• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] MF/Membership Fee - If Applicable

ded4025

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott NCV
DVC VGF
We purchased a resale SDO last year. When I paid my MF's this month, I did not pay the $125 for Membership Fee - If Applicable because I thought that was only if we had StarOptions. Starwoods just called saying I need to pay that $125, can somebody explain what that fee is for?

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
We purchased a resale SDO last year. When I paid my MF's this month, I did not pay the $125 for Membership Fee - If Applicable because I thought that was only if we had StarOptions. Starwoods just called saying I need to pay that $125, can somebody explain what that fee is for?

I would say that they think you still are in SVN.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is a common billing error - the fee is only for SVN members - resales at SDO do no qualify - did you tell them that you bought resale? They should be able to look it up in their records.

ded4025

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott NCV
DVC VGF
This is a common billing error - the fee is only for SVN members - resales at SDO do no qualify - did you tell them that you bought resale? They should be able to look it up in their records.

I'm on the phone with them now, third person and they all are telling me I'm in SVN!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm on the phone with them now, third person and they all are telling me I'm in SVN!!

That's just painfully stupid on their part - can't they see that you bought resale?

Ask them how many Staroptions your resale week has... :D

ded4025

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott NCV
DVC VGF
Finally! He looked up the rule with me on the phone to just "double check" and he said I was right, resale can't be SVN members! Wow, really disappointed with Starwoods.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Finally! He looked up the rule with me on the phone to just "double check" and he said I was right, resale can't be SVN members! Wow, really disappointed with Starwoods.

That's pathetic - that is very basic info. that they should KNOW!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
That's pathetic - that is very basic info. that they should KNOW!

Pathetic, and also typical for Starwood. No surprise here.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
ded4025, ... On November 13, you posted on another thread:

"Our new SDO deed was mailed to Starwood on Ocober 27, when I called them on November 10, they said they haven't received it yet.

Btw, I used the contact info listed in the Starwood Owners Resources to contact Jose Pagan two times by email, he never replied to either one of my emails. If you need to reach them, best bet is to call."

The SDO bills were supposed to be mailed on November 28, but were received starting December 21, 2011.

You say you paid the bill. You did not say that it was mailed to you. Could it be that the 2012 bill may have been addressed and mailed to the prior owner and sent on to you for payment?. Or, it could have been mailed to you as the newly named owner but without the fee having been removed. In either event it looks like your trouble was caused by bad timing. A transfer recorded on the books of the resort days before the MF bill went out or recorded after the bills were printed.

You did the right thing by not paying (although it might have been easier to call Starwood about the billing error rather than waiting for Starwood to call you about non-payment). Glad it got straightened out. There is no excuse for the collection person not knowing that an ownership change kills the SVN fee at SDO. ... eom

ded4025

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott NCV
DVC VGF

Ok, just a quick update. After being told on the phone back on 1/30 that I don't owe for SVN and everything is taking care of, what do I get in the mail today? A bill for $125 for the SVN Membership fee that I don't have!!!

Really Starwood..... we expected better.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Ok, just a quick update. After being told on the phone back on 1/30 that I don't owe for SVN and everything is taking care of, what do I get in the mail today? A bill for $125 for the SVN Membership fee that I don't have!!!

Really Starwood..... we expected better.

Yes, me too. I also got a bill for SVN for my Sheraton Broadway Plantation resale week. They are telling me I am going to collections. ;) I called and told them not to bill me anymore for something I cannot get. The guy was very nice and sent a message to accounting, while I was waiting. He said, "Do you mind taking a short survey?"

I said, "I don't think you want me doing a survey right now." Not that it is his fault, but calling multiple times for this same issue, and having people tell me it's taken care of, no, I don't think I should do any surveys. :rofl:

Still, I couldn't be happier with Starwood in general. I think they have nice people and I get great service (except my fees are way too high on SBP:( ).

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Guess who just called. Starwood. All I have to do is post something on TUG, and I get a call from Starwood. :eek:

squeeze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guess who just called. Starwood. All I have to do is post something on TUG, and I get a call from Starwood. :eek:

That's funny. I think they are stalking you. :eek: :clap:

When I have an issue can I have you post it as though it's your issue so it can be resolved w/in 30 minutes instead of never.?:rolleyes:

That's just way too funny.:p

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
This exact thing happened to me.

