• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2012 - Please post your 2012 Starwood maintenance fees here

BluEyezNSC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheraton Steamboat Resort EOY 2 BR

Maintenance Fee(s) $ 626.20
Tax - If Applicable $ 32.34
Membership Fee - If Applicable $ 125.00

Current Year Charges $ 783.54

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Are property taxes included in MFs?

It depends on the location of the resort. I believe for most states, property taxes are included (I know they are for Arizona & Florida). For California properties, taxes are sent our separately.

Glorian

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on the location of the resort. I believe for most states, property taxes are included (I know they are for Arizona & Florida). For California properties, taxes are sent our separately.

Glorian

Our WDW units MF bills had the property tax on them...

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
Forgot to post these way back in December, thought they would come in handy now:
Sheraton Vistana Resort, Courts 2BR Townhome (upper):

Maintenance Fee(s) $ 923.22
Tax $ 48.31
Total $ 971.53

No ARDA/ROC for Canadians (that's illegal) so that is all we pay! At this rate of increase, we'll be breaking through the $1000 barrier next year...

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our WDW units MF bills had the property tax on them...

Ok, I always understood Riverside (and other Calif. counties) billed each owner individually. So either it changed with WDW, or I'm mistaken. Can any one report on WMH or one of the Palm Desert Marriotts?

Glorian

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ok, I always understood Riverside (and other Calif. counties) billed each owner individually. So either it changed with WDW, or I'm mistaken. Can any one report on WMH or one of the Palm Desert Marriotts?

Glorian

I pay WMH taxes to the county separate from my MF.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

Glorian

Our MF bills for SVR (Cascades, Spas) and WDW all had separate line items on them for "2012 Estimated Real Estate Tax".

I believe that they have to be explicitly stated, and just can't be lumped in to the MF components. Do you actually receive a separate bill from the tax authority? Perhaps us foreigners are treated differently, and SVO bills us on the tax authority's behalf?

Our MF bills for our other locations didn't have the separated line item -- it's included as a MF component ("Ad Valorem Tax" and/or "Property Tax").

On MSC, it says:

The maintenance fee billing may also include real estate taxes collected by the Managing Agent on behalf of the local governing authority responsible for real estate tax collection if they are not billed separately. They are collected in advance of the time they are due.

Last edited:

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our MF bills for SVR (Cascades, Spas) and WDW all had separate line items on them for "2012 Estimated Real Estate Tax".

Do you actually receive a separate bill from the tax authority? Perhaps us foreigners are treated differently, and SVO bills us on the tax authority's behalf?

I only own Arizona resorts, so I don't have first hand experience with taxes and Calif. timeshares. The taxes for the Arizona units are paid with the mf and listed as a separate line item similar to your units.

I based my comments on previous TUG postings that said Calif. bills property taxes to individual owners. Ken's reply supports this.

It may be that as a Canadian owner, the HOA has to collect the taxes from you and then pay the county. Or, things changed with WDW.

Glorian

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
YYJMSP was talking about a line item in a budget sent out by Starwood. The MF is a separate line in Starwood's budget which is billed as part of the MF on an estimated basis and later billed to and paid paid by the association to the county on behalf of the owners.

Ken was talking about a tax bill from the county - not an MF bill from Starwood. In CA the MF does not cover taxes. The separate tax bill covers taxes. Salty

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
YYJMSP was talking about a line item in a budget sent out by Starwood. The MF is a separate line in Starwood's budget which is billed as part of the MF on an estimated basis and later billed to and paid paid by the association to the county on behalf of the owners.

Ken was talking about a tax bill from the county - not an MF bill from Starwood. In CA the MF does not cover taxes. The separate tax bill covers taxes. Salty

Thanks for trying to interpret what I said, but no, that's not it...

My WDW invoices have 4 items on the front page:

2012 Operating Assessment
2012 Replacement Reserve
2012 Estimated Real Estate Tax
2012 SVN Membership Fee Add'l Week

On the back page, it shows the MF budget detailed breakdown for the total amounts corresponding to the Operating Assessment and Replacement Reserve amounts from the front page. There is no matching amount corresponding to the Estimated Real Estate Tax amount from the front page.

In the MF budget detailed breakdown, for the line items that correspond to taxes, there is $0.95 amount (per 2BR L/O annual unit week) and a footnote stating that that amount is for "Real Estate Taxes on the Maintenance Weeks, Fitness Center, Engineering/Houskeeping Area, Parking Garage & Lobby", and that the "Taxes on each Vacation Ownership interest will be billed separately in accordance with the applicable California statutes". I read that to say that they can't bundle the real estate taxes in with the MF amount, and have to show it separately, which they do on the front page.

My SVR invoices show the same 4 items, and the same corresponding MF budget detailed breakdown on the back page. These properties show a $0.00 amount for the line items that correspond to taxes, and a footnote stating that the "Real estate taxes on each unit will be billed separately in accordance with the applicable Florida Statues". As with WDW, I read that to say that they can't bundle the real estate taxes in with the MF amount, and have to show it separately, which they do on the front page.

The invoices for the other non-Florida and non-California units do not have a line item for the "Estimated Real Estate Tax" on the front page. Instead, they have amounts buried in the MF budget detailed breakdown, so the taxes are part of the MF.

Are you suggesting that I am going to receive another bill directly from the county that is in addition to the amount already paid as the "Estimated Real Estate Tax"?

