• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2012] Help for first time trip

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!

Bxian

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Viapinta-I see that you are in Toms River. Alaska airlines has flights from Philadelphia to Hawaii that stop in Seattle overnight. The flights leave PHL at 5:55 PM. If you get the Alaska credit card, there is a $99 companion pass that can be used any time 2 seats are available. Basically, it is buy 1, get the second for $99. We used this option and flew through Seattle to Kauai last Thursday night. The overnight in Seattle
Was not bad -we caught the shuttle to the Fairfield Inn and went right to bed. We found that we got acclimated quickly to Kauai time by doing this. I am pretty sure that you can also connect through to Mauai.
You used to be able to use the companion pass to fly first class (which we did-it was great)-sadly, they took this option away. However, i think it still applies to any coach fare.
On an earlier trip to the Big Island, we stopped in San Francisco for 2 nights on our way home-also very nice.

dsyrcle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Baggage not held over 12 hours

If you want to break up the flight, consider booking on Alaska Airlines. You can get flights that have 12+ hour layovers in Seattle. That way, you can check your luggage all the way through, book an airport hotel, and take overnight stuff in your carry on. That way you can arrive in Hawaii earlier, just in time for check-in, and leave late at night, so you get maximum use of the last day. We're planning on doing that when we go next February.

We discovered on a trip this spring that Alaska does not hold baggage longer than 12 hours. You must claim them on arrival and recheck them the next day. You will not be charged additional baggage fees if the next leg is on the same itinerary. You have to mention this at the ticket counter when you check in the next day or you will automatically be charged the baggage fee.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We discovered on a trip this spring that Alaska does not hold baggage longer than 12 hours. You must claim them on arrival and recheck them the next day. You will not be charged additional baggage fees if the next leg is on the same itinerary. You have to mention this at the ticket counter when you check in the next day or you will automatically be charged the baggage fee.

Thanks, I'm glad we found out before our trip. :)

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Watch at Grand Dunes
Bxian.I just checked out the Alaska Air Credit Card. Are those companion tickets readily available because that would be the only reason I would get this CC. I like the idea of flying out of Philly to Seattle. I would never have thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion

Bxian

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I got theAlaska credit card in early May-I would call and ask how long it takes to get the pass. I think it was only a few weeks. We waited until we got the companion pass to book our flights for a late August trip. Note that you will have to stay overnight at the Seattle airport each way. We signed up for the Marriott Megabonus promo and got a free night in a category 1-4 Maririott, which we will use this summer as part of our vacation.

Us air also has a card with a companion pass-not sure of restrictions.

For Alaska, it is my understanding that as long as there are 2coach seats available on the flight, you can use the companion pass for one of them.

We went to Kauai the last week of August-the California families are all back in school so it is less crowded. I hear hat winter can be pricey and rainy.

TMG

Reaction score
Bxian.I just checked out the Alaska Air Credit Card. Are those companion tickets readily available because that would be the only reason I would get this CC. I like the idea of flying out of Philly to Seattle. I would never have thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion

Here is another suggestion for the flight from Philly to Hawaii. I am looking to travel this October, taking Southwest from Philly to Las Vegas on a morning non-stop (plenty of other one-stop options), spending the day and evening visiting relatives, then taking the 1:50 AM Hawaiian Airlines flight to Honolulu. After a 6 hour flight It arrives at 5:00 AM with plenty of connecting flights available to all the other islands. Similarly on the return trip, we will come back to Honolulu early in the day, see Pearl Harbor and the like, then catch a 10:30 red-eye back to Vegas. Southwest back to Philly. More time to play in the sunshine as we fly overnight, and no hotel costs.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I havent been to Oahu (will be there next month). I dont snorkel very much but I think all the islands have good places to snorkel. The thing about Hawaii over most other places is that it has the mountains and the ocean.

The Big Island is my favorite but that includes alot of driving. Kauai would be my second favorite because for such a small island it has so much to offer. Take Ke 'e Beach. It is at the end of the road on the Princeville side. You are in the water, good beach and not so crowded once you park. You are out in the water, facing the ocean, so beautiful, warm water, perfect. Then you turn and face land, the most beautiful lush mountain scenery ever. If you want to hike to a waterfall or spend the day at the beach, you dont need to leave the parking place.

Go to the library and get the Revealled books (they have them for each island) and spend some time reading. Then which ever island you choose, go to the store and buy that book.