I picked up a SBP resale in late December, had to call Starwood to pay my MF via phone. When I did, the agent I spoke to ABSOLUTELY INSISTED I needed to pay the SVN fee. I went around and around with her, getting no where, finally asked to speak with her supervisor. She was exasperated- "Can you please tell me what problem you have with being in SVN?!". I explained I had no problem with it, would in fact love the option- however since I can't be a member, I'm opposed to paying the SVN fee. I eventually got her to check with a supervisor and she came back to tell me that I was right and I did not need to pay the SVN fee. (When I asked her to check on availability of summer weeks, she also ABSOLUTELY INSISTED that I owned a fixed week and that was all I could book. Sigh, I then had to explain the whole floating week concept to her. She finally said that I knew more about it than she did. I told her I honestly hoped that was not true, I had just picked the thing up and actually knew very little about it.)

I also got a notice today that I am being sent to collections for unpaid SVN fees.

Cindy, if they call you again, could you just give them my number as well?! So far I have been unimpressed with Starwood.

H

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Cindy, if they call you again, could you just give them my number as well?! So far I have been unimpressed with Starwood.

H

See, I'd have played it differently. I'd have paid the $125 fee, and then called to book an exchange via SVN. They bill me for a service, I pay the fee, and I assume that I'm a member of that club.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
See, I'd have played it differently. I'd have paid the $125 fee, and then called to book an exchange via SVN. They bill me for a service, I pay the fee, and I assume that I'm a member of that club.

I actually thought about doing that! But I was sure I'd be found out in the end :wall:

H

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

That's how my WMH week got in SVN. After 2/3 years I pushed the issue with them and they decided to just keep it in SVN rather than refund the money. Of course, I don't have a plat week so I've never bothered to use the associated SOs.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

H

I wish I could say the issue is over.

We got a call yesterday about it, and now today Gina with accounting called me. She started out by asking why I hadn't paid my SVN fee, then she said, "Oh, wait a minute, I see a request of a credit to your account." She said the auto-dialer calls everyone with a balance due. Well, maybe you guys ought to get it together over there. ;)

I told her I have gotten a bill in the mail threatening to send me to collections, and now daily calls, three days in a row. I am a little sick of the hassle, because I have called myself many times to straighten it out.

Starwood, are you reading this? I am sure you are. :rofl:

Rick is in total disbelief that we are dealing with this every single day. I pay my bills!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
That's how my WMH week got in SVN. After 2/3 years I pushed the issue with them and they decided to just keep it in SVN rather than refund the money. Of course, I don't have a plat week so I've never bothered to use the associated SOs.

Well maybe I should have just paid it then. I'm just not sure it would really be worth $125/yr for 37,000 SO. We're more interested in Hawaii than the Caribbean. :shrug:

H

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Well maybe I should have just paid it then. I'm just not sure it would really be worth $125/yr for 37,000 SO. We're more interested in Hawaii than the Caribbean. :shrug:

H

As I wrote, I've never used the SOs from my WMH week. But, it's only $33 (or whatever the cost is now) for a second week in SVN for me. I also wouldn't be surprised to find myself buy another platinum WKV this year, or perhaps next, in which case it won't cost any extra. Though by then I may just give the week away :)

sb74

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish I could say the issue is over.

We got a call yesterday about it, and now today Gina with accounting called me. She started out by asking why I hadn't paid my SVN fee, then she said, "Oh, wait a minute, I see a request of a credit to your account." She said the auto-dialer calls everyone with a balance due. Well, maybe you guys ought to get it together over there. ;)

I told her I have gotten a bill in the mail threatening to send me to collections, and now daily calls, three days in a row. I am a little sick of the hassle, because I have called myself many times to straighten it out.

Starwood, are you reading this? I am sure you are. :rofl:

Rick is in total disbelief that we are dealing with this every single day. I pay my bills!
Bumping this thread because, three years later, these repeated robo-calls continue to happen.

Short of calling the toll-free Association Management number and struggling with the sometimes not-so-knowledgeable agents, is there anything else one can do?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bumping this thread because, three years later, these repeated robo-calls continue to happen.

Short of calling the toll-free Association Management number and struggling with the sometimes not-so-knowledgeable agents, is there anything else one can do?

Change the number on your account to your cell phone - then block their number on your phone.

sb74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Change the number on your account to your cell phone - then block their number on your phone.
Sorry, should've also noted that my Owners Association has sent me an account invoice for the SVN Membership Fee (plus the Voluntary ARDA Contribution) as well, with the notation:

Currently your account is past due. To avoid any additional charges remit payment immediately. Please note that partial payments made to your account will not stop the collection process.

Because I'm receiving these via snail mail, should I simply ignore them (at the risk of incurring additional charges, however unjustified)?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

H
Why does this never happen on the voluntary platinum plus weeks?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella

I'd call someone in SVO corporate and complain loudly. The agents on the Reservation line won't be able to help.