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
YYJMSP, ... From past posting, I think you bought your WDW unit in 2011 (i.e. after 1/1/11) from Starwood (high price).

WDW and WMH are both in Riverside County CA. I purchased a WMH at a low resale price after 1/1/11. My WMH MF contains no "Tax, if Applicable" charge. I received a tax bill from the Riverside County Treasurer.

You indicate you have not received a tax bill and that your MF bill includes an amount for "Tax, if Applicable."

When a property is sold/resold after 1/1/11, it triggers a reassessment and, if the assessment is changed, a supplemental tax bill or credit (check) is sent to the new owner. I received a credit/check based upon my low resale price.

See link: http://www.countytreasurer.org/supplement.aspx

I have no idea what your first use year is (it may matter; mine was 2012 and I assume your is, too) and whether or not what Starwood included in your (seemingly alone) WDW MF for 2012 was an addition for an estimated 2011 supplemental tax bill, an estimated 2012 tax bill that will be sent to the property (because bills will not be mailed to an international destination - "if applicable") or whether it is just a mistake.

But, the usual procedure is for the owner to receive the yearly tax bill and the tax bill is not included in the MF of a CA timeshare owner.

Why don't you call Starwood Association Services (From the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico: 1-800-729-8246) or WDW to find out what the line item was on your 2012 MF bill?

BTW, this thread was supposed to be for posting of amounts of 2012 MFs and not for general discussions of how MFs are assessed or collected. But, it has morphed into something else - and you asked. Salty

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Property taxes

Paraphrased from an SVO response:

Westin Desert Willow owners are billed by the HOA. Riverside County agreed to bill the HOA for the property taxes when they built WDW. The taxes show up a separate line item on the annual invoice.

Westin Mission Hills owners are billed directly by Riverside County.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the follow up!

Glorian

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Does SVN charge their normal 10% surcharge for the property taxes to handle the transaction? Or are they providing this as a service and not earning anything for it?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I wanted to review all the MFs for this year and created a doc to help me review all that has been posted here. I suspect some of you might be interested in this type of general overview, as well. It's not complete by any means...in particular, it needs:
  • confirmation that certain unit sizes were/were not sold in that configuration
  • separation of MF from taxes (many are correct, some are not)
  • clarification where certain units are sold in a configuration not specifically available via SOs (WSJ, etc)
  • more details! this is missing many for PGA, Steamboat, HRA, Riverfront
As I have time I'll update this with previous years MF so we can more easily keep track of historical trends, etc.

http://sdrv.ms/LnczOI

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I wanted to review all the MFs for this year and created a doc to help me review all that has been posted here. I suspect some of you might be interested in this type of general overview, as well. It's not complete by any means...in particular, it needs:
  • confirmation that certain unit sizes were/were not sold in that configuration
  • separation of MF from taxes (many are correct, some are not)
  • clarification where certain units are sold in a configuration not specifically available via SOs (WSJ, etc)
  • more details! this is missing many for PGA, Steamboat, HRA, Riverfront
As I have time I'll update this with previous years MF so we can more easily keep track of historical trends, etc.

http://sdrv.ms/LnczOI

Ken - Excellent and useful information.

There is a tax listed for one of the WKORV villas ($130.21), but taxes for WKORV/N are an Ad Valorem {sp?} tax that is included in the MFs, and not a separate property tax.

The property tax for a 2Bd TH WSJ-VG is ~$130 (it actually varies somewhat depending on the arbituary assessment) - but that is the approx amount we paid. The WSJ-VG property tax is based on 1999 assessment and rate - and will soon change dramatically upwards.

There is no 1Bd or studio sold separately at WPORV - like WKORVN - they are all 2Bd LOs.

Last edited:

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
2012 Sheraton Desert Oasis
2 Bd. L/O - $986.08 = $764.39 (oper maint fee) + $221.69 (reserves fee)
1 Bd Dlx - $677.93 = $525.52 (oper maint fee) + $152.41 (reserves fee)
1 Bd Std - $575.21 = $445.89 (oper maint fee) + $129.32 (reserves fee)
Biennial weeks are one-half of those shown above plus a $20 bookkeeping fee

Denise, any chance you can edit your post #2 in this thread to include this with the summary data? (just because I'm lazy and don't want to scroll through four pages to get to it)

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paraphrased from an SVO response:

Westin Desert Willow owners are billed by the HOA. Riverside County agreed to bill the HOA for the property taxes when they built WDW. The taxes show up a separate line item on the annual invoice.

Westin Mission Hills owners are billed directly by Riverside County.

Are WDW owners billed different hoa amounts based on their individual prop 13 purchase price, which could vary substantially over time and between resale vs retail? If not, is this agreement legal under CA property tax laws?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I am not a lawyer. I am just quite surprised that a CA county is billing the hoa for property taxes on property owned by owners, which under ca prop 13 law could vary substantially for otherwise identical units purchased at different times. :confused:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are WDW owners billed different hoa amounts based on their individual prop 13 purchase price, which could vary substantially over time and between resale vs retail? If not, is this agreement legal under CA property tax laws?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I am not a lawyer. I am just quite surprised that a CA county is billing the hoa for property taxes on property owned by owners, which under ca prop 13 law could vary substantially for otherwise identical units purchased at different times. :confused:

I assume "prop 13" refers to some California statute?

I'm afraid that I have no idea about how that applies, I'm Canadian... :cheer: