat 4/6, Tues 4/9 - Thur 4/11, Sun 4/14, Wed 4/17, Fri 4/19, Sat 4/27, Tues 4/30, Tues 5/7 - Sun 5/12, Tues 5/14, Wed 5/15, Fri 5/17, Sat 5/18, Mon 5/20 - Thur 5/23, Tues 5/28, Sat 6/1, Mon 6/3, Fri 6/7, Sat 6/15, Sun 6/23, Wed 6/26, Fri 6/28 - Sun 6/30, Fri 7/5 - Tues 7/23

Three Bedroom Grand Villa (sleeps 12)
Fri 3/29 - Sun 3/31, Sat 4/6 - Mon 4/8, Wed 4/17, Thur 4/18, Sun Apr 21 - Thurs 4/25, Sun 4/28 - Wed 5/1, Mon 5/6, Tues 5/7, Sun 5/12 - Wed 5/15, Sun 5/19, Tues 5/21, Fri 5/24, Sun 5/26, Fri 5/31, Sat 6/1, Wed 6/26 - Sat 6/29, Wed 7/10 - Sun 7/14, Thurs 7/18, Fri 7/19, Mon 7/22

Aulani, Disney Vacation Club® Villas, Ko Olina, Hawaii
Avalability for 6/29 thru 7/23

Deluxe Studio - Standard View
sun 6/30 - Wed 7/3, Fri 7/5 - Mon 7/8, Wed 7/10, Mon 7/15 - Tues 7/23

Deluxe Studio - Island Gardens View
Sun 6/30 - Wed 7/3, Fri 7/5 - Fri 7/12, Thur 7/18, Sat 7/20, Mon 7/22, Tues 7/23

Deluxe Studio - Poolside Gardens View
Sat 6/29 - Tue 7/2, Fri 7/5 - Thur 7/11, Sat 7/13 - Wed 7/17. Fri 7/19 - Tues 7/23

Deluxe Studio - Ocean View
Sat 6/29, Mon 7/1 - Wed 7/10, Fri 7/12 - Tues 7/23

1 Bedroom Villa - Standard View
Tues 7/2 - Tues 7/9, Thur 7/11 - Sat 7/13, Sun 7/14, Wed 7/17

1 Bedroom Villa - Island Gardens View
Sat 6/29, Mon 7/1 - Fri 7/5, Sun 7/7 - Tues 7/9. Thurs 7/11 - Sun 7/14, Wed 7/17 - Fri 7/19

1 Bedroom Villa - Poolside Gardens View
Tues 7/2, Wed 7/3, Fri 7/5, Wd 7/10, Sat 7/13, Sun 7/14, Tues 7/16, Mon 7/22

1 Bedroom Villa - Ocean View
Mon 7/2 - Mon 7/8, Sat 7/13, Mon 7/15 - Tues 7/23

2 Bedroom Lock-Off Villa - Standard View
Tues 7/2, Wed 7/3, Fri 7/5 - Mon 7/8, Wed 7/17

2 Bedroom Lock-Off Villa - Island Gardens View
Mon 7/1 - Wed 7/3, Fri 7/5, Sun 7/7 - Tues 7/9, Thur 7/11 - Sat 7/13, Thur 7/18

2 Bedroom Lock-Off Villa - Poolside Gardens View
Tues 7/2, Fri 7/5, Wed 7/10, Sat 7/13, Sun 7/14, Tues 7/16, Mon 7/22

2 Bedroom Lock-Off Villa - Ocean View
Mon 7/1 - Fri 7/5, Sun 7/7, Sat 7/13, Mon 7/15 - Tues 7/23

2 Bedroom Villa - Standard View
Mon 7/1, Thur 7/4, Fri 7/5, Mon 7/15, Sat 7/20, Mon 7/22, Tues 7/23

2 Bedroom Villa - Island Gardens View
Sat 7/1 - Fri 7/5, Sun 7/7 - Wed 7/10, Fri 7/12, Sat 7/13, Mon 7/15, wed 7/17, Thur 7/18, Tues 7/23

2 Bedroom Villa - Poolside Gardens View
Sat 7/1 - Fri 7/5, Mon 7/8, Fri 7/12, Sat 7/13, Tues 7/16, Wed 7/17, Fri 7/19, Mon 7/22, Tues 7/23

2 Bedroom Villa - Ocean View
Mon 7/1 - Sat 7/6, Sat 7/13, Tues 7/16 - Tues 7/23

3 Bedroom Grand Villa - Standard View
none

3 Bedroom Grand Villa - Ocean View
Tues 7/2, Wed 7/3, Mon 7.8, Fri 7/12, Sat 7/13, Thur 7/18, Fri 7/19, Mon 7/22, Tues 7/23

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! You read my mind. I was wondering what summer availablilty was but didn't want to trouble you further.

I think I have the husband convinced we should buy. Just a matter of figuring out how many points to get at this point. Alwayaonvac, thank you so much!

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pearl City,

Have you considered WorldMark, Wyndham or HGVC? I think all three of those may work better for you than DVC. DVC is only worth buying if you really have to have Disney or you get a deal too good to turn down.

I currently own Wyndham, WorldMark, HGVC, DVC and Bluegreen. I sold off both of my Marriott's, my RCI points and my Orange Lake unit and I just closed on my first DVC package last week. I sold the Marriotts because they screwed up by creating a very bad point system. I bought the DVC because it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Just look at the cost difference in usage forgetting about purchase price for a moment.

My DVC 150 point package at Saratoga Springs has maintenance fees of $709.50. That will get me 3 nights in a 1br oceanview unit for magic season at Aulani. MF cost of $236.50 per night for a 1br unit. That is extremely expensive. I will probably use it for a few years and then sell it for a nice profit.

For Wyndham, I got a 2br upper level unit in Waikiki for 3 nights for Dec 30-Jan 2. That cost me 63,000 points with my platinum discount and an upgrade. My MF is $4.04/1000 points. So, total cost $254.52 or $84.84/night. Even at full price, the unit would have been 207,000 points which is $836.28 or $278.76/night. A bit too pricey for me, but a great value at the discounted rate.

I just checked HGVC since I am an owner there. I can get a 2br oceanview unit at the Lagoon Tower for $150/night plus tax for Jan 5-7. With tax, the fee is $341.88 or $170.94. This is the open season rate which is basically bonus time you can purchase just because you are an owner. Availability isn't bad because there are a ton of cancellations. I could have gotten New Years at HHV, but I called my wife to confirm and then lost it. So, we are staying at the Wyndham instead.

If you owned a small WorldMark package, you could stay at the WorldMark Anaheim resort which is a very nice and relatively new purpose built timeshare resort and about 1.5 miles from Disneyland.

The advantage of a WorldMark package is the flexibilty. You can buy a small package and rent credits from other owners to stay longer. Or, you can rent your credits to other owners like me and get a stay at HGVC or Wyndham Waikiki.

More importantly, you will get tired of Disney. We used to live in Florida and we had seasonal passes. We went to Disney every month. My kids got tired of it. So, instead of Disney, we were able to take them to the following resorts just in the WorldMark system: San Diego, Oceanside, Dolphin's Cove, Pismo Beach, Marina Dunes (near Monterrey), Bass Lake (near Yosemite), Depoe Bay, Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria, Whistler, Canmore (near Banff), Yellowstone, Estes Park, St George, Las Vegas and Reno. And that is just what I recall.

Disney is a specialty product and is good for a very small group of Disney fanatics. I love Disney and went on a Disney Cruise to Alaska this past summer. However, I am not a fanatic and value matters to me. I own Disney only because I got a deal too good to turn down. And, to rent that Aulani unit would cost at least $500/night. For that, I'd rather rent a nice oceanfront 3br unit in Lanikai.

I live in Kahala. If you ever come to town or my neck of the woods, we can have lunch and I can tell you how I do things and maybe even help you get a great deal on something. Let me know.

I have a few groupons for Honolulu Burger Co. if you want to get lunch. Burgers are too expensive, but a good value at 50% off.

Jim

Last edited:

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pearl City,

Have you considered WorldMark, Wyndham or HGVC? I think all three of those may work better for you than DVC. DVC is only worth buying if you really have to have Disney or you get a deal too good to turn down.

I currently own Wyndham, WorldMark, HGVC, DVC and Bluegreen. I sold off both of my Marriott's, my RCI points and my Orange Lake unit and I just closed on my first DVC package last week. I sold the Marriotts because they screwed up by creating a very bad point system. I bought the DVC because it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Just look at the cost difference in usage forgetting about purchase price for a moment.

My DVC 150 point package at Saratoga Springs has maintenance fees of $709.50. That will get me 3 nights in a 1br oceanview unit for magic season at Aulani. MF cost of $236.50 per night for a 1br unit. That is extremely expensive. I will probably use it for a few years and then sell it for a nice profit.

For Wyndham, I got a 2br upper level unit in Waikiki for 3 nights for Dec 30-Jan 2. That cost me 63,000 points with my platinum discount and an upgrade. My MF is $4.04/1000 points. So, total cost $254.52 or $84.84/night. Even at full price, the unit would have been 207,000 points which is $836.28 or $278.76/night. A bit too pricey for me, but a great value at the discounted rate.

I just checked HGVC since I am an owner there. I can get a 2br oceanview unit at the Lagoon Tower for $150/night plus tax for Jan 5-7. With tax, the fee is $341.88 or $170.94. This is the open season rate which is basically bonus time you can purchase just because you are an owner. Availability isn't bad because there are a ton of cancellations. I could have gotten New Years at HHV, but I called my wife to confirm and then lost it. So, we are staying at the Wyndham instead.

If you owned a small WorldMark package, you could stay at the WorldMark Anaheim resort which is a very nice and relatively new purpose built timeshare resort and about 1.5 miles from Disneyland.

The advantage of a WorldMark package is the flexibilty. You can buy a small package and rent credits from other owners to stay longer. Or, you can rent your credits to other owners like me and get a stay at HGVC or Wyndham Waikiki.

More importantly, you will get tired of Disney. We used to live in Florida and we had seasonal passes. We went to Disney every month. My kids got tired of it. So, instead of Disney, we were able to take them to the following resorts just in the WorldMark system: San Diego, Oceanside, Dolphin's Cove, Pismo Beach, Marina Dunes (near Monterrey), Bass Lake (near Yosemite), Depoe Bay, Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria, Whistler, Canmore (near Banff), Yellowstone, Estes Park, St George, Las Vegas and Reno. And that is just what I recall.

Disney is a specialty product and is good for a very small group of Disney fanatics. I love Disney and went on a Disney Cruise to Alaska this past summer. However, I am not a fanatic and value matters to me. I own Disney only because I got a deal too good to turn down. And, to rent that Aulani unit would cost at least $500/night. For that, I'd rather rent a nice oceanfront 3br unit in Lanikai.

I live in Kahala. If you ever come to town or my neck of the woods, we can have lunch and I can tell you how I do things and maybe even help you get a great deal on something. Let me know.

I have a few groupons for Honolulu Burger Co. if you want to get lunch. Burgers are too expensive, but a good value at 50% off.

Jim

I'm probably going to buy a Worldmark (or looking into Shell) to fill in years where I don't have enough points to stay at Disney with my DVC if we end up going as much as we have been. I've been scrutinizing between Worldmark HGVC and Shell as my other point based Timeshare Option to complement my portfolio....But my family is THAT crazy Disney family. But you're right, Disney is very expensive, that being said, it's also expensive to rent if you stay on property, and unfortunately, if we stay on property, which we would like to at least every other year, we need to rent two rooms to accomdate the grandparents that like to come with us and our three kids. We tried the family suites at Disneyland accross the street on Harbor and while it worked, to me, it was more work for me than anything--the laundry was a walk away, we had to make a trip to Target for Milk three times that week because the mini fridge was too small and my kids drink THAT much milk, and trying to feed three little ones in a hotel room breakfast is no fun. I want my Disney vacations to be a vacation for me too. Which means I want to not walk far, I want to have a washer dryer in my room so that I can spend time with the kids and get the laundry done (whcih Shell won't give me I know!) and I want that full kitchen so I"m not stressing about breakfast each morning. Yes the kids could eat cereal and milk everyday but even I get bored with that. Worldmark is a bit farther but I'd have that full kitchen and I'd have that washer dryer in room.

I also want the Aulani experience, no where else on Oahu is there a lazy river, Disney characters, and that inclusive child care that my kids actually like so I can have my vacation too.

Though we have to weigh out the costs as Disney is expensive. I'll PM you a little later after the Xmas holiday when I have more time :)

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pearl City,

Fair enough. You are Disney Fanatics and want it at any cost. Fantastic. You are not alone.

Let me help you with the proper total cost of ownership economic analysis.

I found a pending deal at The Disney Store for some Grand Californian points. It's a recent deal, so the numbers are current.

250 annual points at Grand Californian, 327 prior year points available.
- Purchase Price: $24,000
- Closing: $625
Total out the door cost of acquiring: $24,625. (Note: the 2013 maintenance fees of $1145 (est) are required at time of close. However, the points associated with those maintenance fees are not included in this cost of acquisition because those points are not described in the purchase agreement). Total cash required at close with 2013 maintenance fees: $25,770.

Also, since you will start usage in 2013, rent off the current available usage at $11/point. So, you can deduct $327 * $11 = $3597. So, your adjusted upfront costs are: $24,625 - $3597 = $21,028.

2013 maintenance fees (act) are: $4.5752 per point @ 250 = $1143.80

The RTU expires in 2060, so starting in 2013 there will be 48 years of usage left in this ownership. For the purpose of this analysis, I assume that inflation does not effect the numbers. This is not a good assumption, but I don't have an inflation forecast, so this assumes that inflation for rentals of DVC and the maintenance fees are about the same over the next 48 years. It is more likely that MF inflation will exceed rental inflation, so this analysis is a best case.

To get total cost of ownership, you will need to annualize the upfront costs and add the annual fees. To make an apples to apples comparison, assume you are taking a 48 year loan at 4%. This works because you turn your upfront costs into annual costs.

A 48 year loan with a 4% interest rate an principal of $21,028 has a monthly payment of $82.18 per month or $986.16 per year. Add maintenance fees of $1143.80

Total annual cost of ownership: $2129.96 for 250 annual points.

For 250 points, you can get 5 nights (Sun-Th) in the Choice Season which is off season. You need to rent 10 points from Disney at $15/point. When adding that to the above, you total cost of the stay is $2279.96.

Total cost per night for Travel on Sun-Th in Oct: $455.99

If you want to travel in Mar, that is Magic Season. So, you can stay 3 nights including both weekend nights for 247 points.

Total cost per night for Travel from Fri-Mon (3 nights) in March is $701.47.

As an FYI, I just checked WorldMark Anaheim for Fri-Mon for March 8-11, 2013, it was 9400 credits and occupancy tax of $63.87. If you rented the credits at $.055/credit and $50 for housekeeping token, your total cost for a 2br there would be: $630.87 or $210.29 per night.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a side note, I have done the following analysis several times over the past 8 years and the numbers come out about the same every time. The conclusion is that by owning a resale DVC, you actually can earn about a 7% return on investment.

Here is how you compute it.

Take the upfront capital cost of $21,028 that I compute above. Now, take a loan of $21,028 above at 7.419% interest. Your monthly payment would be: $133.85. Multiply by 12 and you get $1606.20. Add the MF of $1143.50 and you get about $2750. This is what you can rent those points off at $11/point.

This must be adjusted for maintenance fee increases that happen annually and would be offset by point rental rate increases over time. Assuming they equal over the next 48 years, you can choose not to finance the deal, pay cash for the package and you would be saving yourself the 7.419% which is your return on investment.

So, buy that package is actually not a bad deal if you simply rent off the points every year and use it only when you want to use it.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Wow! You read my mind. I was wondering what summer availablilty was but didn't want to trouble you further.

I think I have the husband convinced we should buy. Just a matter of figuring out how many points to get at this point. Alwayaonvac, thank you so much!

You're welcome :)

Regarding, how many points to get...

I suggest thinking about which season you would most likely visit Disneyland, what size unit, how often and for how many days.
For example, if you plan to visit Disneyland, every other year for a week in a two bedroom during the two lowest seasons (Choice & Adventure) then you need at least 390 DVC Points (or 195 DVC points every other year).

You could pick up an Old Key West for 230 DVC points for $12K. NOTE: OKW contracts expire 2042 or 2057.
(see reference #1353933 at this resale site - http://www.fidelityresales.com/Disney-Old_Key_West_Resort_Villas.php)

Link to DVC Points Charts
Grand Californian - http://advc.disney.go.com/media/dvc...DisneyVacationClub_GrandCalifornianVillas.pdf
Aulani - http://advc.disney.go.com/media/dvc...intsChart_DisneyVacationClub_AulaniVillas.pdf

Link to DVC Maintenance Fee History (per point by DVC resort) - http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/owning-dvc/faqs?task=view&id=51

Last edited:
Reaction score
I bought the DVC because it was too good of a deal to pass up.

What are the details of something that is too good of a deal to pass up?

Did you use a popular reseller or did you find a seller on your own

Did you seen the President when he was in Hawaii

Last edited:

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the details of something that is too good of a deal to pass up?

Did you use a popular reseller or did you find a seller on your own

Did you seen the President when he was in Hawaii

Just a really great purchase price. I am a broker, so I didn't need to use another reseller to purchase the package.

I did not get inconvenienced by the President. I am very pleased his trip was cut down to 5 days. When he is here, it costs Hawaii residents lots of money due to the security requirements of protecting a President and everywhere he goes gets blocked off and jammed. I think New Yorkers understand.

He stays on the Kailua side of the island. So, the majority of the traffic jams are there except when he visits the rest of the island to sample all the famous spots.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry typing from my phone because I'm having computer issues.

The numbers really only work in my mind if I buy at Saratoga to stay at VGC which is why alwaysonvac was doing availability posts for me at 7 months out. Based on what I have heard from past friends who have rented from an Orlando owner for disneyland it seems to work. I just never had a full picture of dates available before so akwaysonvac has been nice enough to help out.

I also run my numbers assuming ill get zero if I resell as you never know what the future holds, which I why I can't get vgc to work for me, in my head. Lol.
But curious, where do you get a 48 year loan at 4 percent?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I'll tell you right now that if you plan to get into VGC at the 7 month mark it will be next to impossible. At the peak times during spring break, summer vacation and major holidays it will be very very hard at the 7 month mark. It is possible if you book within the first hour exactly at the 7 month mark.

It has been possible to book VGC within the first week of the 7 month mark in the past. But this year it has been VERY hard and impossible in some cases. I tried to book at the 7 month mark for June 15 till 22 2013 and it was not possible. Tried to book online at exactly 8:00am EST and studios were gone at 8:00am and 12 seconds. Tried for the whole week waking up early and got not one day in a studio. You are looking for a 1br and it should be a little easier. I own at SSR,HHI,OKW and Aulani. I never bought at VGC since I have been more than able to book at the 7 month mark. But with my son in school and now we can only go during school breaks it has been getting harder every year. This year has been near impossible. It has forced me into buying a VGC contract.

Just some thought for you pearl city as I am local like you and we love going to VGC and the other places that you like on Oahu.

Actually started off slow buying timeshares and now own Hilton(waikiki), Disney(aulani and grand cal), Marriott(koolina) and Grand Pacific Palisades (legoland) a few others. Wanted to be able to book where I wanted and when I wanted. You will love open season at Hilton Hawaiian Village if you decide HGVC is right for you.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you right now that if you plan to get into VGC at the 7 month mark it will be next to impossible. At the peak times during spring break, summer vacation and major holidays it will be very very hard at the 7 month mark. It is possible if you book within the first hour exactly at the 7 month mark.

It has been possible to book VGC within the first week of the 7 month mark in the past. But this year it has been VERY hard and impossible in some cases. I tried to book at the 7 month mark for June 15 till 22 2013 and it was not possible. Tried to book online at exactly 8:00am EST and studios were gone at 8:00am and 12 seconds. Tried for the whole week waking up early and got not one day in a studio. You are looking for a 1br and it should be a little easier. I own at SSR,HHI,OKW and Aulani. I never bought at VGC since I have been more than able to book at the 7 month mark. But with my son in school and now we can only go during school breaks it has been getting harder every year. This year has been near impossible. It has forced me into buying a VGC contract.

Just some thought for you pearl city as I am local like you and we love going to VGC and the other places that you like on Oahu.

Actually started off slow buying timeshares and now own Hilton(waikiki), Disney(aulani and grand cal), Marriott(koolina) and Grand Pacific Palisades (legoland) a few others. Wanted to be able to book where I wanted and when I wanted. You will love open season at Hilton Hawaiian Village if you decide HGVC is right for you.

Frank808 are you trying for 1 brs and studios or 2 brs?

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Sorry typing from my phone because I'm having computer issues.

The numbers really only work in my mind if I buy at Saratoga to stay at VGC which is why alwaysonvac was doing availability posts for me at 7 months out. Based on what I have heard from past friends who have rented from an Orlando owner for disneyland it seems to work. I just never had a full picture of dates available before so akwaysonvac has been nice enough to help out.

I also run my numbers assuming ill get zero if I resell as you never know what the future holds, which I why I can't get vgc to work for me, in my head. Lol.
But curious, where do you get a 48 year loan at 4 percent?

I know it is very tempting to buy SSR to stay at VGC but I personally think that would be a mistake. You live in Hawaii and you will likely use your DVC primarily at VGC or Aulani. Therefore IMO you should own at one of those places- what will you do if you can't get a VGC reservation with SSR points? You will be out of luck or else buying plane tix to Orlando (or renting your points out, I suppose). Not that in Linda's posts, it always looks like there is tons of availability, but at VGC there are mostly scattered days, not full weeks. It looks like Fri and Sat are the hardest nights to get. I assume if you fly to LA from Hawaii you will want to stay at least a week.

VGC is absolutely wide open for VGC owners at 11 months. You can pretty much get whatever full week you want. It will be so much easier to use over time than trying to make SSR work reliably.

H

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know it is very tempting to buy SSR to stay at VGC but I personally think that would be a mistake. You live in Hawaii and you will likely use your DVC primarily at VGC or Aulani. Therefore IMO you should own at one of those places- what will you do if you can't get a VGC reservation with SSR points? You will be out of luck or else buying plane tix to Orlando (or renting your points out, I suppose). Not that in Linda's posts, it always looks like there is tons of availability, but at VGC there are mostly scattered days, not full weeks. It looks like Fri and Sat are the hardest nights to get. I assume if you fly to LA from Hawaii you will want to stay at least a week.

VGC is absolutely wide open for VGC owners at 11 months. You can pretty much get whatever full week you want. It will be so much easier to use over time than trying to make SSR work reliably.

H

Yeah you guys are making me think. Aulani is not my concern as we can go whenever for short stays. I really appreciate everyones input.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Frank808 are you trying for 1 brs and studios or 2 brs?

I am going for studio and 1br. Prefer to use studio for the first half of the trip then get a 1br for the second half. We went 2 weeks in a studio last year and it was way to small for the 2 of us and 7yr old son. You would be looking at a 1br if it's the 5 of you.

Studios are the first to go and hardest to get. 1br do not last much longer. The 2br are the last to go and I have seen pretty good availability with the 3br for non holidays.

Also if you wanted to book June 24 or later the studios and 1br did last for about a day before being booked. It could be because the points needed per night went up about 30% because it went from choice season to magic season.

Getting aulani at 7 months is not very hard right now if you will take whatever is available(very possible with you being local). Meaning if you do not mind a studio, 1br or 2br and views are a non issue you will be able to book with non aulani points.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I am going for studio and 1br. Prefer to use studio for the first half of the trip then get a 1br for the second half. We went 2 weeks in a studio last year and it was way to small for the 2 of us and 7yr old son. You would be looking at a 1br if it's the 5 of you.

Studios are the first to go and hardest to get. 1br do not last much longer. The 2br are the last to go and I have seen pretty good availability with the 3br for non holidays.

Also if you wanted to book June 24 or later the studios and 1br did last for about a day before being booked. It could be because the points needed per night went up about 30% because it went from choice season to magic season.

Getting aulani at 7 months is not very hard right now if you will take whatever is available(very possible with you being local). Meaning if you do not mind a studio, 1br or 2br and views are a non issue you will be able to book with non aulani points.

There was a thread on the disboards that talked about the difficulty of booking Aulani as well in June 2013 during Choice Season (June 1 -23) before the rates go up in Magic Season for the rest of the summer (June 24 thru Aug 31).

I'm assuming June during Choice season will always be hard to book at the 7 month mark.

Disboard thread - http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3023272

Last edited: